MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dean's honour list requirement MacJk Academics 6 06-13-2012 09:58 PM
Why does McMaster set Dean's List at 9.5 ? butterscotch General Discussion 2 05-31-2011 05:22 PM
Dean's List kathyt.25 Academics 6 05-31-2010 02:08 PM
Dean's List manu Academics 28 01-16-2010 11:26 PM
Dean's and Provost's Honour Lists feonateresa General Discussion 20 11-19-2009 05:49 AM

Dean's honour list.

Old 07-30-2012 at 04:38 PM   #16
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Wish I knew that when I was still at McMaster. They should have still emailed students though.
You can probably still get them? Call and ask. Always the best option. I think you should collect them, you earned it.
Old 07-30-2012 at 05:10 PM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
You can probably still get them? Call and ask. Always the best option. I think you should collect them, you earned it.
Yeah, but I don't have time to go get them. I do have my first year one when they used to distribute them to everyone, and I have my fourth year one when I graduated though. Maybe I'll pick them up in December if they are open.
Old 07-31-2012 at 04:29 PM   #18
aa492

Liked: 1 Time

for those who are in science did you have to call the associates dean office ahead of time to tell them you wanted your certificates or does the office print and give the certificates the same day that we ask for them
Old 07-31-2012 at 05:10 PM   #19
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa492 View Post
for those who are in science did you have to call the associates dean office ahead of time to tell them you wanted your certificates or does the office print and give the certificates the same day that we ask for them
I went today and they said they weren't printing them until a couple of weeks later.
Old 07-31-2012 at 06:26 PM   #20
pinkprincess

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa492 View Post
I went in yesterday without calling ahead and got them in less than 10 minutes. The only reason I had to "wait" was because they hadn't done the ones for the past academic year and the program wasn't set up on their new computers (something like that...)

The lady asked for my student number, printed out my degree audit to confirm, and asked if I would like my middle name on there...that's pretty much it. She ended up giving me one for the past year too even though they weren't completed.
Old 07-31-2012 at 08:47 PM   #21
WalkerBlue

Liked: 73 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Blankfein View Post
Imagine how much paper they waste printing those things. I do not know anyone in Life Sci/Health Sci lower than like 10.5! haha, congrats on making it.
You have a distorted view of the world.

Mean incoming GPA for the Medical Class of 2013 at McMaster was 3.82 - which works out to a 10.5 using a really lazy conversion. So, you're suggesting that most people have the type of grades that garner admission into medical school. Who the hell are the 3000 people who get rejected then? Look, I get that you have no concept of what regular grading looks like, but that doesn't mean you get to ignore reality and poop on other people.

You'd think grades would be correlated with intelligence.

Last edited by WalkerBlue : 07-31-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Chris23 likes this.
Old 07-31-2012 at 09:07 PM   #22
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

I'm not sure why people are getting upset at L_Blankfein. He never said no one gets below 10.5, he said he doesn't know anyone in Life Sci and/or Health Sci lower than 10.5. That's a perfectly reasonable thing to say. Obviously he is assuming that if he doesn't know anyone below 10.5, they must have a lot of certificates to print. That isn't a great assumption to make, but I don't really see how that causes him to have a "distorted view" of the world.

For what it's worth, I would estimate 75% of my friends at McMaster (in Life Sci) have above 10.5. Sorry if that makes my entire world view obsolete.

L_Blankfein says thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.

Old 08-03-2012 at 09:48 AM   #23
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

Does anyone know what these certificates look like?
Old 08-03-2012 at 09:59 AM   #24
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemaking View Post
I didn't know you could get a certificate for it. But yes it shows up independently each year on your transcript, ie. if you get it all 4 years then it shows up 4 times; if you only get it 1 year then it shows up once etc.
What about 2 or 3 years?
Old 08-03-2012 at 10:05 AM   #25
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Imagine how much paper they waste printing those things. I do not know anyone in Life Sci/Health Sci lower than like 10.5! haha, congrats on making it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerBlue View Post
You have a distorted view of the world.

Mean incoming GPA for the Medical Class of 2013 at McMaster was 3.82 - which works out to a 10.5 using a really lazy conversion. So, you're suggesting that most people have the type of grades that garner admission into medical school. Who the hell are the 3000 people who get rejected then? Look, I get that you have no concept of what regular grading looks like, but that doesn't mean you get to ignore reality and poop on other people.

You'd think grades would be correlated with intelligence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
I'm not sure why people are getting upset at L_Blankfein. He never said no one gets below 10.5, he said he doesn't know anyone in Life Sci and/or Health Sci lower than 10.5. That's a perfectly reasonable thing to say. Obviously he is assuming that if he doesn't know anyone below 10.5, they must have a lot of certificates to print. That isn't a great assumption to make, but I don't really see how that causes him to have a "distorted view" of the world.

For what it's worth, I would estimate 75% of my friends at McMaster (in Life Sci) have above 10.5. Sorry if that makes my entire world view obsolete.
WalkerBlue actually makes a very good point. As he stated, the average admission into Med School is roughly a 10.5 on McMaster's grading scale. Blankfein is claiming that everyone in the program will be getting into med school as they supposedly have the required grades. Last time I checked, not everybody gets into med school. I see nothing wrong in the comments made by WalkerBlue.
Old 08-03-2012 at 10:48 AM   #26
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
WalkerBlue actually makes a very good point. As he stated, the average admission into Med School is roughly a 10.5 on McMaster's grading scale. Blankfein is claiming that everyone in the program will be getting into med school as they supposedly have the required grades. Last time I checked, not everybody gets into med school. I see nothing wrong in the comments made by WalkerBlue.
I don't think he claimed everyone would be getting into medical school.

You need more than just the grades to get into medical school.

The cutoff for McMaster's med school is 3.0. That doesn't mean everyone with a 3.0 to 3.8 would get in. Besides, the average for McMaster's medical program is probably the lowest because they are so different from the rest.

The average for U of T for example, is 3.90. I had a 3.97 and got rejected from U of T on the first day they gave out rejections (i.e., no interviews, not even passing the first wave). So I don't think that just because I was 'above the average' in terms of GPA and MCAT that means I would get into med school.

Similarly, you could have a 4.0 and easily get rejected from McMaster's school. A major reason why medical schools look at LOR, EC's, essays/CASPer, MCAT, and GPA, is because if it were just GPA you would have thousands of candidates getting in, because it's not that hard to get 10.5 in science (as Blankfein was insinuating earlier).

EDIT: Reading this over again I kinda feel like I'm arguing for the sake of arguing. Obviously, not everyone gets near 10.5. However, in Health Science and even in Life Science/the rest, I would say you do have a large number of students who are able to achieve this kind of average.

Last edited by Alchemist11 : 08-03-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-03-2012 at 12:29 PM   #27
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
But he isn't...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post

He is claiming that everyone in the program that he knows has above a 10.5. He didn't even mention med school - you guys are the ones making the jump from "he thinks lots have high grades = he thinks lots get into med school." Maybe it was a thoughtless and careless thing to say, but it isn't as bad as you guys are making it out to be.

TheCrucible likes this.
Old 08-03-2012 at 10:28 PM   #28
L_Blankfein

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkprincess View Post
The cutoff is not as high as it perhaps should be...just like the Honour Roll in high school was. On one hand it didn't mean a lot because someone who barely got the 80% got the same recognition as me (95+ average). On the other hand, it was still nice to have the recognition b/c I knew what I personally had accomplished.
Same thing in uni, but this time I don't really think of it as sharing with the "9.5" people even though my average so far is significantly above the cutoff (11.3).
I'm offended that you find the idea of someone with an average less than 10.5 laughable. Just because you may be surrounded by people with 10.5s doesn't mean it's true for everyone. You shouldn't make generalizations like that based on your own situation...it's a little ignorant. I'm not saying that it's a ridiculous average to achieve, because it's defiantly feasible...but you should just keep in mind that not everyone can do it. University's different. Everyone's in different programs, some harder than others...even within Life Sci. Being in a specialized program allows less room for "bird"/ mark booster courses which sometimes makes a big difference. Some people also have way more personal problems, responsibilities and financial burdens to deal with. I have a friend who had to work two jobs, volunteered, was a part of several clubs at school and still managed a 10ish average. I would say her 10 average means a lot more than my 11.3 because although I was busy, I still had more free time.
A 9.5 may not mean anything to you, but it may mean the world to others. Just be considerate of people's situations.

Anyways, I'm glad we get recognized for this, even if it may not mean much.
Sorry for the little rant
I find it funny that you think an 11.3 is impressive. I have an 11.7. Don't try to stunt on me, shorty. When did I say anything about med-school? Trolls trolling trolls? LOL
Old 08-03-2012 at 11:32 PM   #29
pinkprincess

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
I find it funny that you think an 11.3 is impressive. I have an 11.7. Don't try to stunt on me, shorty. When did I say anything about med-school? Trolls trolling trolls? LOL
I'm happy with it yes...but I never actually said I thought it was impressive, just that it's higher than the Dean's List cutoff.

Quote:
I'm not sure if that was directed at me, but it was the part that bugged me. It felt as though I gave you the impression that I had barely made Dean's List and that's why I was so happy to get the certificates. Lol. And that you found it funny because the Dean's List cutoff (9.5) is so easy make since 10.5 is the norm for science/health sci.
That was the only reason I put my average. I do agree that 10.5 is a fairly decent average for science and is feasible. I think a lot of people have it; most of my friends do as well. It's just that I have met people who are struggling more than others with school and would kill for a 9.5, so the Dean's List would mean a lot to them. It just seemed that you were belittling it.

Sorry if I misunderstood...or read too much into it! It's probably just the wording. :-)