MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Free Day 2011: Free transit, free t-shirts and more! Sustain11 MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-15-2011 04:11 PM
Courses and Units DilC First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 05-10-2010 04:15 PM
Confused about chosing my courses :S and how units work Thom14 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 06-30-2009 08:17 PM
Cost associated with taking more than 30 units? orcymorky Academics 4 06-21-2009 09:49 PM

Are courses above 30 units free of cost?

Old 06-07-2015 at 05:49 PM   #1
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

Are courses above 30 units free of cost?
So, I saw someone mention that anything above 33(30 for other than engineering) units is basically free. SO, as I am doing some courses in the summer, I was wondering if it is the case, as I can do some extra courses, and would love to do em if I know they are free. Anyone has any information? Let me know. Thanks. Source:

Tuition fees are charged to a maximum of 30 units (33 for Engineering) as long
as you remain registered within your required course load. Registration in more than the required course load including
cancelled courses will be assessed extra fees and are subject to cancellation fees. Exception: B-tech is charge for all
registered units and are subject to cancellation fees. All fees are subject to change.

http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/student/p...s_included.pdf

Is this what I think it is? Thanks.
Old 06-07-2015 at 06:11 PM   #2
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

Did a rough calculation, (Eng I, took 37 units, included 33 in my calculation) and the numbers roughly add up. If I include 37 units then the amount would be higher than I actually had to pay. So yeah, ENG 1D04 was free

This is for the fall/winter terms, I don't know about spring/summer.
Old 06-07-2015 at 06:37 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

The maximum of 30 units is in fall/winter. You pay for any summer courses separately.
Old 06-07-2015 at 06:58 PM   #4
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

I overloaded both terms one year and had to pay for 36 units. My tuition went up by >$1000 whereas my OSAP went up a whole $99. Awesome.
Old 06-07-2015 at 08:16 PM   #5
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

I am taking about 3 courses in the summer.., am in eng too.., so I can do 3 more courses in the regular school period for free, and get a minor, say in math.. yay
Old 06-07-2015 at 08:19 PM   #6
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

But when it says, you cannot overload, does it mean I cannot go above 40 units, or the required number of units for that year? I mean like in chem eng, if for year 2 requirement is 37 units, and I take 40 units, is it considered overload? Or is it overload above 40 units? Thanks
Old 06-25-2015 at 07:19 AM   #7
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

I think the cap has been removed now.. When I go in and calculate my fees(ONLY THE ENGINEERING MANAGEMENT FEES, AND NOT ANYTHING ELSE LIKE MSU AND STUFF), then this year I am paying for all my 37 units, unlike 33 units like other years..
Old 06-25-2015 at 07:40 AM   #8
RSK1

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralts40(2) View Post
I think the cap has been removed now.. When I go in and calculate my fees(ONLY THE ENGINEERING MANAGEMENT FEES, AND NOT ANYTHING ELSE LIKE MSU AND STUFF), then this year I am paying for all my 37 units, unlike 33 units like other years..
Yeah I had the same issue at first but now I am being charged for only 34 units. Someone mentioned in another post that they contacted the financial office who said that the new cap is 34 units for engineering. Mosaic is very slow so it will probably take a while for it to update on your account summary or you can always email them to verify.