MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deep thinkers? Sara1234 General Discussion 49 01-11-2013 11:16 PM
Daily game Jan 09 : Deep Diver Chad Daily Game 0 01-09-2012 04:10 AM
Deep thread at 6 am tray General Discussion 12 12-18-2011 08:30 PM
Deep Fried Pickles - Joe Dogs Shananaghens Restaurants & Food Reviews 0 06-13-2010 03:31 PM
MSU Drama Scene akbadak Clubs & Groups 6 01-04-2010 10:27 PM

Deep House scene

Old 12-16-2013 at 06:21 PM   #1
londoner

Liked: 1 Time

Deep House scene
Looking to come to McMaster for my third year (study abroad - coming from a university in England) and was wondering what the deep house music scene is like in Hamilton and surrounding areas such as Toronto.

Here in England the rave-like club scene is dominated by deep house and bass house music including DJs such as MK (Marc Kinchen), Route 94, Heidi, Shadow Child and the likes.

I would like to also attend such nights if I was to come to McMaster, does this sort of music play in and around Hamilton?
Old 12-16-2013 at 07:18 PM   #2
projoy

Liked: 0 Times

Not really. It's more of a standard EDM fare, unfortunately. You might get some tech house at AM underground.

londoner says thanks to projoy for this post.
Old 12-16-2013 at 07:20 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Not Hamilton. Try Toronto m8. Wait for Busza to see this thread, he'll likely know how to answer your question precisely.

londoner says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 12-16-2013 at 07:22 PM   #4
fatcat

Liked: 34 Times

Toronto is your place to go. I also love deep House but Hamilton doesn't offer much.

londoner says thanks to fatcat for this post.
Old 12-17-2013 at 08:01 AM   #5
londoner

Thanks for the replies!

Is it common to go on nights out in Toronto as a McMaster student? (I understand Toronto is around an hour away (by train?) but what is it like travelling home in the early hours say 4/5am?)

I would be studying engineering so it would be more of a "once or twice a month" on a Friday/Saturday night thing.
Old 12-17-2013 at 10:05 AM   #6
projoy

Liked: 0 Times

Yes, absolutely! That is exactly what I do!!

Go to "thedeepnorth.ca" . These guys showcase a lot of the local talent alongside bigger artists from elsewhere. Just go to 'Late and Deep' under events and sign up for the mailing list on their FB page. Holla if you actually do this!

If you're into something less underground, I suggest following promoters on FB. Blackprint, Sound Mind, Balance.Inc are pretty good; lately they've been bringing guys like Zabiela, Bicep, etc. They also bring a lot of techno artists.

Either way, you shouldn't have any trouble finding some great jams in TO

londoner says thanks to projoy for this post.
Old 12-17-2013 at 10:24 AM   #7
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

You certainly won't find anything in Hamilton. Only time you might hear it is one of the DJs at the campus bar 1280 warming up in the first couple of hours on a Thursday.

Toronto you can find anything within electronic music though. For deep house, Footwork is the most common venue to bring in artists. (They recently moved to 794 Bathurst).

Look up and follow Platform Productions, I/O productions, Balance Inc., and even Embrace is starting to get in on it.

Footwork, Ryze, and occasionally Maison are the home of most deep house events. Lot of techno is thrown into the mix with these promoters.

Guy Gerber and Hot Since 82 both in Toronto recently.

I'm not as in tune with the deep house scene since I'm a trance addict, but I'm still in the loop with most of the Toronto scene

EDIT: If you're here for the second term, there will be a music festival in Toronto called "Brrrrr!". Lee Foss, HS82, Eric Volta to play on one of the stages. Might be up your alley.

Spring will definitely be bringing a lot of fresh bookings to Toronto.

I also feel like most of the "deep house" around here is the more popular, 4-to-the-floor stuff, rather than the underground UK bass sound.

Last edited by Buszaj : 12-17-2013 at 10:31 AM.

londoner says thanks to Buszaj for this post.
Old 12-17-2013 at 10:43 AM   #8
londoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by projoy View Post
Yes, absolutely! That is exactly what I do!!

Go to "thedeepnorth.ca" . These guys showcase a lot of the local talent alongside bigger artists from elsewhere. Just go to 'Late and Deep' under events and sign up for the mailing list on their FB page. Holla if you actually do this!

If you're into something less underground, I suggest following promoters on FB. Blackprint, Sound Mind, Balance.Inc are pretty good; lately they've been bringing guys like Zabiela, Bicep, etc. They also bring a lot of techno artists.

Either way, you shouldn't have any trouble finding some great jams in TO
This is brilliant, thanks a lot! Will keep an eye on the FB page and also have subscribed to the mail list!

Zabiela and Bicep are huge! Would be great to see those and similar artists on my study abroad year!

Glad to know there are these type of events about in Toronto - living all my life in London (GB) and currently living in Leeds for university has had me spoilt for choice when it comes to this music scene!

Is there quite a few people who tend to travel up to Toronto (from McMaster) on the weekends for nights like these or is it quite a small scene?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buszaj View Post
You certainly won't find anything in Hamilton. Only time you might hear it is one of the DJs at the campus bar 1280 warming up in the first couple of hours on a Thursday.

Toronto you can find anything within electronic music though. For deep house, Footwork is the most common venue to bring in artists. (They recently moved to 794 Bathurst).

Look up and follow Platform Productions, I/O productions, Balance Inc., and even Embrace is starting to get in on it.

Footwork, Ryze, and occasionally Maison are the home of most deep house events. Lot of techno is thrown into the mix with these promoters.

Guy Gerber and Hot Since 82 both in Toronto recently.

I'm not as in tune with the deep house scene since I'm a trance addict, but I'm still in the loop with most of the Toronto scene

EDIT: If you're here for the second term, there will be a music festival in Toronto called "Brrrrr!". Lee Foss, HS82, Eric Volta to play on one of the stages. Might be up your alley.

Spring will definitely be bringing a lot of fresh bookings to Toronto.

I also feel like most of the "deep house" around here is the more popular, 4-to-the-floor stuff, rather than the underground UK bass sound.
Cheers mate I will look into these venues and promoters.

Good to hear that Hot Since 82 has made an appearance in Toronto, he is from Leeds (where I am currently studying) and he is a huge fan favourite - plays 3h+ sets!

EDIT: The offer I have at McMaster is to study my third year there. So from September 2014 (start of term?) onwards to June 2015 (end of exams?) - not too sure of the Canadian term times.

Well looking at some of the upcoming events from the promoters you've mentioned, I have seen listings a lot more hopeful than the typical progressive/electro house (Avicii, Steve Angello, Martin Garrix, etc).

How much is the train/bus to Toronto (return) approx.? Is there transport running to come back to Hamilton in the early hours of next morning?

Last edited by londoner : 12-17-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: added details
Old 12-17-2013 at 11:01 AM   #9
Buszaj

People have been going nuts for HS82 here lately lol.

I wouldn't say there are a lot of people that trek down from Hamilton, but certainly a good handful. But it's not something where everyone knows each other and they go together.

If you can make friends with someone who drives there, it would be ideal.

Otherwise, the mission is GO transit bus to downtown Toronto, main event, afterhours, catch the 7AM GO bus back to Hamilton. (Busses don't run at night and since events end at 4/5AM, you're stuck downtown for a few hours haha).
Old 12-17-2013 at 11:03 AM   #10
Buszaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by londoner View Post
EDIT: The offer I have at McMaster is to study my third year there. So from September 2014 (start of term?) onwards to June 2015 (end of exams?) - not too sure of the Canadian term times.

Well looking at some of the upcoming events from the promoters you've mentioned, I have seen listings a lot more hopeful than the typical progressive/electro house (Avicii, Steve Angello, Martin Garrix, etc).

How much is the train/bus to Toronto (return) approx.? Is there transport running to come back to Hamilton in the early hours of next morning?
You'll still catch plenty of great acts. The fall is actually when there are a lot more better bookings since the summer festival circuit is coming to an end.

There's a lot more visible hype about the mainstream electro/big room house events, but that's just because of the way the scene is right now. Follow the right Facebook pages/groups and friends, and you'll see how much Toronto has to offer.

As for the GO bus I mentioned, it's about $10 each way.
Old 12-17-2013 at 11:18 AM   #11
londoner

Quote:
People have been going nuts for HS82 here lately lol.

I wouldn't say there are a lot of people that trek down from Hamilton, but certainly a good handful. But it's not something where everyone knows each other and they go together.

If you can make friends with someone who drives there, it would be ideal.

Otherwise, the mission is GO transit bus to downtown Toronto, main event, afterhours, catch the 7AM GO bus back to Hamilton. (Busses don't run at night and since events end at 4/5AM, you're stuck downtown for a few hours haha).
Yeah I get you. Here in Leeds the scene is pretty huge, there's such an abundance of events that you are almost looked at weirdly if you aren't a fan of the music haha!

Ah yeah, I'm used to those early morning waits for the first train so that shouldn't be a problem unless Toronto is really as cold as they say haha !

Quote:
You'll still catch plenty of great acts. The fall is actually when there are a lot more better bookings since the summer festival circuit is coming to an end.

There's a lot more visible hype about the mainstream electro/big room house events, but that's just because of the way the scene is right now. Follow the right Facebook pages/groups and friends, and you'll see how much Toronto has to offer.

As for the GO bus I mentioned, it's about $10 each way.
$10 sounds really cheap, good to know! I'm edging closer to accepting this year abroad offer. It wasn't my first choice but I feel that a year of study abroad will be a wonderful experience to have especially as a student when there are minimal cares to worry about. Glad to know that there will be some good raves to hit up when Civil Engineering has me stressed out to the max!!
Old 12-17-2013 at 11:25 AM   #12
Buszaj

It's only cold in the winter haha. Even then it's variable year to year

If you accept your offer, you'll have a blast here. So much to do in Toronto and the surrounding areas, and even within a few hour radius. If you have some money kicking around, ton of places across Canada to see.

londoner says thanks to Buszaj for this post.
Old 12-17-2013 at 11:40 AM   #13
londoner

Thanks for the heads up! Think I may just take the plunge and go for it. Haven't left my comfort zone in all my life. Pretty much a no brainer.

Thanks for all your help once again!

RyanC likes this.
Old 12-27-2013 at 02:07 AM   #14
raptorboi

Liked: 6 Times

Stay in england, you will be disappointed . Can't even buy booze at the convenience store .
Old 02-25-2014 at 11:06 PM   #15
Dgovedar

If you are for looking electronic music in Hamilton follow Volv, Glow Guys Entertainment, Allure Entertainment and La Vella Nightlife on Facebook.

Volv is the largest and most mainstream in Hamilton, with upcoming bookings such as Tommy Trash and Dzeko & Torres. While Glow Guys and the rest are more more underground with bookings such as Addy and Funkagenda.

Torontos electronic scene is one of the strongest in the world which i highly recommend, however supporting local events is important as well! Find me on facebook if you want more info or want to hit some events!

Also join the facebook group Hamilton Rave Community!

- Daniel Govedar
Owner of Glow Guys Entertainment