MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what's the difference between cancel courses and drop courses? cmkc109 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 10-16-2012 10:09 PM
what to do if conflicting courses and both courses are very required? killza Academics 11 06-12-2010 05:08 PM
Do Medical Schools care if I took 4 courses first semester, 5 courses 2nd semester... Arnold General Discussion 6 07-17-2009 03:30 PM
Repetition of Courses: Students may repeat courses that have been failed or for which Arnold Academics 2 12-07-2008 04:39 AM

Courses?

Old 05-28-2013 at 02:41 PM   #1
eebs95

Liked: 1 Time

Courses?
So I am going into business and planning my courses but I have so many questions and the confusion is killing me right now. So, first off do it says on the website that total 1st year courses is 30 units but the required is 18-24 units. What does this exactly mean? Can I just take 18-24 units for the first year?
Old 05-28-2013 at 03:29 PM   #2
Brendan

Liked: 13 Times

Congratulations on getting into the business program!

To complete first-year business, you need to take 30 units - 18-24 required units and 6-12 elective units. Your Grade 12 Math courses determine how many required/elective units that you'll be taking. If you reply back with what Grade 12 Math courses that you took in high school, I can let you know the courses that you'll need to take.
Old 05-28-2013 at 04:22 PM   #3
eebs95

I took Advanced Functions and Calculus & Vectors Thanks for replying back so fast!
Old 05-28-2013 at 04:39 PM   #4
eebs95

Also, should i take a course from the international/cross cultural/language menu in first year since thats a graduation requirement? Any suggestions on electives to take as well?
Old 05-28-2013 at 04:42 PM   #5
Brendan

Since you didn't take Data Management in high school, you need to take STATS 1L03 in first-year. That means that you'll need to take:
  • 0 Units - COMMERCE 1PA0 (Orientation)
  • 3 Units - COMMERCE 1E03 (Business Environment)
  • 6 Units - ECON 1B03 and ECON 1BB3 (Microeconomics and Macroeconomics)
  • 3 Units - COMP SCI 1BA3 (Computing for Business)
  • 3 Units - STATS 1L03 (Linear Algebra and Statistics - you need to take this because you didn't take Data Management in high school)
  • 3 Units - MATH 1M03 (Calculus - you can take MATH 1A03 or MATH 1LS3 instead)
  • 3 Units - Social Science elective (ANTHROP 1AA3, ANTHROP 1AB3, GEOG 1HA3, GEOG 1HB3, POLI SCI 1G06, PSYC 1X03, RELIG ST 1B06, or SOCIOL 1A06)
  • 9 Units - Electives
It is also possible to take a 6 unit Social Science elective. If that were the case, you would just take one less general elective. For example, you could take RELIG ST 1B06 and then only take 6 general electives.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

eebs95 says thanks to Brendan for this post.
Old 05-28-2013 at 04:55 PM   #6
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eebs95 View Post
Also, should i take a course from the international/cross cultural/language menu in first year since thats a graduation requirement? Any suggestions on electives to take as well?
Yeah, I'd reccomend taking one (or two) of the cross cultural electives in case you want to take a minor in upper years (so that you would have more electives available).

My electives were LABR ST 1A03 (Labour Studies), MMEDIA 1A03 (Multimedia), and CMST 1A03 (Communication Studies). My Social Science elective was ANTHROP 1AA3 (Anthropology). I really enjoyed Labour Studies and Anthropology. Labour Studies 1A03 was all about the history of the Canadian labour movement. The workload was pretty light and the subject material was actually interesting. Anthropology 1AA3 focused on sex, food, and death (physical anthropology) and the professor was great. The class was pretty interesting.

eebs95 says thanks to Brendan for this post.
Old 05-28-2013 at 06:02 PM   #7
eebs95

Thank you so much, your opinion really helps!!!