MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Im confused.. need help with Engineering course selection Imtiaz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-27-2010 10:22 PM
3 units=credit? or 6 units = credit Jelmo First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 06-09-2010 05:31 PM
Taking more than 30 Units Shmowen Academics 7 06-04-2010 04:38 AM
Courses and Units DilC First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 05-10-2010 04:15 PM
Confused about chosing my courses :S and how units work Thom14 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 06-30-2009 08:17 PM

Very Confused! Help with 'units' and course selection

Old 06-10-2008 at 11:15 AM   #1
sarahsc

Liked: 0 Times

Very Confused! Help with 'units' and course selection
Hi, I'm really confused about the registration of my courses for the fall term.

I am taking first year social science and I have looked over the required courses for year one.
But I don't understand the whole "unit" thing? I thought you pick a course and take it for a semester?

How long do the courses run? If I have to fit 30 into two terms? And how do I fit electives in there?

Another quick question, I have logged onto MUGSI and activated my account, however when I go to enable my MACID services, it tells me that I am unable to?

Also, I don't understand how the payment agreement works, I try to click on it when I am logged into MUGSI but it says there's no information available?

Sorry about all the questions! Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Last edited by sarahsc : 06-10-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-10-2008 at 11:31 AM   #2
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Hi sarasc,

a typical course that lasts one semester is three units. In the course code, it will tell you how many units are allocated towards that course. For example Bio 1AA3 has three units. The last number in the course code is what tells you that. If you have a course like Physics 2B06, then that course is worth six units. Once you see how many units the course has, check the term that it's offered in. Term 1 = first semester, term 2 = second semester, term 3 = a course that lasts all year.
Most of the time, your courses that are six units each are a full year class but you can also get classes that are only worth three units and they are also term three.

Each semester, you should be earning 15 units.. 15/3 = 5 = 5 classes per term. That way, you earn 30 units total each year!

For macid, I'm not entirely positive but I think I've heard that you have to wait a few days for it to activate. Perhaps try again later? Don't hold me to that one though
Old 06-10-2008 at 11:33 AM   #3
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Check this thread for info on your mac id: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...2 3#post25623
Old 06-10-2008 at 11:36 AM   #4
sarahsc

Thanks very much!
With the courses:
It says the courses I have to take are: (http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...08/sec_635.htm)

Course List 1 ANTHROP 1A03, 1B03, 1Z03
ECON 1B03, 1BB3
GEOG 1HA3, 1HB3
GERONTOL 1A03
HEALTHST 1A03
INQUIRY 1SS3
LABR ST 1A03, 1C03
POL SCI 1G06
PSYCH 1X03, 1XX3
RELIG ST 1B06, 1D06, 1E03, 1J03
SOC WORK 1A06
SOCIOL 1A06

does this mean these are the courses I have to take just for year one? or do I have to take all of these in order to graduate? Because that adds up to much more than just 30 units! Also, do I have to take all of the above, for example: all of Anthrop, including 1A03, 1B03 and 1Z03 or do I just take one?

sorry again for the questions!
Old 06-10-2008 at 11:38 AM   #5
chaudhary.ak

going to first year = confused
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?p=1789 0
read this i found this extremly helpful nd ys v cant activate macid services nd payment agreement till a certain date........its different fr different courses .......here is the link check urs
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /regis...egistered.html
Old 06-10-2008 at 11:53 AM   #6
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

I believe the course list is just the list of all the courses available to you in first year.. check the course calendar to see which ones are required and which ones are prerequisites for second year.
Old 06-10-2008 at 11:55 AM   #7
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

hey sarahsc, NO you are not taking ALL those courses all in year one. haha. dont' freak yourself out.
This is your requirement for Social Science 1. It says you need to complete 30 units. 12 units from course list and 18 units of electives that can be from the course list. Therefore, that whole list you just posted. you would have to take 12 units from that. Your 18 units left to fulfill your 30 units can be any elective courses you want or if you want to take from that course list again, go ahead!

in regards to your other question, no you do not need to take all the anthro courses. But check to see what the prerequisites maybe for some of them incase there are specifics. Hope that answers your questions!
Old 06-10-2008 at 12:03 PM   #8
sarahsc

Thanks so much! This has been a huge help!
Old 06-10-2008 at 12:04 PM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsc View Post
It says the courses I have to take are: (http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...08/sec_635.htm)
does this mean these are the courses I have to take just for year one? or do I have to take all of these in order to graduate? Because that adds up to much more than just 30 units! Also, do I have to take all of the above, for example: all of Anthrop, including 1A03, 1B03 and 1Z03 or do I just take one?

sorry again for the questions!

Whoa. There's no way you could take ALL those courses in your first year lol.

The list you posted is what they call the "COURSE LIST". This is a list of courses that you get to pick from.

Underneath that course list you see this:

Quote:
Requirements: 30 Units
12 units from Course List 118 units Electives, which may include courses from Course List 1
See how it says 12 UNITS FROM COURSE LIST 1? That means you need to pick 12 units out of that list. See how a course says 1A03 or 1D06? That number at the end is the number of UNITS. So you need to pick 12 units worth of classes in your entire first year (over the 2 semesters) to move into your second year. You also need to take 18 units worth of electives (which can be courses that ARENT in that list... for example from another faculty, etc. as long as you have the prerequisits).

For example, you could take the following:
  1. GEOG 1HA3
  2. GEOG 1HB3
  3. POL SCI 1G06
That would fufill your first requirement... 12 units from the course list. You'd have 1HA3 in your first semester... then 1HB3 in the second semester for example... and then have 1G06 over BOTH semesters (since it is a 6 unit course).

Then you have to pick 18 more units as electives. If you were to pick from the list still.. you could have for example:
  1. INQUIRY 1SS3
  2. LABR ST 1A03
  3. PSYCH 1X03, 1XX3
  4. SOCIOL 1A06
That's 18 units. You split those between your two semesters evenly... and you're all set!

A diagram to help you:
Old 06-10-2008 at 12:06 PM   #10
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

haha. Chad has such a clearier explaination than mine. with an example too!

oh well. as long as it helps everyone!!! and you guys can all figure your courses out!
Old 06-10-2008 at 12:09 PM   #11
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

I've linked to this thread from my article on picking courses. Hopefully it helps clarify things for people. I know this can sound confusing at first! But it is actually quite easy once you get the hang of it
Old 06-10-2008 at 12:12 PM   #12
sarahsc

I know this is a little off the topic!
And I am really stressing about this whole course selection thing, haha
But I've recently thought about going into elementary teaching... but I'm registered for social sciences, is there any way I can major in that and become a teacher? Or am I in trouble?!
Old 06-10-2008 at 12:22 PM   #13
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

To be a teacher you need 'teachables'. I'm not sure if social sciences counts as a teachable for elementary. Try asking the question in a new thread in the 'academics' forum and see what other users say.
Old 06-10-2008 at 01:05 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Geography is a teachable. The others...(anthro, sociology, psych, econ) might be depending on the schools.

So yes, Soc Sci courses can be considered teachables. But you need to do your own research for that.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-10-2008 at 01:06 PM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I've linked to this thread from my article on picking courses. Hopefully it helps clarify things for people. I know this can sound confusing at first! But it is actually quite easy once you get the hang of it
Please add diagram to my article (in text)

thanks!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement