MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course Registration Reda General Discussion 3 05-29-2011 11:10 PM
Course Registration Day tallison Academics 13 05-23-2011 03:36 PM
Course Registration is up. lux Academics 9 05-22-2011 12:30 PM
registration birko First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-28-2010 01:13 PM
Course Registration.....HELP! EngLufLuf General Discussion 4 06-17-2009 04:57 PM

Course Registration

Old 06-24-2011 at 11:35 PM   #1
slickswift

Liked: 0 Times

Course Registration
Does anyone know when the last day for course registration is?
Old 06-24-2011 at 11:37 PM   #2
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

All the dates that you should note can be found in the attachment.

EDIT: The last day for adding/dropping courses for term 1 is Friday, September 16.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /registered/sessional.html
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SOLAR 201109 entry schedule FINAL.pdf (51.9 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Watoko : 06-24-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-24-2011 at 11:41 PM   #3
slickswift

Thanks. Although I'm still a bit confused. I'm guessing that August 1st would be the last day since sectioning is the day after?
Old 06-24-2011 at 11:46 PM   #4
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

I believe you have up to 1 week from your level's start date to register your courses. After that, you will be unable to modify your courses until AFTER sectioning, which would be Wednesday, August 10, 8:30 a.m. Then you have until Friday, September 16 as your absolutely last date for term 1 course changes.
Old 06-25-2011 at 12:28 AM   #5
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Sectioning just means they generate which "section" of the course you're in. The larger courses have more people than can fit into a single lecture hall. So they split the class, and the students are put into different "sections". Once SOLAR opens after sectioning, you can then change your (core) lection, tutorial, and lab sections.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 06-25-2011 at 12:45 AM   #6
Widdershins

I have a quick question about SOLAR and course selection in general; when you first register for courses, are you given the option of planning the time of your various courses? Should I have a tentative mock timetable planned out with the times I would like or is there not point?
Old 06-25-2011 at 06:17 AM   #7
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Yes, but not without a lot of effort.

MUGSI releases your Undergraduate Personal Timetable, in which you could find your schedule. This year, it happens in August 8 for the Fall/Winter session. It gives you a (usually) completed timetable, and you have If you are satisfied with it or not.

(This part, you could do before the timetable is released, but you may find that you're stuck in certain labs/cores/tutorials, because others are full.)
You could find when cores (C--) (lectures except in Psych 1X03/1XX3), tutorials (T--), and labs (L--) are through this link by entering the course's details: https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/

Then you have to plan out your courses by making a mock timetable. Here's a guide for that: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php/make-mock-timetable-22732.html

After that, you just change the sections on SOLAR. Note: You can't change it before the timetables come out.

tl;dr: Yes, you can plan them. Yes, it helps to have a mock timetable to organize what you want.

Last edited by justinsftw : 06-25-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-25-2011 at 04:13 PM   #8
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoko View Post
I believe you have up to 1 week from your level's start date to register your courses. After that, you will be unable to modify your courses until AFTER sectioning, which would be Wednesday, August 10, 8:30 a.m. Then you have until Friday, September 16 as your absolutely last date for term 1 course changes.
SOLAR opens again for everyone on July 11th, so you can add/drop courses from then on until sectioning.