MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Since its been 3 weekish since school started Yakattack General Discussion 9 09-25-2010 07:02 PM
Are we supposed to have started Engineer 1A00? Jayson193 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 09-12-2010 09:39 PM
First year, started my readings and freaking out!? lizziemcg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 09-14-2009 12:04 AM

DC++: Getting Started

Old 09-03-2010 at 05:32 AM   #31
Carefree

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
200GB/unlimited is better. Especially if your in a student house sharing with others.
It all depends on what you need. 115gb is good enough for me because my housemates don't DL much. Also DC++ just doesn't cut it when it comes to the variety of XBOX 360 offerings and 720p movies. Divx/Xvid/BDrips are no fun to watch on HD monitors or TVs, quite poor quality. I guess, to each his own.
Old 09-03-2010 at 05:37 AM   #32
Carefree

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjager View Post
Some people don't realize we're talking about Teksavvy when we refer to the 200GB/unlimited stuff haha.

Great ISP..I just moved from my apartment to my new house, and they set me up with my internet in 24 hours! Usually I'm waiting 5 days at least but they hooked me up nice and fast.
I've been a Teksavvy customer for 3+ years now at home and must agree, they are excellent. The only drawback is that the unlimited services show a preference to use Cogent routing, while the regular/limited services will route you through the best route available. This makes latency for the unlimited connections not very good, especially for latency dependent things such as online gaming and VOIP. Of course, if latency isn't a factor for you, it won't matter much.
Old 09-03-2010 at 08:19 AM   #33
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

whats the password thing?

i forgot what it was
Old 09-03-2010 at 09:46 AM   #34
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluandExile View Post
whats the password thing?

i forgot what it was
Wtf?

There are no passwords to access MacHub. If you were an old user, your username might be registered before which has a password associated with it. Simply change your username.
Old 09-03-2010 at 10:04 AM   #35
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjager View Post
I know the difference between bits and bytes, but last time I saw DC++ measured downloads in megabits.
I think it actually measures in mebibytes per second. 10 megabits per second on a LAN is not at all impressive, lol.
Old 09-04-2010 at 01:51 PM   #36
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
I've been a Teksavvy customer for 3+ years now at home and must agree, they are excellent. The only drawback is that the unlimited services show a preference to use Cogent routing, while the regular/limited services will route you through the best route available. This makes latency for the unlimited connections not very good, especially for latency dependent things such as online gaming and VOIP. Of course, if latency isn't a factor for you, it won't matter much.
Its all routed the same now.

Yeah, DC++ is only good for "common" stuff..

Also, 10mbit/s is terrible for lan, lol.
Old 09-04-2010 at 03:49 PM   #37
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I think it actually measures in mebibytes per second. 10 megabits per second on a LAN is not at all impressive, lol.
That sounds more accurate lol. I never saw MiB/s before and assumed it was megabits.
Old 09-04-2010 at 09:29 PM   #38
Xanderyan

Liked: 1 Time

Yeaahhhhh!! I didnt knowMac had a DC++. I have a friend that goes to Waterloo and have the same thing as well and he was like, "Waterloo is known for software engineering and computers so that's why we are the only University in Ontario that has DC++ filesharing, It is our expertise in this area". I was like, "dude filesharing isnt even a form of expertise and it doesnt really even go in depth with software engineering". Pfft Waterloo thinks their hot poo. Wait 'til I tell him, that Mac has it too and watch the pride wipe-off of his face lol. Thanks for informing us about this DC++
Old 09-07-2010 at 03:56 PM   #39
fresh prince

Liked: 7 Times

Wait so as an off-campus student I'm out of luck? I mean I'm stuck with whatever connection I have at home?

Oh and what's the exact (?) estimate.. Haha contradicting, I know, but mb/s or mB/s?
Old 09-07-2010 at 05:24 PM   #40
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh prince View Post
Wait so as an off-campus student I'm out of luck? I mean I'm stuck with whatever connection I have at home?

Oh and what's the exact (?) estimate.. Haha contradicting, I know, but mb/s or mB/s?
You are honestly better off looking for direct downloads online. I use filestube.
Old 09-07-2010 at 08:30 PM   #41
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh prince View Post
MiB/s

An MiB (Mibibyte) is 1000 KiB. Closely related to the MB (1000 KB).

A kibibyte is 1024 bytes while a kilobyte is 1000 bytes. lol
Old 09-07-2010 at 11:32 PM   #42
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

everyone needs to get this up and running so we can start downloading :p
Old 09-08-2010 at 08:18 AM   #43
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

When I try to connect to Machub it states I need a minimum 3 gb of shared files and immediately disconnects me, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to add files to my files list.

Any help?
Old 09-12-2010 at 02:34 AM   #44
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

So i cant connect to it from my off campus house. Are there textbooks on there right now?
Old 09-12-2010 at 03:04 AM   #45
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
When I try to connect to Machub it states I need a minimum 3 gb of shared files and immediately disconnects me, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to add files to my files list.

Any help?
hit the settings tab.. click "sharing".. click "add folder".. then select folders you would like to share... and if the content adds up to atleast 3 gigs u are in business