MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my relationship lacky Dating & Relationships 34 02-23-2011 07:18 PM
Relationship advice for men & women WC007 Dating & Relationships 1 10-19-2010 12:10 AM
Other School Relationship mike_302 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-29-2009 03:47 PM
How to get a date - relationship advice lorend Misc 1 10-13-2007 11:14 AM

Culture relationship

Old 04-22-2011 at 01:29 PM   #16
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
lol i lived in canada from grade 4 to grade 9 then again for grade 12
so i think ive seen enough in Canada
and saudi is a multicultural country
F UCK NO ! I lived there most of my life ! HOLD IT RIGHT THERE MOE !!!!! ITS NOT A FUC KING MULTICULTURAL COUNTRY !!!

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Old 04-22-2011 at 01:57 PM   #17
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
F UCK NO ! I lived there most of my life ! HOLD IT RIGHT THERE MOE !!!!! ITS NOT A FUC KING MULTICULTURAL COUNTRY !!!
What do you mean?

there are africans
arabs
white people
brown people
asains a few
what else?

yes there mostly arabs but u it is multicultural

not as much as canada and america but there still is
Old 04-22-2011 at 02:01 PM   #18
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Lol when we say "multi-cultural" we mean diverse like Canada, where people from all nationalities are easy to find. Having a few of each culture doesn't make you "multi-cultural" in that sense.

So technically you can consider it diverse but under that definition there wouldn't be any countries that aren't multi-cultural.

Last edited by RememberTwce : 04-22-2011 at 02:03 PM.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 04-22-2011 at 02:03 PM   #19
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
Lol when we say "multi-cultural" we mean diverse like Canada, where people from all nationalities are easy to find. Having a few of each culture doesn't make you multi-cultural in that sense.
there are very few country's like Canada

I did not mean that saudi was as diverse as canada
Old 04-22-2011 at 03:37 PM   #20
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Never miiiiind...
Old 04-22-2011 at 03:48 PM   #21
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Quote:
What do you mean?

there are africans
arabs
white people
brown people
asains a few
what else?

yes there mostly arabs but u it is multicultural

not as much as canada and america but there still is
You are so ignorant (that is a part of being arab, but anyhow), Multicultural means that the country is accepting of every culture and that cultures kind of fuse together.

Quote:
Multiculturalism is the appreciation, acceptance or promotion of multiple cultures, applied to the demographic make-up of a specific place, usually at the organizational level, e.g. schools, businesses, neighborhoods, cities or nations. In this sense multiculturalism approximates to respect for diversity.
And cultures could be backgrounds, races, sexualities, religion and what not. Canada being the multicultural place its accepts people from all religions all sexualities all genders (male, female, transgenderism etc) and races. This is multiculturalism.

On the other hand, Saudi arabia is a horrible country based on the teachings of islam, they do not allow sex without marriage, LGBTQ activities, women have no identity there basically, women can't drive. Religion practices other than islam are not allowed and considered "wrong" and "evil". If they have people from different races and cultures (who are not respected there I might add and work as labour only for the Saudi/Arab culture) then it is not multiculturalism.

Before you utter, think.

Last edited by L'Étoile : 04-22-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Old 04-22-2011 at 04:18 PM   #22
dsalvatore

Liked: 67 Times

Quote:
You are so ignorant (that is a part of being arab, but anyhow),

On the other hand, Saudi arabia is a horrible country based on the teachings of islam, they do not allow sex without marriage, LGBTQ activities, women have no identity there basically, women can't drive. Religion practices other than islam are not allowed and considered "wrong" and "evil". If they have people from different races and cultures (who are not respected there I might add and work as labour only for the Saudi/Arab culture) then is is not multiculturalism.

Before you utter, think.
First of all, for you to attack an entire ethnic group- THAT is ignorance.

Yes, there is a lot of ignorance in the Middle East...just like there is a lot of ignorance in Canada towards issues in other parts of the world, just like you will find ignorance in any other part of the world.

Saudi Arabia is a Muslim country, yes. But the social and gender injustice that goes on there, as well as the corruption- that is NOT based on the teachings of Islam. That is everything that is wrong with the culture, not the religion. Do not confuse the two. I have studied Islam, it dictates that women have equal rights with men as well as empowers women holds them in high regard and emphasized that women must be respected. Islam gave women rights long before the Western World so don't tell me that women can't drive because of Islam...it is solely because of the backwards culture that exists in many parts of the world and indeed in the Middle East.

Pre and extramarital sex is forbidden in a lot of religions and cultures...what does that have to do with multiculturalism?

However, I agree that Saudi Arabia is not a very multicultural country and the same is to be said for many countries in Asia as well as other parts of the world.

Multiculturalism is one of the many reasons we are blessed to live in Canada.

m0ns13ur, mohammyt all say thanks to dsalvatore for this post.

Old 04-22-2011 at 04:23 PM   #23
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsalvatore View Post
First of all, for you to attack an entire ethnic group- THAT is ignorance.

Yes, there is a lot of ignorance in the Middle East...just like there is a lot of ignorance in Canada towards issues in other parts of the world, just like you will find ignorance in any other part of the world.

Saudi Arabia is a Muslim country, yes. But the social and gender injustice that goes on there, as well as the corruption- that is NOT based on the teachings of Islam. That is everything that is wrong with the culture, not the religion. Do not confuse the two. I have studied Islam, it dictates that women have equal rights with men as well as empowers women holds them in high regard and emphasized that women must be respected. Islam gave women rights long before the Western World so don't tell me that women can't drive because of Islam...it is solely because of the backwards culture that exists in many parts of the world and indeed in the Middle East.

Pre and extramarital sex is forbidden in a lot of religions and cultures...what does that have to do with multiculturalism?

However, I agree that Saudi Arabia is not a very multicultural country and the same is to be said for many countries in Asia as well as other parts of the world.

Multiculturalism is one of the many reasons we are blessed to live in Canada.

I am arab myself so I know exactly their teachings and their morals. And I can say it with all the confidence that most if not all are ignorant about the actual world.

I also come from a very very very religious family so I know heck alot about my "religion" than you will ever know. And if you are muslim, then you are just trying to defend it. Islam is very homophobic, very disrespectful to woman and treats woman as a sexual gift sent to men. If you want to learn more about the actual islam tell me I will tell you.

And about the Pre and extramarital sex, I never said that Pre and extramarital sex is a part of a successful multicultural country, I was just listing the MANY horrible things about the country I lived in for years.

Last edited by L'Étoile : 04-22-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-22-2011 at 05:31 PM   #24
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsalvatore View Post
Saudi Arabia is a Muslim country, yes. But the social and gender injustice that goes on there, as well as the corruption- that is NOT based on the teachings of Islam. That is everything that is wrong with the culture, not the religion.
I was just about to post this too, but instead I'll just reiterate it. The representation of Islam you see in the middle east is NOT Islam. It is something that the culture there has bastardized completely.

Last edited by crazyfree : 04-22-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2011 at 05:52 PM   #25
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
I am arab myself so I know exactly their teachings and their morals. And I can say it with all the confidence that most if not all are ignorant about the actual world.

I also come from a very very very religious family so I know heck alot about my "religion" than you will ever know. And if you are muslim, then you are just trying to defend it. Islam is very homophobic, very disrespectful to woman and treats woman as a sexual gift sent to men. If you want to learn more about the actual islam tell me I will tell you.

And about the Pre and extramarital sex, I never said that Pre and extramarital sex is a part of a successful multicultural country, I was just listing the MANY horrible things about the country I lived in for years.
Can you quote any part of the Qur'an that says these things? I find arguments like this with no actual evidence/citations usually just turn into pointless internet shouting matches until one party gets bored.
Old 04-22-2011 at 06:04 PM   #26
dsalvatore

Liked: 67 Times

Quote:
Islam is very homophobic, very disrespectful to woman and treats woman as a sexual gift sent to men. If you want to learn more about the actual islam tell me I will tell you.

Your arguments are not only disturbingly unintelligent but more importantly incorrect

Show me proof from the Quran that women are treated as "a sexual gift sent to men" or that allows disrespect to women.

The only correct part of your post is that Islam does not allow homosexuality, that is true. The same can be said of many other religions.

Everything else in your post has absolutely no basis of truth.

Also...it's YOUR personal opinion that no pre or extramarital sex is "horrible." Many people are willing to wait for marriage to consumate their relationships and find it more meaningful. I'm honestly not looking to offend anyone here...this is just my personal opinion and everyone is entitled to their own. It's not for you to conclude that something is "horrible" for everyone just because you happen to disagree.
Weren't you the one that said multiculturalism means acceptance and tolerance of the beliefs of others regardless of the differences? Hypocrite much?
Old 04-22-2011 at 06:18 PM   #27
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Heh, everything I thought, everyone's already said it, only better.

Islam is constantly and consistently misinterpreted everywhere, and local cultures and traditions are a big part of it.

As for Islam being homophobic - it certainly disallows homosexuality, but I would not term it being /homophobic/, for that implies a phobia/fear of homosexuality, which is not the case. Rather, there's a reason for it not being permissable. I don't know anything about Islam and homosexuality, so you can take that with a grain of salt if you so wish, but I'm muslim, and have been thinking about this topic a lot lately. I definitely can't stand discrimination against people who are homosexual, and from what I know of my faith, Islam wouldn't, either.

EDIT: Btw, I'm not saying the above just to disprove things, it's just that the term homophobic strikes me as serving for someone extremely ignorant, and I do not believe Islam to be so.
Old 04-22-2011 at 06:51 PM   #28
TedMosby

Liked: 34 Times

From what I know of Islam, a man can have upto four? wives while a woman can have only one husband. A husband is allowed to beat his wife (lightly) if he suspects that she has been disloyal to him, but women cannot do the same. I also believe that in a divorce a man gets twice as much inheritance from the marriage as a woman does. Furthermore, in Sharia courts based on Sharia law from Islam, a woman's testimony is worth half of a man's. That's all I really know of the topic, anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-22-2011 at 07:03 PM   #29
KN1991

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
As for Islam being homophobic - it certainly disallows homosexuality, but I would not term it being /homophobic/, for that implies a phobia/fear of homosexuality, which is not the case. Rather, there's a reason for it not being permissable.
I do believe that a lot of Middle Eastern states have "wrongly" used Islam to further oppress women and other minority groups, but that doesn't mean that there are no cases of the Qur'an espousing these same ideas - and frankly it's a waste of time to get into the debate of translating passages and arguing over who's right or wrong. I think it should just be noted that usually when people, especially on MacInsiders and other forums, denounce religious teachings, they're not usually doing it because they think another religion is holier, it's mostly because they've come to the conclusion that all/most religions are guilty of enforcing social norms that are extremely wrong/unfair/oppressive/fictional...

But what you just said about homophobia is really disturbing - it's the same excuse you see being used by people that have a deep hatred for homosexuals. So often you see protesters in Canada/U.S.with signs that say "God hates f**s" that jump up and say that they're not "afraid of homosexuals" when they're called homophobic. There is no "reason" for not permitting homosexuality that can't be classified as homophobia.

Homosexuality is legit- it's not going anywhere just because some guy that wrote a book said so

Old 04-22-2011 at 07:34 PM   #30
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Honestly I dont think it will work out because these 2 cultures are very different

unless they really love each other than thats a different story

Ive never seen an asian and a brown person together that lasted a long time

I could be wrong just an opinion
But it could work cause race isnt a big issue to many people any more
Have you really been as far as decided to use even want to go look more like?

Andrew A, Mahratta like this.