MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 quick engineering questions clouds First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-08-2010 09:38 PM
Materials Engineering and International Studies Questions! Hasselman Academics 3 06-18-2010 02:01 AM
Laptop Questions (Engineering) MiniDragon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 89 06-06-2010 10:14 PM
Questions about bursaries and Engineering jackets HeatherH General Discussion 39 02-07-2009 12:04 PM
Engineering 1C03 questions kenvin100 Academics 4 01-07-2009 03:02 PM

Engineering Questions

Old 09-15-2010 at 03:34 PM   #1
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Engineering Questions
Hello

I just Have many questions for engineering

Most of all How is the marking system done, I saw 7 for Civil, 4 .... etc

What do they mean?

I also read that if you get Below 4 you cant join engineering, What happens to you then?

I want to go into Civil engineering coop and Management.

My high school average with my top 6 is 87.7 would I get first pick for second year?

How strong is the competition for this sort of program that I am hoping for?

About the work load How much time a day is recommended that I should study per day?

Is engineering really hard? I am not that strong in Calculus will I manage?

any good advice for me is appreciated

thank you
Old 09-15-2010 at 03:41 PM   #2
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

I'll help the little bit I can, which isn't a lot since I've only been in eng for a week now so far

From what I'm told so long as you have fairly good marks 1st year/term you more or less can get into your stream of choice. Of course that all depends on how many other people are trying to get in and their marks, but generally speaking.

Material doesn't seem too hard so far, but it's all review right now, so yeah... in our calc class we're basically doing grade 11 functions stuff, so it's really easy. I took an extra year of high school and "forgot" to review all my stuff since the end of grade 12, and most of this is still familiar to me. The content probably isn't too bad, but the workload is the big change for me, since I'm used to procrastinating + slacking, a beautiful combo
Old 09-15-2010 at 03:41 PM   #3
mOeeOm

Liked: 9 Times

The marking system is the cumulative average: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...ent/pg145.html

If your cumulative average is below 4 after you complete first year, you get kicked out of engineering and must apply to be reinstated.

87.7 Should get you in and you should get free choice, I got it with an 86 average (but 5 years ago, not sure if things changed). The competition is high and you judge how much time you should study, this isn't highschool anymore no one will hold your hand. Being weak in calculus will hurt you definitely, but there is help and you can study more.

mfattal likes this.
Old 09-15-2010 at 03:56 PM   #4
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
Hello

I just Have many questions for engineering

Most of all How is the marking system done, I saw 7 for Civil, 4 .... etc
What do they mean?
Those numbers are just the estimated average you will need to get into that program. It changes every year depening on how many people apply and what the grades of these people applying are. Last year, all the averages were quite low.

Quote:

I also read that if you get Below 4 you cant join engineering, What happens to you then?
Basically you need a cumulative average of 4 to stay in the Engineering program. So if your average is less than that you wont be in Engineering. If your average is less than 3 or 3.5 (not sure) you get kicked out of McMaster.

Quote:
I want to go into Civil engineering coop and Management.

My high school average with my top 6 is 87.7 would I get first pick for second year?
If you were getting first choice, it would have said in your acceptance package. Im pretty sure last year it was 90%+.

Quote:

How strong is the competition for this sort of program that I am hoping for?
This year, Mechanical, Civil and Electrical + biomedical were the most competitive to get into. Also management. As far as i remember, 6.5 for management, 6.4 mechanical, 6.3 for electrical + biomedical and Civil. Like for example, my top choice this year was civil+management. I got in but I switched out in the summer and am now in Electrical+management .

Quote:
About the work load How much time a day is recommended that I should study per day?
Now, I'm probly not the best person to give you information on this one. I spent a LOT of time in the common room, killing time. Played a lot of games and watched a lot of stuff on my pc. ALso, everyone is different. Some people may have to study every night while others can study the week of a test and still do well. My advice would be to study what you feel you need work on.

Quote:
Is engineering really hard? I am not that strong in Calculus will I manage?

any good advice for me is appreciated
Engineering is not as hard as people make it out to be. Just requires a great deal of understanding and some good study skills on your part. You should do fine as long as you take the time to make sure you study everything. For math, just do the practice problems and practice tests. If your unclear of stuff, ask the prof or go to the math help sessions.
thank you

mfattal likes this.
Old 09-15-2010 at 08:26 PM   #5
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Forgot to mention, if you have administrative questions, talk to Sally Williams in JHE A214. SHes really helpful
Old 09-15-2010 at 08:39 PM   #6
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
Forgot to mention, if you have administrative questions, talk to Sally Williams in JHE A214. SHes really helpful
Thanks I got all my questions answered