MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering Questions mfattal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-15-2010 08:39 PM
2 quick engineering questions clouds First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-08-2010 09:38 PM
Materials Engineering and International Studies Questions! Hasselman Academics 3 06-18-2010 02:01 AM
Laptop Questions (Engineering) MiniDragon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 89 06-06-2010 10:14 PM
Engineering 1C03 questions kenvin100 Academics 4 01-07-2009 03:02 PM

Questions about bursaries and Engineering jackets

Old 02-04-2009 at 06:10 PM   #1
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Questions about bursaries and Engineering jackets
Hi! I have 2 questions, hopefully someone can help me out.

The first is about bursaries. I've heard about them but I've always been under the impression that you needed to use OSAP to get a bursary. Is this true? If not, how could I go about applying for one/what do you have to do to apply? I've checked the Mac website but I can't seem to find much explaination on there.

My second question is about Engineering jackets. I'm thinking about getting one for my boyfriend. I checked the Engineering Society website but I didn't find anything (I assume it's because they aren't available for sale right now - I think it's only once a year). Does anyone know when they are for sale and how I could go about getting one? All I know about them is that they are very expensive.

Thank you !!
Old 02-04-2009 at 07:03 PM   #2
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

You can apply for a bursary and if you get it, you get it.

As for engineering jackets, they are available once or twice per year and are usually around $400 (though that price may have changed). You will have to contact the Drain coordinator (contact info on MES website) and talk to him/her.

Usually they are ordered at the beginning of October and some time in January but it's worth a shot to ask.
Old 02-04-2009 at 07:06 PM   #3
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Is there a page on a Mac site that explains how to apply for bursaries and when to do it? I'm having trouble finding that.

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-04-2009 at 07:28 PM   #4
DannyV
Elite Member

It's in MUGSI, under financial aid or something like that.
Old 02-04-2009 at 09:55 PM   #5
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Alright, I printed off the application.

Does anyone know the odds of getting a bursary? My dad made a decent amount of money in the past few years, but he just got laid off. I have always paid my own tuition but the application says I have to include my dad's Tax Assessment.

My parents are under the impression that I have no chance of getting a bursary because of my dad's salary. Does anyone know? Has anyone got one even though their parent(s) made decent money a few years prior?

Thanks.
Old 02-04-2009 at 11:11 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

It all depends on who can apply (based on any of the following groups [or others]: program, faculty, school, province, nation), how much it's worth, how many are available, and if you can get it without OSAP.

Most bursaries you can't as they are given to students who have financial need.

You have nothing to lose though, so you might as well try.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-04-2009 at 11:14 PM   #7
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

That's very frustrating, because I do have financial need. Just because my dad makes money doesn't mean he pays for my tuition. :(
Thanks. I'll apply anyway and see what happens.
Old 02-04-2009 at 11:47 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I don't disagree with you; I know lots of people who pay for their own schooling but can't get OSAP (or much) because of how much money their parents make.

I think it's stupid.

Next year consider a bank loan, apparently they can be more beneficial than OSAP in a lot of ways. I however don't know how one would go about applying for one.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-05-2009 at 06:15 AM   #9
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

For a bank loan you just basically go in with a parent (they have to sign something for you to get it) and you talk to one of the staff there, not the people at the counters but the people in the offices, and you'll get assessed and you'll get money every year. The thing with a bank loan is that the interest starts as soon as you take money out of it but it isn't as large of an interest as with OSAP.
You can usually get quite a bit of money (up to $15000 a year) and you are not required to use all of it. You only use what you need to use, whereas with OSAP even if you don't end up needing it you have to take it. The bank loan is nice to have just in case you need the money.
Old 02-05-2009 at 09:50 AM   #10
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

I was under the impression that OSAP didn't collect interest ?

And bursaries you don't have to pay back at all, which is why I was looking into them.
Old 02-05-2009 at 09:56 AM   #11
DannyV
Elite Member

OSAP collects interest once you've been out of full time studies for more than 6 months (and some other rules apply). The benefit of OSAP over bank loans (IMO) is that you don't have to pay it back as soon as you take the money. Also, applying for OSAP sometimes qualifies you for bursaries based on need.
Old 02-05-2009 at 10:33 AM   #12
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

In all honesty, do people actually think those engineering jackets are cool? I think they just point out that you're intention is to be an arrogant douche, considering the only ones that actually wear them are pretty much entirely engineers...

It makes you look really dumb when you have an engineering jacket for a certain stream, but still show up in first year classes (i.e. a few people in my math class).
Old 02-05-2009 at 10:59 AM   #13
Chris L

Liked: 0 Times

Personally, I don't really like the look of them. And they cost $400? Wow

qwerty91 says thanks to Chris L for this post.
Old 02-05-2009 at 01:27 PM   #14
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
In all honesty, do people actually think those engineering jackets are cool? I think they just point out that you're intention is to be an arrogant douche, considering the only ones that actually wear them are pretty much entirely engineers...

It makes you look really dumb when you have an engineering jacket for a certain stream, but still show up in first year classes (i.e. a few people in my math class).
Why does it make them look dumb when they go to first year classes with their jackets? It's not necessarily the case that they failed the class in first year, if that's what you're implying.

I know (for my boyfriend anyway) that they have so many required courses, they can't all fit in the specified year. So in second year, he had to go back and take (I think) a Level I economics and a Level I math course because they didn't fit in first year.
Now he's in third year, and he has to take a Level II course that didn't fit in his schedule last year.

It's not that he failed them, it's that he didn't have room to take them the first time around.
Old 02-05-2009 at 04:04 PM   #15
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

I would hope that only engineers wear ENGINEERING jackets...

I think he means the obviously first year students IN engineering with things like "elec eng '13" when you aren't in it for sure though.