MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have 18 units in first term JayT First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-03-2010 04:03 PM
Courses and Units DilC First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 05-10-2010 04:15 PM
Confused about third year courses nba4life Academics 7 01-03-2010 03:01 PM
Confused about Biology courses for first year killza First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-21-2009 03:24 PM
Very Confused! Help with 'units' and course selection sarahsc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 06-10-2008 08:25 PM

Confused about chosing my courses :S and how units work

Old 06-29-2009 at 05:45 PM   #1
Thom14

Liked: 0 Times

Confused about chosing my courses :S and how units work
Hi, my name's Tom and I'm going into Social Science's 1st year in September at Mac. Now my course registration day opens this Thursday but I'm still confused about units and how I chose my courses. I know it says 30 units but is that for one year? or how many I am required to have to graduate? I was looking at my level one mandatory courses and what I'm interested in is either doing a psych, philosophy, or an anthropology degree. I'm not sure what courses I should take. I enjoy more psych and philosophy so I guess those would be my main focus. Any help I can get would be great. I've been out of high school for a year and I'm really excited to go back to school I just want to do everything right.

Thanks in advance for the help!!
Old 06-29-2009 at 05:49 PM   #2
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom14 View Post
Hi, my name's Tom and I'm going into Social Science's 1st year in September at Mac. Now my course registration day opens this Thursday but I'm still confused about units and how I chose my courses. I know it says 30 units but is that for one year? or how many I am required to have to graduate? I was looking at my level one mandatory courses and what I'm interested in is either doing a psych, philosophy, or an anthropology degree. I'm not sure what courses I should take. I enjoy more psych and philosophy so I guess those would be my main focus. Any help I can get would be great. I've been out of high school for a year and I'm really excited to go back to school I just want to do everything right.

Generally, you're looking at 120 units to graduate (30 Units x 4 years for a degree). Deciding what courses to take it really up to your discretion based on your interests.

A little FYI:

3 Unit courses mean they are for a single term, while 6 Unit courses means they are full year. Try to get 15 Units worth of classes in both semesters.
Old 06-29-2009 at 05:52 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:

Yes, it's 30units for that first year. You don't need to have 30 units this year, but you do need to complete all 120 units to graduate. So it's better to have 30units a year.

You can have a psychology degree with another subject:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1727.html

"Selection is based on academic achievement but requires, as a minimum, completion of any Level I program with a Cumulative Average of at least 6.0; a grade of at least B- in each of PSYCH 1X03 (or 1AA3) and 1XX3 (or 1A03); credit in one of BIOLOGY 1A03, 1M03 (or 1AA3), 1P03 (or 1K03) or Grade 12 Biology U; and credit in one of MATH 1A03, 1LS3 or a grade of at least C- in MATH 1M03. Satisfaction of the admission requirements for the Honours program in the other subject. "

That's what you need to complete of next year to get in.

So you need a CA of 6.0
You need to take Psych 1X03 and Psych 1XX3 (You must also attain a B- in EACH of these courses)
You need to take either Bio 1A03, 1MO3, 1PO3 or Grade 12 Bio. (Note, I heard that there is a course in psychology where you need Bio 1A03. So look into that if you want to take that course)
You also need to take Math 1A03, 1LS2 or achieve a C- in Math 1M03

On top of ALL of this, you need to satisfy the requirements of philosophy.
Old 06-29-2009 at 05:53 PM   #4
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:

Hey Tom :]

30 units is just for first year, yes. The great thing about Social Science, is that you can pretty much take any courses that you want, and then near the end of first year, you choose what you would like to major in.

It's not so important now, but most Honours B.A. programs require 120 units, but I think it varies.

As for psychology, philosophy and anthropology, you should look into the first year courses that these offer. For example, psychology has Psych 1X03 and 1XX3, and Anthropology has ... I think four first year courses.

It's easier to let you browse for yourself lol.

Philosophy: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1832.html
Psychology: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1837.html
Anthropology: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1749.html

Just remember that you have 12 mandatory units that need to be in Social sciences. Hope that helps.
But also make sure you check out the individual requirements for those programs, so that you're set for second year.
Old 06-29-2009 at 05:58 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
so looking at my required courses they are:

ANTHROP 1A03 – Introduction to Anthropology: Culture and Society
ANTHROP 1B03 – World Archaeology
ANTHROP 1Z03 - The Human Species: Becoming and Being Human
ECON 1B03 – Introductory Microeconomics
ECON 1BB3 – Introductory Macroeconomics
GEO 1HS3 – Geography of the Human Environment
GEO 1HU3 - Urban Economic Geography
GERONTOL 1A03 - Aging and Society
HEALTHST 1A03 – Introduction to Health Studies
INQUIRY 1SS3 - Inquiry in the Social Sciences
LABR ST 1A03 – Introduction to the Canadian Labour Movement
LABR ST 1C03 - Voices of Work, Resistance and Change
POL SCI 1G06 – Politics and Government
PSYCH 1A03 – Introduction to Experimental Psychology
PSYCH 1AA3 - The Psychology of Interpersonal Behaviour
RELIG ST 1B06 – World Religions
RELIG ST1D06 – Modern Study of the Bible
RELIG ST 1E03 – Love in Western Civilization
RELIG ST 1I03 - Religious Themes in Modern Literature
SOC WORK 1A06 – Introduction to Social Work
SOCIOL 1A06 – An Introduction to Sociology

I think I have an idea about which 12 i want to take, but when it comes to electives how does that work? Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to get this. Thanks for the quick replies though
When they say 12, they mean 12 units.
The other 18 units can come from ANYWHERE.
Old 06-29-2009 at 06:01 PM   #7
Thom14

So I'm looking at grabbing at least 6 electives from any other program pretty much
Old 06-29-2009 at 06:01 PM   #8
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
So I'm looking at grabbing at least 6 electives from any other program pretty much
Exactly.
Old 06-29-2009 at 06:03 PM   #9
feonateresa
Elite Member

You can take electives from Social Sciences if you want to as well, but yes, it can be from any faculty really.
Old 06-29-2009 at 06:05 PM   #10
Thom14

I was looking at taking PSYCH 1A03 – Introduction to Experimental PsychologyPSYCH 1AA3 - The Psychology of Interpersonal Behaviour but I can't seem to find them on the master timetable. It's only and PSYCH 1X03 and 1XX3 which needs BIOLOGY 1P03 as a prerequisite
Old 06-29-2009 at 06:06 PM   #11
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
I was looking at taking PSYCH 1A03 – Introduction to Experimental PsychologyPSYCH 1AA3 - The Psychology of Interpersonal Behaviour but I can't seem to find them on the master timetable. It's only and PSYCH 1X03 and 1XX3 which needs BIOLOGY 1P03 as a prerequisite
1A03 and 1AA3 have been replaced with 1X03 and 1XX3. If you took Grade 12 Biology U, you don't have to take Biology 1P03.
Old 06-29-2009 at 06:50 PM   #12
Thom14

Ah well I didn't take a gr.12 bio, but if i take the bio 1op3 course offered Term 1 can I take the psych course that it is required for term 2?
Old 06-29-2009 at 06:59 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Ah well I didn't take a gr.12 bio, but if i take the bio 1op3 course offered Term 1 can I take the psych course that it is required for term 2?
Yes you can!
Old 06-29-2009 at 07:01 PM   #14
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Yeah, you can take Bio 1P03 the same time Psych 1X03, and then you can take Psych 1XX3 in term 2.
Old 06-29-2009 at 07:03 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

You can even take Bio 1P03 at the same time as Psych 1XX3. But the university strongly recommends taken Bio 1P03 at the same time as Psych 1X03.