MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering admission program 2nd year mfattal General Discussion 19 06-10-2011 11:46 PM
2nd year Biochem admission marido Academics 3 02-14-2011 06:47 PM
Second Year Program Admission Results AnthraX Academics 15 05-20-2010 10:11 PM
second year commerce admission schoikim Academics 9 05-31-2009 10:30 PM
2nd Year Program Admission Dauhu Academics 13 06-28-2008 08:30 AM

Deferral of Admission for 1 year, help.

Old 09-05-2013 at 12:19 PM   #1
JamesK

Liked: 2 Times

Deferral of Admission for 1 year, help.
Hey guys, i posted here a couple weeks ago asking about deferring for a year and whether or not i should do it, but i ended up leaving out an important detail which has to do with the health of an immediate family member. After much deliberation and after discussing it with my family, we've decided it's probably best i wait a year before going to university because this "problem" could have a pretty significant impact on myself and my studies if things don't end up going well.

Anyways, i've looked on the Mcmaster website, and i've followed their instructions and mailed a letter to their offices requesting a one year deferral, i sent it about a week ago, but i'm a little confused as to what to do now. classes have begun, and i have no idea whether or not they've accepted my deferral or not, or if i am supposed to do anything else while i wait, such as cancelling my courses or calling the school. The school site didn't offer much else in terms of help besides mailing that letter, so if anybody has an idea of what i should do to ensure this happens smoothly, it would help me greatly. thanks.
Old 09-05-2013 at 12:22 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Call admissions phone line
http://future.mcmaster.ca/admission/contact-us/

JamesK likes this.
Old 09-05-2013 at 12:55 PM   #3
JamesK

Okay, so i called the number, and all the woman said was that it's my call; i attend classes and wait to see if i get a deferral or stay home and wait to see if i get a deferral. but i'm not going this year no matter what the response, so if i get rejected am i able to reapply next year to the same program through ouac? or i am now screwed for that and will have to be forced to change programs/schools?
Old 09-05-2013 at 02:48 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Deferral means you're guaranteed acceptance for the following year. If you're not granted deferral that shouldn't preclude reapplying next year through OUAC.

Just make sure you cancel all of your courses before the cancellation date otherwise you'll get a financial penalty (ie have to pay for a certain percentage of the courses).
Old 09-05-2013 at 07:24 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Call again and ask. I'd assume your spot isn't guaranteed but I know friends in other schools have their spot saved for the future year due to army so it could work out
Old 09-05-2013 at 09:23 PM   #6
JamesK

yeah, if i'm granted a deferral they basically guarantee my spot next year- which is why i want one, just in case. but it's good to know i can just reapply next year. i'll wait until about september 10th, and if i still have no response, i'll cancel all my courses, because the deadline is the 13th, right?

anyways, i would have asked more questions, but whoever i was talking to seemed kind of pissed off as if i was asking stupid questions, so i just said bye after i got that general answer of "go to classes and wait, or stay at home and wait, your choice"