MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switch Programs shahzorasad Introduce Yourself 1 05-15-2011 09:57 PM
How difficult is it to transfer programs? rexelle Academics 6 05-30-2010 06:48 PM
switch programs from one faculty to another? m0nica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-23-2010 02:56 PM
Switch Programs In Second Year crazytown Academics 3 06-24-2009 07:34 PM
Switch programs within the faculty? bellaaa General Discussion 4 03-23-2009 09:01 PM

Is it difficult to switch programs for the second year?

Old 05-26-2013 at 06:37 PM   #1
MariamH

Liked: 0 Times

Is it difficult to switch programs for the second year?
Hi

Supposedly I would like to switch programs from Nursing to Life Sciences (or any other program) for the second year. It's unlikely that this will actually happen but I would still like to be informed. Is this process difficult?

I've emailed Life Sciences program and yet I've got no response from them. As today is Sunday, I am going to wait till tomorrow to call them.

Thank you!!

Last edited by MariamH : 05-26-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-26-2013 at 06:51 PM   #2
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

Engineers are not going to like this :(

To answer your question: The process shouldn't be difficult. You might have to take some extra courses to satisfy requirements for Life Sci I. It's not like you're asking to transfer to Health Sci which would be entirely different as its a very selective program - more than Life Sci. Good Luck
Old 05-26-2013 at 07:05 PM   #3
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 11 Times

There are a ton of Life Sci Level 2 programs that you could switch into. If you want to stay mainstream and go into Honours Life Sciences you just have to meet their requirements. check out this page http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...13/pg1957.html. Im not entirely sure what classes you take as a nurse first year but im pretty sure you wouldnt have the 24 units of life sic course prereqs that you need..but there ARE substitutes listed in the notes. --the only two classes that you take in first year nursing (w/o electives) are Psych 1X03 and 1XX3. Definitely ask if it is at all possible when you call tomorrow but it would have been easier for you to switch from almost ANY OTHER faculty. Its just because nursing is such a special program that makes it harder.
Old 05-26-2013 at 07:13 PM   #4
MariamH

Liked: 0 Times

So I will have to take the prereqs (for Life Sciences) in my first year? Suppose I like nursing in the first term, but I suddenly change my mind in the second term. Do I still have to take the prereqs in the first term or can I take them in the 2nd term?

I'm a bit confused about the process so I would appreciate if someone could clarify this for me.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2013 at 08:43 PM   #5
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

It doesnt matter WHEN you take the prereqs as long as you take them. But im not entirely sure it is POSSIBLE for you to take all the prereqs for the second year life sciences program being in nursing. A typical year is 30 units of classes. Alot of those will be program specific--ie you will be taking NURSING classes. but for honours life sciences 2 you need TWENTY FOUR UNITS worth of prereqs...only 6 of which you will be getting taking Psychology in Nursing...so you still have to take 18 units--ie 6 classes to meet the requirements. Idk how nursing works but you probably have about 6 units of electives..so you could choose life sci courses for that...so by the end of your first year you would only have 12 of the required 24 courses to get into a second year honours life sci program. I suppose you could do summer school and take the remaining 4 courses then... I just don't know how practical that would be. Definitely call the school and ask if there are any transferable credits that you take in nursing that could go towards those prereqs.
Old 05-26-2013 at 09:52 PM   #6
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraV View Post
There are a ton of Life Sci Level 2 programs that you could switch into. If you want to stay mainstream and go into Honours Life Sciences you just have to meet their requirements. check out this page http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...13/pg1957.html. Im not entirely sure what classes you take as a nurse first year but im pretty sure you wouldnt have the 24 units of life sic course prereqs that you need..but there ARE substitutes listed in the notes. --the only two classes that you take in first year nursing (w/o electives) are Psych 1X03 and 1XX3. Definitely ask if it is at all possible when you call tomorrow but it would have been easier for you to switch from almost ANY OTHER faculty. Its just because nursing is such a special program that makes it harder.
what do u mean 'ton of lvl 2 life sci programs'? only program a person who took only 1st year nursing courses may be allowed to switch into is life sci. i cant imagine a nurse having prereqs done for any other program.
Old 05-26-2013 at 10:19 PM   #7
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

there are a ton of science programs that have the same/similar prereqs that you could switch into! and as i was saying, a nurse's first year program requirements ARENT prerequisites even to the mainstream life sciences 2 program as far as i can see. the only course of the 24 life sci I course they need that nurses take in first year is Psych 1X03 and 1XX3...so only 6 units of the 24 have been fulfilled. either way they'd have to take a ton of summer school to make it up.
Old 05-26-2013 at 10:22 PM   #8
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

NURSING COURSES: Level I: 30 units

(Units graded: 28; Units Pass/Fail: 2)

9 units HTH SCI 1LL3 (formerly HTH SCI 1AA3) , 1H06
12 units NURSING 1F03, 1G03, 1I02, 1J02, 1K02
6 units PSYCH 1X03, 1XX3 (McMaster and Mohawk sites); or PSYCH 1N03, 1NN3 (Conestoga site)
3 units Electives
2 courses WHMIS 1A00 (or NURSING 1A00), HTH SCI 1BS0

so you'd have both psychology 1x03 and 1xx3 and only THREE units of electives actually... so you'd still need 15 units..which is a full half year's worth of courses (5 courses)