MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No courses found on elm/"avenue to learn" Rakim Academics 10 09-07-2010 07:34 AM
[urgent] "account is full (quota exceeded)" email problem WekSos Academics 3 07-06-2010 11:33 AM
Question about "extra" courses reeves Academics 1 06-24-2010 09:59 AM
What does it mean by... "One full-year Academic Class." Sintos Academics 14 06-03-2010 08:52 PM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM

Courses that are "full"

Old 06-24-2009 at 11:51 AM   #16
Chimmy

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll keep trying to get in during my 7 day period and get in contact with people who may be able to help
Old 06-24-2009 at 12:37 PM   #17
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Hey Chimmy, if you can't get into JAPANESE 1Z06 during the school year, you can try to get into it for the spring/summer. I didn't get in either during the year and I even emailed the prof but with no luck however, I easily got into the spring/summer class. It didn't fill up as quickly and SOLAR wasn't as busy. So there's still hope if you want to take it!

Moonballoon says thanks to jachill for this post.
Old 06-24-2009 at 03:40 PM   #18
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Heh, I know what you mean. I had a hard time getting into German 1Z06 last year. I did eventually get in, after a lot of work emailing random people. The person who finally opened a seat for me was Jackie Osterman (The lady in charge of linguistics... or something). This is her email, if you want: [email protected]. I don't know if she's still in charge of this stuff anymore.
I second this. Japanese 1Z06 was full last year and I also e-mailed Jackie Osterman and got a spot! I was in first year too!
Old 06-24-2009 at 03:43 PM   #19
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhelmetsg View Post
Jackie Osterman is one of the Humanities Academic Advisor. She is possibly my favorite one. She is lovely and so, so nice, and you know, good at her job. If you have problems with Humanities courses, go see her.
Yes I've also been referred to her last year for a language course and lots of people told me she opened up seats for others... I didn't know about this till end of August and so she couldn't help me out.
Old 06-24-2009 at 03:44 PM   #20
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

As stated from before, you can talk to an academic advisor to get them to open seats since they reserve a bit of seats for people that are in the program but can't get in. Alternatively you can talk to the department of the program you are in and then get them to open a seat.
Old 06-24-2009 at 08:28 PM   #21
Chimmy

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I'll try speaking to the academic advisors as well. I'm just wondering about how the Payment Agreement will work. If I choose substitute courses and complete the payment agreement, am I still able to switch out of them and switch into the ones I want? I'm still confused by this whole system heheh.
Old 06-24-2009 at 09:30 PM   #22
jachill
Vampire Slayer

For the payment agreement, I believe it doesn't matter which courses that you're taking just as long as you have the same number of units. If you do get into Japanese, that course is 6 units long (while the average course is 3 units) so you'll have to drop another course to balance out your course load to 30 units. The payment agreement won't notice the difference as long as you're still doing 30 units total (a full-time student).
Old 06-24-2009 at 10:23 PM   #23
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachill View Post
For the payment agreement, I believe it doesn't matter which courses that you're taking just as long as you have the same number of units. If you do get into Japanese, that course is 6 units long (while the average course is 3 units) so you'll have to drop another course to balance out your course load to 30 units. The payment agreement won't notice the difference as long as you're still doing 30 units total (a full-time student).
You're right and you're not right.

Provided the courses are in the same faculty, your payment agreement won't change. But if you drop an Anthro for an English for example there will be a difference in your payment agreement.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-24-2009 at 11:26 PM   #24
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Oh really? I didn't know that, thanks for correcting me.
Old 06-25-2009 at 12:04 AM   #25
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Yup! My tuition is quite a bit more than normal as I'm taking 7 Soc Sci courses and only 3 Humanities ones.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-25-2009 at 12:09 AM   #26
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

okay so, im going into second year.

last year i took Physics 1L03, and im supposed to complete 1B03 by the end of this year.

but its full. so i know i can call them and tell them its required...

but do i leave it blank for now? or do i just pick some other course as a placeholder?

if anyone could answer in like the next ten minutes would be awesome haha
Old 06-25-2009 at 12:25 AM   #27
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Well, more than 10 minutes. But it's your choice. You should have a placeholder, but it's not needed. But if you don't get into your desired course, then you might have trouble finding another one.
Old 06-25-2009 at 12:28 AM   #28
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

i just picked a bio course for now..

but it would be impossible for them to not let me take it.. i HAVE to complete it by the end of this year...
Old 06-25-2009 at 12:30 AM   #29
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Oh right, I didn't read that part Lol. Yes, they are required to put you in the class.
Old 06-25-2009 at 12:38 AM   #30
denisa002

Liked: 3 Times

zango, I'm in the same boat as you!

I didn't pick a placeholder though...I'm pretty sure they should let us in, but I'm just wondering did you email anyone regarding this yet, and if so, who? I'm really not sure who to email :S