MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course Drop jitnikovi Academics 3 11-07-2011 05:32 PM
Will an overdue payment affect my registration? amare Academics 0 06-12-2011 08:23 PM
how do summer courses affect your gpa otieno Academics 3 05-30-2011 08:18 PM
OSAP on hold - how will it affect me? karen1o3o First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-14-2009 09:10 PM
Last day to drop? shleyaa Academics 1 08-13-2008 07:33 PM

Course drop and affect on OSAP?

Old 03-08-2012 at 08:54 PM   #1
Oilenroc

Liked: 3 Times

Course drop and affect on OSAP?
I'm going to drop one of my elective courses and make up for the course in the future. If I drop it tonight, I get a 10% refund, where if I drop it tomorrow there will be nothing.

My problem is, I am worried that OSAP will charge me back for some of the money they gave me on loan. I do have to notify them of any course cancellations right? How much exactly would they charge me, 10% of the loan amount? And because I would have payed for 90% of the course that I am dropping, wouldn't it be fair if they didn't charge me any more than 10% of the course, because I did stay in it for 3 months?

I might have to reconsider dropping the course if I have to pay osap back like $800... however, if the fee is low, less than $100 it shouldn't affect me, so how much do you think they would charge me back?
Old 03-08-2012 at 09:08 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

I got 360$ overcharge from dropping a course... i dont have to pay it back though, becuase you're allowed to have one overcharge in your osap career. Best to pay off overcharges because future ones could be more (what i was told)
Old 03-08-2012 at 09:10 PM   #3
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

you go to that office in gilmour hall and fill out a form... you then get a notice of overpayment from OSAP.. they ignore the first one.. but if you do it again i think you have to repay before you are entitled to receive OSAP the following year

i did the same thing... and i think they charged me like 200 or something like that

*edit*
ninjad
Old 03-08-2012 at 09:17 PM   #4
Oilenroc

Let me get this straight.

So I won't have to ever pay the first overcharge?
And avoid getting 2 or more, because then I will have to pay it or I might run the risk of not receiving assistance in the future?
Old 03-08-2012 at 09:57 PM   #5
Reddishh

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilenroc View Post
I'm going to drop one of my elective courses and make up for the course in the future. If I drop it tonight, I get a 10% refund, where if I drop it tomorrow there will be nothing.

My problem is, I am worried that OSAP will charge me back for some of the money they gave me on loan. I do have to notify them of any course cancellations right? How much exactly would they charge me, 10% of the loan amount? And because I would have payed for 90% of the course that I am dropping, wouldn't it be fair if they didn't charge me any more than 10% of the course, because I did stay in it for 3 months?

I might have to reconsider dropping the course if I have to pay osap back like $800... however, if the fee is low, less than $100 it shouldn't affect me, so how much do you think they would charge me back?
Hey, where does it say you can get 10% back if you drop by today? and how do you drop the course??
Old 03-08-2012 at 10:02 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddishh View Post
Hey, where does it say you can get 10% back if you drop by today? and how do you drop the course??
http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/student/p...ncellation.pdf

Cancel a course on SOLAR.
Old 03-08-2012 at 10:07 PM   #7
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Let me get this straight.

So I won't have to ever pay the first overcharge?
And avoid getting 2 or more, because then I will have to pay it or I might run the risk of not receiving assistance in the future?
you will eventually have to pay it back when you finish school... they just dont hunt you down for the first.... they will however ask u explicitly to repay the second and withhold future loans
Old 03-08-2012 at 10:09 PM   #8
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Pretty much. But payback isnt that much. it wouldnt be more than the price of a course.
Old 03-08-2012 at 10:13 PM   #9
Reddishh

Liked: 0 Times

so do we have to report it to OSAP? I mean, can't they just know by looking at our transcript? I didn't know we had to report it to them as well.
Old 03-08-2012 at 10:16 PM   #10
Oilenroc

I am also interested in knowing what happens if you do not report it to osap.
Old 03-09-2012 at 08:42 AM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
I am also interested in knowing what happens if you do not report it to osap.
They find out... and they do stuff to you...

Basically I didn't get any funding this semester (supposed to get 2k$) and I had an overcharge fee (still havn't paid it).

(although, maybe it was just a coincidence my funding overall this year is only a 1/4 of what it was previously...)