MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No courses found on elm/"avenue to learn" Rakim Academics 10 09-07-2010 07:34 AM
[urgent] "account is full (quota exceeded)" email problem WekSos Academics 3 07-06-2010 11:33 AM
Question about "extra" courses reeves Academics 1 06-24-2010 09:59 AM
What does it mean by... "One full-year Academic Class." Sintos Academics 14 06-03-2010 08:52 PM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM

Courses that are "full"

Old 06-23-2009 at 08:46 PM   #1
Chimmy

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Courses that are "full"
So I'm going into second year Humanities in September, and after working out a course list that had no conflicts and had courses that I was really excited about taking, I have become very disappointed to find most of them are full (one being Japanese 1Z06, which was the whole reason I came to McMaster in the first place, so If I don't get to take that this year I'll be very sad :( ).

I'm just wondering what I'm supposed to do now... I would guess find replacement courses and switch into the courses I want during the drop and add period once school starts. But I had my heart set on those courses :(

In case it's relevent, the courses that I wanted that were full are:
Science 2B03, Linguistics 1A03, CMST 2R03, Linguistics 2E03 and Japanese 1Z06
Old 06-23-2009 at 08:49 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Yep, you can try again when first years pick or you can try again when solar re-opens all the way until the drop/add deadline.
Old 06-23-2009 at 09:02 PM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Yeah, I don't know why Linguistics 2E03 is full... since level 2 humanities opens today, but yeah try again later. My electives are full too. ;_;
Old 06-23-2009 at 09:13 PM   #4
darkhelmetsg

Liked: 0 Times

It happens that your courses are full and it fricking sucks. Here are some options:

1) Find new courses. My least preferred of the options, but sometimes the path you have to take. I did this a couple times throughout last year, and I sometimes enjoyed the replacement courses, and sometimes HATED them.

2) Wait it out and keep trying. Keep returning to SOLAR and trying daily if necessary. It can be frustrating to do, but people change their minds a lot as well. If you are there at just the right time, you can pick up the course as they drop it.

3) Contact the faculty office that is administering the course well before the add/drop dates. Talk to an Academic Advisor and let them know that you really want to be in the course. If it's one of your required courses, drop that bomb. The advisors can open a lot of doors for you, if you get the right one.

Hope this helps, and know you're not alone. Everyone has their spot in a class stolen once in a while.

Theatre and Film III

“The theater is a weapon, and it is the people who should wield it.”

Augusto Boal (1931- May 2009) - Activist, Actor, Educator

Old 06-23-2009 at 09:14 PM   #5
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

You just got to keep trying. Its a pain.. but thats SOLAR for you. If you really, really need the course you can call in and explain and they'll probably try and open up a spot for you. Soo there's not much you can do.. if its full... someone might drop it and you'll get in if you keep trying.

Good Luck!
Old 06-23-2009 at 10:56 PM   #6
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Third year is the worst in terms of spots being taken, imo. All the fourth years take 3rd year courses since they're "senior" level courses.

If any of your courses are second term, I'd check back often (and during exams) people tend to change their courses often. Hopefully you'll get in. Or try talking to the department and see if they can open a spot up for you : )
Old 06-23-2009 at 11:16 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I actually found second year to be much worse than third year. I had to take third year courses (3 I think, possibly 4) in second year because none of my other required courses were free.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-23-2009 at 11:19 PM   #8
shockalot

Liked: 11 Times

Urgh, dont worry, right now I think i'm in the worst position possible...i just got access to SOLAR and all the courses i need to take are full...not even one has a spot for poor old me.
Old 06-23-2009 at 11:21 PM   #9
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Agh Japanese was really tough, for me at least.
What happened last year was that I had wanted to take it too, but it was full. I found that it was special request, so you have to email someone, I don't remember who exactly, whoever is in charge for admissions I guess, to let you in and they'll open up a spot for you in Japanese.
Old 06-24-2009 at 08:06 AM   #10
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I actually found second year to be much worse than third year. I had to take third year courses (3 I think, possibly 4) in second year because none of my other required courses were free.
I guess it's different for sciences because the prereqs for fourth year courses are so specific. Most of us end up taking 3rd year courses since they're pretty much seen as equal.
Old 06-24-2009 at 08:45 AM   #11
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimmy View Post
I have become very disappointed to find most of them are full (one being Japanese 1Z06...
Heh, I know what you mean. I had a hard time getting into German 1Z06 last year. I did eventually get in, after a lot of work emailing random people. The person who finally opened a seat for me was Jackie Osterman (The lady in charge of linguistics... or something). This is her email, if you want: [email protected]. I don't know if she's still in charge of this stuff anymore.

The worst part was when I got to the class and 90% of the people there were 4th years who were like "Uhh yeah, I don't even know why I chose this course... it was just available at the time and seemed kind of interesting to take for fun... whatever".

I felt like I wanted to kill... everybody.

Moonballoon says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 06-24-2009 at 09:41 AM   #12
lbqjenny

hi,i'm a first year student in life sicence. Since i cannot register my course now,so can you help me to see if my elective is full? If it's full, i'll change it as soon as possible!!My elective is MUSIC 1AA3.
Old 06-24-2009 at 09:46 AM   #13
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbqjenny View Post
hi,i'm a first year student in life sicence. Since i cannot register my course now,so can you help me to see if my elective is full? If it's full, i'll change it as soon as possible!!My elective is MUSIC 1AA3.
I just checked, and you're in luck, Music 1AA3 still appears to have seats available . Good luck!

lbqjenny says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 06-24-2009 at 09:51 AM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Also, they haven't opened up seats for first year classes yet. Upper years are still choosing.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-24-2009 at 11:46 AM   #15
darkhelmetsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
The person who finally opened a seat for me was Jackie Osterman (The lady in charge of linguistics... or something). This is her email, if you want: [email protected]. I don't know if she's still in charge of this stuff anymore.
Jackie Osterman is one of the Humanities Academic Advisor. She is possibly my favorite one. She is lovely and so, so nice, and you know, good at her job. If you have problems with Humanities courses, go see her.

Theatre and Film III

“The theater is a weapon, and it is the people who should wield it.”

Augusto Boal (1931- May 2009) - Activist, Actor, Educator