MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
level 2 comp eng courses inquiry Kevinabrahak Academics 4 05-27-2012 09:33 AM
Mission Fireball - NEW Engineering, Comp Sci & B.Tech Info Site wolfgang General Discussion 15 06-26-2011 07:51 PM
Engineering Level Cut-offs* kanishka MacInsiders Announcements 72 11-28-2010 11:17 PM
Anyone going to Engineering Level 2 ????? endearing66 Academics 15 07-06-2009 05:59 AM
SOLAR Level 1 Engineering tungo89 Academics 8 07-02-2008 09:52 PM

course description for level 2 comp engineering

Old 05-27-2012 at 11:07 PM   #1
Kevinabrahak

Liked: 8 Times

course description for level 2 comp engineering
Hey,

I have been accepted into level 2 computer Engineering. I thought I'd work ahead and educate myself a bit more on the programming courses i'd be taking. I was informed that these were the programming courses for level 2 computer engineers (B. ENG ) : 2SH4, 2SI4, 3K04,2DI4, 2DP4

As per the course listings, I do not see 3K04 as a COMP course for 2nd year. Could anyone confirm that.

Level II: 39 units

16 units COMP ENG 2DI4, 2DP4, 2SH4, 2SI4
17 units ELEC ENG 2CI5, 2CJ4, 2EI5, 2FH3
3 units MATH 2Z03
3 units approved complementary studies electives

Would really appreciate if I could receive a brief description of each of these courses in terms of difficulty, what I would be learning.
Additionally, what is the ' Verilog course '. Is this something I would looking into for 2nd year Comp Engineering ???

thanks
Old 05-28-2012 at 06:18 AM   #2
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

3K04 is SFWR ENG 3K04 and it is a third year course.

The "verilog" course is COMP ENG 3DQ5 which is also a third year course

Note: these course may have changed some, I took them two years ago.

2DI4 - boolean logic mostly
2DP4 - boolean logic, assembly language, some C using a microcontroller
2SH4 - programming using C and Java
2SI4 - programming using Java

2CI5 - circuit analysis, power, differential equations
2CJ4 - circuit analysis, transformers
2EI5 - microelectronic circuits, a lot of transistor circuit analysis
2FH3 - electromagnetics, electric fields, magnetic fields, flux, etc.

2Z03 - differential equations, some Laplace transforms

approved complementary studies electives - see here: http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/documents/electives.pdf

Last edited by RTinkess31 : 05-28-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-28-2012 at 12:36 PM   #3
Kevinabrahak

thanks.

Also, how were the C and Java courses in terms of difficulty. Do you require prior knowledge of these programming languages or do the profs teach them from the beginning? I have not much knowledge of these programming languages. Would you recommend that I look it prior to the start of the year ?

Were the programmes more logic oriented or did it emphasize more on the syntax? Would really appreciate it. thanks
Old 06-12-2012 at 10:39 PM   #4
Kevinabrahak

guys !! help me out here... i've been debating whether to continue with computer Engineering for level 2 or switch to electrical for looonggg ....

The "verilog" courses , COMP ENG 3DQ5 which is a 3rd year course i believe is more of a hardware programming course. I also figure this is really hard course that few students have 'feared' the most i do wish to know more about it. Ive looked up the course description, asked a few colleagues. NOT BEEN SOO SUCCESSFUL !!

would really appreciate if someone could pass on any sort of link, webpage that I can look up for more info on the same so i could decide whether to continue or switch (most likely to electrical ).
Old 06-12-2012 at 11:02 PM   #5
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Well you can always stick to comp eng second year, the only difference is you dont take math instead you take comp 2dp4, which elec take anyway. so comp>elec doesnt waste any classes. while if you do elec to comp you wasted time taking 2zz3 which if its anything like this year...a pain

What kinda info are you looking for in particular
Old 06-12-2012 at 11:31 PM   #6
Kevinabrahak

for COMP ENG 3DQ5, im looking for info that might help me understand better what the course is all about as i figured 3rd year computer engineering is about few courses like these that few have 'hated' and others have found 'interesting'. this might help me decide about the switch.

Im looking for the course content, areas where the knowledge is more likely to be used, difficulty level and so on.