MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interesting Data zeChinaman General Discussion 14 04-12-2010 04:22 PM
Some rather Interesting websites! :0 huzaifa47 General Discussion 4 08-26-2009 09:21 PM
McMaster Fun Facts Victor K General Discussion 42 07-08-2009 11:52 PM
Interesting Videos.... lorend General Discussion 7 03-15-2009 03:57 PM
Interesting video... 'hugs' Chad Computers & Tech 4 10-16-2006 03:18 PM

Did You Know? Interesting Facts!

Old 08-31-2009 at 12:35 PM   #211
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Mythbusters just got busted XD

Old 08-31-2009 at 12:37 PM   #212
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternHeat View Post
Im sur the university didn't blow up nearly as much as Mythbusters though :p
Old 08-31-2009 at 12:39 PM   #213
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternHeat View Post
It says in the article that you need huge pressure... of course any carbon-containing substance can be put into extreme conditions, but generally Mythbusters tries to see if it's possible within normal conditions... if it's not possible under somewhat easy/normal conditions, then the myth is busted.

I'm watching the episode right now, so I can comment further in a few minutes.
Old 08-31-2009 at 12:39 PM   #214
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
I still don't think it's possible. First of all, you would have to have the tips of the two diamonds perfectly aligned so that when you do put pressure they don't move. Secondly, I don't think that you can cause enough heat by just pressure alone. Thirdly, peanut butter isn't JUST carbon...
Old 08-31-2009 at 12:56 PM   #215
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:

I love science.

Also: I need that machine. And 2 diamonds.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 08-31-2009 at 12:56 PM   #216
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I still don't think it's possible. First of all, you would have to have the tips of the two diamonds perfectly aligned so that when you do put pressure they don't move. Secondly, I don't think that you can cause enough heat by just pressure alone. Thirdly, peanut butter isn't JUST carbon...
I don't get the science stuff; I wouldn't have thought it was possible either, but according to this, its already been done.
Old 08-31-2009 at 12:58 PM   #217
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I love science.

Also: I need that machine. And 2 diamonds.
The diamonds are easy to come by with a little womanly charm. The machine....not so much :p
Old 08-31-2009 at 12:59 PM   #218
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
I don't get the science stuff; I wouldn't have thought it was possible either, but according to this, its already been done.
Yes, it might be possible, but Mythbusters tested the myth that you can make diamonds at home, which isn't possible.
Old 08-31-2009 at 04:10 PM   #219
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

MythBusters, in my opinion, is becoming kind of stupid. Some of these more recent myths they've been testing out are just stupid, such as "Can a ninja catch a bullet?". Obviously not, considering there were no guns around when Ninjas were around, and considering that Ninjas obviously cannot move faster than the speed of sound .

I also found the episode where they blew up a Moped and then cut a car in half with thermite pretty dumb. That seemed to be catering to the crowd who likes big explosions and not thinking :p. I don't see what the myth to be busted was there.

I'd prefer if they went back to actually interesting myths with surprising results like "Can you get hit by a bullet underwater?". I found it amazing how under only a couple feet of water, you're protected from a lot of artillery.

P.S. Why did everyone want that guy Tori to come to McMaster before over Grant? Grant is so much more awesome. Tori is more like the guy everyone orders around to execute their plans :p
Old 08-31-2009 at 04:14 PM   #220
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

That's actually really interesting. Finally a use for peanut butter besides eating it (ugh, I hate that stuff :p)

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 08-31-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-31-2009 at 04:28 PM   #221
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
... a use for peanut butter besides eating it (ugh, I hate that stuff :p)
Nice try; nobody hates peanut butter. Your trolling won't work here.
Old 08-31-2009 at 04:35 PM   #222
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
MythBusters, in my opinion, is becoming kind of stupid. Some of these more recent myths they've been testing out are just stupid, such as "Can a ninja catch a bullet?". Obviously not, considering there were no guns around when Ninjas were around, and considering that Ninjas obviously cannot move faster than the speed of sound .

I also found the episode where they blew up a Moped and then cut a car in half with thermite pretty dumb. That seemed to be catering to the crowd who likes big explosions and not thinking :p. I don't see what the myth to be busted was there.

I'd prefer if they went back to actually interesting myths with surprising results like "Can you get hit by a bullet underwater?". I found it amazing how under only a couple feet of water, you're protected from a lot of artillery.

P.S. Why did everyone want that guy Tori to come to McMaster before over Grant? Grant is so much more awesome. Tori is more like the guy everyone orders around to execute their plans :p
Tori is a hot piece of man meat, that's why.

;D

I agree with you though, the bullet-underwater episode is one of my favorites ever. I would have never thought those would be the results. But yea, a lot of the new stuff is just catering to the explosion-loving audience, and even their methods are becoming more and more unorthodox.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 08-31-2009 at 07:00 PM   #223
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Lol, Tori plays the idiot of the bunch. Some of the things he does is just ridiculously stupid >.<

I agree, Mythbusters isn't what it used to be. Hopefully the upcoming season will be better.
Old 08-31-2009 at 09:25 PM   #224
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Lol, Tori plays the idiot of the bunch. Some of the things he does is just ridiculously stupid >.<

I agree, Mythbusters isn't what it used to be. Hopefully the upcoming season will be better.
They must be running out of myths to bust... and it doesn't help that they refuse to try some myths due to restrictions by their network and advertisers.
Old 08-31-2009 at 09:46 PM   #225
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
They must be running out of myths to bust... and it doesn't help that they refuse to try some myths due to restrictions by their network and advertisers.
Yeah, they mostly do things that people tell them to do. So if you do want to see something you should send in a request. You won't see it for a while though, it takes months to do a show.