MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are you Having Difficulty with Accounting 2AA3? healthsci1 General Discussion 2 10-25-2010 09:01 AM
Having difficulty making friends ShesTheMan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 09-24-2010 06:14 PM
Difficulty of ECON 1BB3 ragedevil67 Academics 21 06-25-2010 11:20 AM
Electrical/Biomed Difficulty TedMosby Academics 32 06-24-2010 08:56 PM
Stats 1L03 - Difficulty Jake General Discussion 3 09-13-2009 12:21 AM

difficulty with TA

Old 11-02-2010 at 03:50 PM   #31
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
Frankly I'm just happy there isn't a 'hot girl I'm stalking' thread yet.
For some reason, I'm highly anticipating this now.
Old 11-02-2010 at 03:50 PM   #32
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
I was...just gonna make that.

And what's a CA?
Community advisor. They are upper years who live in rez on each floor that people go to for problems and stuff. They pretty much manage the rez activities and dole out punishment.
Old 11-02-2010 at 03:50 PM   #33
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

A CA is community advisor, the people who supervise first years in residence.

...and occasional sexual predators, as evidenced by Tailsnake.
Old 11-02-2010 at 03:51 PM   #34
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
I was...just gonna make that.

And what's a CA?
This video is the best way to sum up what a CA is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUJniTi9kLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcars View Post
A CA is community advisor, the people who supervise first years in residence.

...and occasional sexual predators, as evidenced by Tailsnake.
I was a CA in second year by the time we dated, at that point it was equal opportunity sexual predation
Old 11-02-2010 at 03:58 PM   #35
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
I was a CA in second year by the time we dated, at that point it was equal opportunity sexual predation
I was just kidding
Old 11-02-2010 at 06:33 PM   #36
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltintal View Post
i'm having difficulty with my TA and i'm wondering if anyone has any advice. the problem being that we are asked to do things without any real guidelines and then AFTER the fact when we're getting our marks back, we're told how it was supposed to have been done. i don't feel that the TA necessarily marks as fairly as the other TAs.

the second part is that information was missed and not taught to our class, but it showed up on the mid-term. the question wasn't worth much, so i didn't argue the point with the prof. but it is annoying.

i have approached this person asking for feedback, but to date, it hasn't helped.

anyone else have problems like this? suggestions?
Getting back on topic, as a TA myself, I'd like to re-iterate some of the things other users have said.

One of the things about university that shocks first year students (and I would argue something that still continues in second year) in general is the fact that you're not spoon fed like you were in high school. Profs (and sometimes TAs) give you a syllabus that has due dates, test dates, information on plagerism and how your marks are determined. Most students don't bother to use their syllabus to find the information they need.

As for the assignment, If you don't understand something, you have to ask for clarification. If you do your assignment wrong, the onus is on you for not understanding the instructions, not the TA for not explaining things to you. If no one asks us questions, we assume everyone gets it. Which is why you should always ask. This also goes for when you are in smaller classes without TAs as well.

Marking is a subjective process, unless the answers are clear-cut (e.g. in math where you get x marks for the final answer, y marks for process etc) it is often up to the marker to determine what something is worth. Essays are also usually marked comparatively to the rest of the class, in some ways.

Also, most high schools completely under-prepare their students for university. That's why its considered normative for students' marks to drop around 15% from high school to university.

Lastly, for tests, if your syllabus says you are supposed to cover certain topics for a given lesson or week, again the responsibility is yours to learn it. If it isn't covered in your tutorial then either a) ask your TA to talk about it in the next one or b) ask to make an appointment with them so you can go over it outside the classroom.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

nerual says thanks to lorend for this post.

dsahota, nerual like this.
Old 11-02-2010 at 08:23 PM   #37
Joey

Liked: 17 Times

Get comfortable bending over.

That is university in a nut shell.

If it makes you feel better the TA's often don't get the criteria until they start marking. I know that is the case with a paper I am writing now. Our TA told us that he won't get marking guide lines until the week it is due.
Old 11-02-2010 at 09:11 PM   #38
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

If the TA is a she, she's probably itching to get laid.

Like Nike said, just do it!

bcars, sycoman like this.
Old 11-03-2010 at 06:20 PM   #39
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
If it makes you feel better the TA's often don't get the criteria until they start marking. I know that is the case with a paper I am writing now. Our TA told us that he won't get marking guide lines until the week it is due.
Very true. In general, academics are terribly unorganized.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-03-2010 at 06:30 PM   #40
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

just sleep with him/her