MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blocked out of OSCAR ~*Sara*~ Academics 5 10-14-2010 10:32 AM
Blocked from SOLAR AnthraX Academics 13 08-11-2010 08:14 PM
Course is BLOCKED? jdia Academics 9 07-27-2010 10:46 AM
Blocked Courses? aya017 Academics 4 11-26-2008 08:34 PM
SOLAR - Blocked Account? blahblah Academics 5 08-07-2008 02:03 PM

Course Selection with a BLOCKED ACCOUNT?

Old 07-31-2010 at 09:15 PM   #1
ACameron

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Course Selection with a BLOCKED ACCOUNT?
Hey...so I'm in a bit of a rut here and have no idea of how I should tackle it.

Without diving too deep into the story, basically I was financially prepared for first-year with OSAP and parental funding but due to my mother's job termination and father's business down-turn, I have a fairly large outstanding account. And to top it off, I've been unintentionally cut-off from funding entirely because my family has lost it all.

I've applied for OSAP already and am currently working on a line of credit to help offset the outstanding balance and pay for second year, but since I still have an outstanding account as of this moment, when do I actually pick my courses? And go through the payment agreement process?

I'm sure there has to be SOMEBODY who is in this same situation as I am...and so I feel for you, because it is such a burden to have for the school year

Thanks

Old 07-31-2010 at 09:22 PM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I don't have experience with the specifics you're describing but kudos to you for being responsible and on top of things. It's quite admirable to see somebody so proactive when things get messy and it's a refreshing change.
That being said, I would recommend stopping at the STudent Financial Aid and Scholarships office at Mac before you apply for the line of credit because they advise strongly against taking bank loans (where interest starts ASAP, unlike OSAP) and I believe they do have the abilities to help in emergency situations like this, where one experiences unexpected financial crises.

The Student Accounts office should be able to help you work out your payment agreement.
If you didn't apply for OSAP before July 17th, you can no longer use it as a payment option on your payment agreement which might explain the blocked account scenario

That's all I really know/can offer at this point but I really hope things work out for you

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

ACameron says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 07-31-2010 at 09:50 PM   #3
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

I'm in the exact same situation, a long story here as well. Here's the basic summary: you have until September 17th, the "add courses/drop courses" date to pick your courses. You're technically not in any program, but you are a McMaster student, and once you pick your courses and stuff you'll be fine. You just have to pay it off by September 17th. Apply for OSAP ASAP.
Old 08-01-2010 at 12:06 PM   #4
TheHawk
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

You need to call the OSAP help line and request that your financial situation be reassessed taking into account your parents new financial situation. They will increase your eligible funding to reflect the change.
Old 08-01-2010 at 08:28 PM   #5
ACameron

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I've already been given a fairly large estimate from OSAP but it's not enough to cover the oustanding balance and second-year tuition alone, which is why I'm working through a line of credit to pay off the rest.
But since course selection is between June 7th and March 11 (2011) except through August 3rd and August 10th, do I select courses after August 10th?

Old 08-01-2010 at 08:45 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACameron View Post
I've already been given a fairly large estimate from OSAP but it's not enough to cover the oustanding balance and second-year tuition alone, which is why I'm working through a line of credit to pay off the rest.
But since course selection is between June 7th and March 11 (2011) except through August 3rd and August 10th, do I select courses after August 10th?
You can still pick your courses today and tomorrow if you have access. If not, SOLAR reopens on the 11th for all those who have accepted their payment agreements before the 10th.
Old 08-01-2010 at 08:47 PM   #7
Brunette03

Liked: 1 Time

you'll also probably have a better chance getting into courses if you wait until the 11th at this point
Old 08-01-2010 at 08:49 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunette03 View Post
you'll also probably have a better chance getting into courses if you wait until the 11th at this point
But it's still worth a try to see if you can get into courses while it's still open since MUGSI/SOLAR is pretty much empty.
Old 08-01-2010 at 08:50 PM   #9
Brunette03

Liked: 1 Time

very true
SOLAR on the 11th is going to be a nightmare again :(