MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deans Honour List Ohmz Academics 1 06-02-2010 12:03 PM
Course List? rakhrans Academics 2 05-30-2010 03:05 PM
Deans' Honour List sycoman Academics 49 06-11-2009 11:04 PM
Wait list! surena Residence & Housing 12 05-05-2009 06:02 PM
when do i get my book list? WavesSea First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-17-2008 02:32 PM

Deans List

Old 10-21-2010 at 10:32 AM   #16
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

I think Dean's list is 9.5? A "good" grade is subjective. I won the Hooker scholarship this year and my friend won the other one ($800). Someone said the cutoff for Hooker was 11.2 and the other one was 10.6. I know they give out these types of scholarships in proportion to the number of people in your program and how many of them have greater than a 9.5 GPA. I think most people in ChemBio had a scholarship.

Does anyone know the name of the $800 scholarship so I can stop referring to it as "the other one"? My memory fails me again

Edit: I think it's called the Senate Scholarship
Old 10-21-2010 at 10:34 AM   #17
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyshi View Post
I think Dean's list is 9.5? A "good" grade is subjective. I won the Hooker scholarship this year and my friend won the other one ($800). Someone said the cutoff for Hooker was 11.2 and the other one was 10.6. I know they give out these types of scholarships in proportion to the number of people in your program and how many of them have greater than a 9.5 GPA. I think most people in ChemBio had a scholarship.

Does anyone know the name of the $800 scholarship so I can stop referring to it as "the other one"? My memory fails me again
A 9.5? If I remember that correctly isn't that a B+? and 10 is an A-?

And lol, it's actually called the hooker scholarship? rofl.
Old 10-21-2010 at 10:51 AM   #18
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
A 9.5? If I remember that correctly isn't that a B+? and 10 is an A-?

And lol, it's actually called the hooker scholarship? rofl.

Yup, yup and yup. It's called the Harry Hooker Scholarship, but hey it's free money. So in my books, he was one heck of an awesome person =D.
Old 10-21-2010 at 01:46 PM   #19
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Omg his name was Harry Hooker? Why would his parents do that. hahaha sorry. But ya, cool guy for giving us money. : D
Old 10-21-2010 at 02:30 PM   #20
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachill View Post
Omg his name was Harry Hooker? Why would his parents do that. hahaha sorry. But ya, cool guy for giving us money. : D
Lol, I just realized that... "Harry Hooker"... rofl.
Old 10-22-2010 at 02:42 AM   #21
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyshi View Post

Edit: I think it's called the Senate Scholarship
I think the grade to get the senate scholarship is also dependent on the program you're in because I got it last year and had a 10 (not 10.6). So I think it's if you're in a certain percentage of your program than you get it. I'm sure you can find it somewhere on the Mac website.

Old 10-22-2010 at 09:05 PM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
I didn't get one... but then again nobody cares about Science :(
There's no ceremony for science but they sent out e-mails last year telling us we can pick it up at the office in BSB. They are dated June but I think the e-mail was sent out in the middle to the end of the school year.
Old 10-22-2010 at 09:07 PM   #23
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
There's no ceremony for science but they sent out e-mails last year telling us we can pick it up at the office in BSB. They are dated June but I think the e-mail was sent out in the middle to the end of the school year.
Organic Chem guaranteed that I didn't get it last year >_<
Old 10-22-2010 at 09:16 PM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I actually meant the 2008-2009 DHL was given out at the end of last year... which is ridiculous when you think about it because it took them almost an entire year to print out paper... I still haven't gotten any notice for 2009-2010 and I don't expect to have one until like March >.>
Old 10-22-2010 at 09:25 PM   #25
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
I'm takin' that course now, I'm so excited about it.

gmoney likes this.
Old 10-22-2010 at 09:30 PM   #26
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
I'm takin' that course now, I'm so excited about it.
It really depends how much you like chemistry and how good you are at it. My friend got a 12 >.> I didn't fair so well....
Old 10-22-2010 at 09:32 PM   #27
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Damn...that's the first I've heard of someone getting a 12 in orgo. I like chem, but it's hard to tell how good I am at it. I figure I've got nothing to lose though, so I might as well put in as much effort as possible >_>

nerual likes this.
Old 10-22-2010 at 09:34 PM   #28
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
It really depends how much you like chemistry and how good you are at it. My friend got a 12 >.> I didn't fair so well....
Also, regardless of how easy the first half of the course first semester seems and how good you are at cramming DO NOT skip the second half of the semester and cram for the exam the morning of... it WILL NOT work. Speaking from experience :(

jhan523 likes this.
Old 10-22-2010 at 09:38 PM   #29
Alchemist11
Elite Member

The first half...easy? lmao...like close to 300 kids are failing right now. The second half gets that much harder?
Old 10-22-2010 at 09:45 PM   #30
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
The first half...easy? lmao...like close to 300 kids are failing right now. The second half gets that much harder?
The stuff that you start of covering is rather easy to grasp, the second half has A LOT of reaction memorization. I ended up trying to memorize 5 or so pages of reactions with no context in about 6 hours... I tanked that exam