MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course Selection Help IIkingdrewII First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-25-2011 11:11 PM
course selection gongshow Academics 30 06-06-2011 11:34 AM
When is course selection? Mr.Prodigy Academics 2 06-03-2011 03:54 PM
Course Selection siefer1322 Academics 23 05-27-2009 09:18 AM
course selection Griff Academics 1 08-02-2007 09:10 PM

course selection

Old 04-28-2012 at 06:59 PM   #1
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

course selection
So I just got some of my marks back and I'm kinda apprehensive about my second year program selection.

how important is the program ranking on SOLAR for second year program selection? thanks~

EDIT:
I have 2 programs where admission is limited, and 2 that are unlimited (just as long as I meet the minimum CA req)
should I put the limited admission programs as 1 and 2, then the unlimited as 3 and 4...right?
Old 04-28-2012 at 07:05 PM   #2
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

What program are you in? Try talking to an academic advisor. If engineering moving from some programs to others will not be a problem. Others maybe not so much.
Old 04-28-2012 at 07:08 PM   #3
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

My counsellor used to tell us that we should rank our choices based on what interest us. You should rank your choices from the most interesting to you, to the least interesting.
Hopefully that clears things up.
Old 04-28-2012 at 07:30 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpatel View Post
So I just got some of my marks back and I'm kinda apprehensive about my second year program selection.

how important is the program ranking on SOLAR for second year program selection? thanks~

EDIT:
I have 2 programs where admission is limited, and 2 that are unlimited (just as long as I meet the minimum CA req)
should I put the limited admission programs as 1 and 2, then the unlimited as 3 and 4...right?
If you're not in engineering, ranking doesn't matter, you can pick whichever you want.
I really don't know much about how it works if you are in engineering.
Old 04-28-2012 at 07:45 PM   #5
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
If you're not in engineering, ranking doesn't matter, you can pick whichever you want.
I really don't know much about how it works if you are in engineering.
In first year engineering, you have to rank your second year choices from the most interesting to the least interesting one (according to what you like). The system will automatically check if you have the required GPA for your choice. If you don't meet the cut off for your first choice, the system will give you the second one, and so on. That's why in engineering, it's important for students to rank their second year programs according to what interest them.

Sometimes you can switch between programs once the acceptances are out, but if the program is full you will not be able to switch to it. I know people who got accepted into their first choice, but then they realized that they don't really want it and ended up switching to another one (You can do that if you have the average for it and it's not full).

Last edited by jim1 : 04-28-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2012 at 09:50 PM   #6
drpatel

I am NOT in engineering. I'm in science, and I'm stuck between lifesci (backup), enviro, bioenviro, and PNB. I was wondering if the order in which I put those 4 mattered a whole lot or if it's just arbitrary
Old 04-28-2012 at 09:52 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpatel View Post
I am NOT in engineering. I'm in science, and I'm stuck between lifesci (backup), enviro, bioenviro, and PNB. I was wondering if the order in which I put those 4 mattered a whole lot or if it's just arbitrary
It's completely arbitrary. They might look at it for statistical/planning purposes, but that's about it.
Old 04-28-2012 at 10:58 PM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

You may wish to email [email protected] to confirm this but I do not think you need to list Life Sci as a backup. I believe that if you get the required average for Life Sci but not any of your other programs, you are defaulted to LS.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 04-28-2012 at 11:09 PM   #9
drpatel

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
You may wish to email [email protected] to confirm this but I do not think you need to list Life Sci as a backup. I believe that if you get the required average for Life Sci but not any of your other programs, you are defaulted to LS.
I wasn't technically in science this year, I'm transferring from another faculty. So I actually do need to list it as a backup
Old 04-29-2012 at 08:32 AM   #10
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
It's completely arbitrary. They might look at it for statistical/planning purposes, but that's about it.
This is not entirely true, I heard from Dr.Brennan that most offers for chembio were sent out to those who had it as their first or second choice.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 04-29-2012 at 11:43 AM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
This is not entirely true, I heard from Dr.Brennan that most offers for chembio were sent out to those who had it as their first or second choice.
Maybe, but they wouldn't not allow someone with a good enough average who had it as their 3rd or 4th choice to get in. The entire faculty of science operates the same--you meet the appropriate cutoff, you get accepted. Then, it's up to you to choose which program you want.
Old 04-29-2012 at 12:51 PM   #12
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Yeah...last year, I listend them in a vague order-of-preference, but once you meet the cut off, you're told which of the four listed you can choose from. Like, if you get into all four, you can decide which one you want to go into. If you make the cut-off for only two, you get to choose between those.