MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dean's List Questions e1337 Academics 27 04-29-2012 03:48 PM
Why does McMaster set Dean's List at 9.5 ? butterscotch General Discussion 2 05-31-2011 05:22 PM
Dean's List kathyt.25 Academics 6 05-31-2010 02:08 PM
Dean's List manu Academics 28 01-16-2010 11:26 PM
Dean's and Provost's Honour Lists feonateresa General Discussion 20 11-19-2009 05:49 AM

dean's honour list requirement

Old 06-13-2012 at 01:31 AM   #1
MacJk

Liked: 7 Times

dean's honour list requirement
"Students with a minimum average of 9.5 on at least 30 units are named to the Deans' Honour List. Students will be assessed at the reviewing period (either after the Fall/Winter or summer session) when a minimum of 30 units has been completed since the previous Deans' Honour List review. At each review the assessment will be based on all units completed since the previous Deans' Honour List reviews"

On Mugsi, it already said i made it on Dean's Honour List for this year, so im assuming I got assessed after the Fall/Winter period. If each review is based on units completed since the previous review, and I take a summer course next month + 9 courses during the 2012/2013 fall/winter period, do I still get on Dean's Honour List for next year?
Old 06-13-2012 at 08:58 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJk View Post
"Students with a minimum average of 9.5 on at least 30 units are named to the Deans' Honour List. Students will be assessed at the reviewing period (either after the Fall/Winter or summer session) when a minimum of 30 units has been completed since the previous Deans' Honour List review. At each review the assessment will be based on all units completed since the previous Deans' Honour List reviews"

On Mugsi, it already said i made it on Dean's Honour List for this year, so im assuming I got assessed after the Fall/Winter period. If each review is based on units completed since the previous review, and I take a summer course next month + 9 courses during the 2012/2013 fall/winter period, do I still get on Dean's Honour List for next year?
Probably. Honestly the way they do the reviews doesn't make any sense. I took 2 summer courses in second year, took a full course load in 3rd year, and got on the DHL (Total of 36 units). Then after that review, I took 24 units in 4th year and still got on the DHL even though it hasn't been 30 units since the last review.

But if you want to be completely sure you would probably have to contact the associate dean's office.

MacJk says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-13-2012 at 09:36 AM   #3
yoni

Liked: 88 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJk View Post

Yes, but the Dean's Honour List doesn't really mean much.. Also you need 30 units per year for many grad / professional schools or your GPA won't count from that year etc.

MacJk says thanks to yoni for this post.
Old 06-13-2012 at 08:04 PM   #4
WalkerBlue

Liked: 73 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni View Post
Yes, but the Dean's Honour List doesn't really mean much.. Also you need 30 units per year for many grad / professional schools or your GPA won't count from that year etc.
This is a really popular myth. This might be true for Medical, but by and large not the case.
Old 06-13-2012 at 08:27 PM   #5
yoni

Liked: 88 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerBlue View Post
This is a really popular myth. This might be true for Medical, but by and large not the case.
Well to be frank I'm fairly certain that the vast, vast majority of science students initially plan on medicine / dentistry / optometry etc. and very few on grad school. Many end up in grad school through the wonderful journey of self-discovery of university. But from my knowledge, you need a full course load for your GPA to be considered at all (except 1) Ontario med and dent schools, otherwise you are not eligible for weighting EVER (UofT), take a hit on your GPA score (Western), year can't be counted at all (Ottawa?, Queens). Only mac doesn't care, but looks at summer courses too, which often people do worse in because they take harder courses / don't try as hard etc. People would be very foolish to make their post-undergrad more difficult than it is by taking a reduced course load for no good reason, and I think 99% of students that this message applies to are better off taking 10 courses instead of 9, or 8, or whatever. So if I am really spreading myths/rumours then sorry, but I am only looking out for peoples' best interest.

WalkerBlue says thanks to yoni for this post.
Old 06-13-2012 at 09:01 PM   #6
WalkerBlue

Liked: 73 Times

That's a lot of good information for somebody. In terms of medical schools, I have no idea.
Old 06-13-2012 at 09:58 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

That applies for other programs too. I suspect many use some variation. For example, Pharmacy at UofT requires that you carry a full courseload for at least one year (meaning 30 units over the fall/winter term) and that you do well in that year. For pharmacy, you can apply after a minimum of two years, which is why the requirement is only one year being full time.