MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dean's Honour List rpg51 General Discussion 15 12-26-2012 01:47 PM
Dean's honour list. Phantom Academics 28 08-03-2012 11:32 PM
dean's honour list requirement MacJk Academics 6 06-13-2012 09:58 PM
Dean's List manu Academics 28 01-16-2010 11:26 PM
Dean's and Provost's Honour Lists feonateresa General Discussion 20 11-19-2009 05:49 AM

Dean's Honour list @ Convocation

Members have rated post #411673 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 11-02-2014 at 01:42 PM   #1
aptic39

Liked: 0 Times

Dean's Honour list @ Convocation
So I was wondering how can I graduate with "dean's honour list" written beside my name. Do I need to be on the Dean's honour list for all 4 years, or 3 years or is it my overall cumulative average? My GPA in first year was 9.2 but for my second and third year I achieved 10+ GPAs. Since I was not on the dean's honour list in 1st year (only), does that mean I won't graduate with the recognition of "dean's honour list" ?
Old 11-02-2014 at 01:44 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

I'm pretty sure it's just your final year that counts.
Old 11-02-2014 at 01:51 PM   #3
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

You get listed in the programme as "with distinction". And your parchment reads "summa cum laude".
Mine did. I believe some faculties provide an additional piece of paper for Dean's Honour List. Humanities didn't.
Old 11-02-2014 at 01:56 PM   #4
aptic39

Liked: 0 Times

^ were you on the dean's honour list for all 4 years? or was it because of your final cumulative average?
Old 11-02-2014 at 03:51 PM   #5
jp1390

Liked: 26 Times

I believe it is your cumulative GPA which needs to be above 9.5 upon graduation for distinction, which doesn't require a 9.5+ GPA for all sessions.
Old 11-02-2014 at 05:03 PM   #6
VitaSoy

Liked: 9 Times

Dean's Honour list is achieved with an overall (cumulative) GPA. In the convocation programme, it's indicated with an asterisk (*) beside your name. That booklet is also the only place where your program name and minor(s) will be shown. Your degree will just say (Honours) Bachelor of Science/Eng/Arts/SocSci. I know that science students receive a separate piece of paper for making Dean's list.
Old 11-02-2014 at 06:36 PM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Dean's Honour List and graduating "with distinction" are two separate things. For the Dean's list, it's an annual thing - your average calculated using all courses since the last review was done. Graduating "with distinction" is the CA. So if you want to get on the Dean's list in your last year - which is what I thought you were asking - it's just your fourth year that matters. If you want to graduate with distinction, then it's the CA over all of your years in the program.
Old 11-03-2014 at 04:59 PM   #8
staceygab
Campus Store

Liked: 97 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldviking View Post
You get listed in the programme as "with distinction". And your parchment reads "summa cum laude".
Mine did. I believe some faculties provide an additional piece of paper for Dean's Honour List. Humanities didn't.
I'm not sure what you need grade wise to get the Dean's List but oldviking is correct that some programs do hand out a separate piece of paper for this. In recent years the Campus Store was inundated with requests for a special degree frame to fit these certificates so we added frame size to fit Dean's Lists and Engineering Oaths.