MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
West Village Suites? hojin523 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 0 08-20-2012 10:39 AM
West village suites ? Yay or Nay ? L'Étoile Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 7 08-11-2011 03:05 PM
West Village Suites - don't live here JackBauer133 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 8 05-12-2010 10:56 PM
West Village Suites... mh519 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 20 08-11-2009 07:43 PM

DO NOT live at West Village Suites - here's why

Old 09-29-2013 at 07:24 PM   #1
notimpressed

Liked: Liked 4 Times

DO NOT live at West Village Suites - here's why
WVS never had a good reputation but mostly people focus on complaining about the poor management. However, there are other things to consider that may further influence you to decide not to live here. I personally have had a poor experience and just wanted to share this with anyone considering this place to live.

-When you move in, it is not always cleaned properly, especially the washroom, kitchens, and common areas. Yes, there will be bugs and leftover garbage from previous tenants.
-The "gym" is dismal. There are 3 treadmills and all 3 have "OUT OF ORDER" signs on them.
-They discreetly cancelled the biweekly cleaning service over the summer and did not notify anyone until now, with a one-line message hidden in a long email about other irrelevant things. The cleaning services has been one of their main selling points but after promising it to tenants, they simply stopped providing it.
-They spend all their resources on luring in new tenants instead of taking care of their current ones (for example, gimmicks like "big smartboard" and "yoga classes", while they cancel cleaning services and don't maintain their current facilities)
-It is not a quiet place to study, people often are partying loudly and screaming down the halls.
-Management doesn't seem to care about you. There are a few nice people at the front desk but the rest just scowl at you when you walk by.
-You pay extra for laundry (it is not included with rent) and the laundry machines are extremely small.
-Mail doesn't seem to always arrive in your mailbox, minor issue but not sure why.
-You can submit "work orders" to get them to perform maintenance on your place, but half the time they label it complete and it is not done.
-There isn't much "security". People are always walking in and out of the building, pretty much anyone can get inside without an access card.
-Their toilets require two flushes to clear them, meaning you will often see the bodily substances of your roommates.
-The wireless internet cuts out once in a while, sometimes up to several times a day.
-There are tons of empty rooms, no matter what they try to advertise about "rooms going fast". Why do you think they are always offering incentives for people to move in?
-This is less relevant but the KASA sushi restaurant downstairs is absolutely terrible. The fish is not fresh and has the worst service. Currently it has a 50%~ rating on urbanspoon but it has been around 20% before.
-The pricing has almost doubled in the past few years. You are going to be paying tons of money for their empty promises. I highly suggest checking out other buildings in the area which are much better for students and you'll be getting more for what you are paying.

These are facts and things that can be observed. Feel free to discuss/provide input.

tsmith says thanks to notimpressed for this post.

Old 09-29-2013 at 07:45 PM   #2
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

Gotta agree with all of it except for the work order one. Have had a pretty good experience with them about that.

Sadly since this summer passed WVS has pretty much gone to shit (even more so then before). The removal of cleaning services which was their main selling point is gone now so the place is just an expensive and shitty building to live in. Oh well, live and learn right.

Recommend not going here to live unless you are really desperate and cannot find another place to live.

notimpressed likes this.
Old 09-29-2013 at 08:00 PM   #3
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Add to the list the so-called "management" threatening legal action upon a very good tenant for no good reason.

notimpressed likes this.
Old 09-29-2013 at 08:02 PM   #4
Atheist?

why did they threaten legal action?
Old 09-29-2013 at 08:06 PM   #5
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheist? View Post
why did they threaten legal action?
Girlfriend lived there in a September to September span. She got a dog in October, which was OK by all her roommates and which WVS allows. Fast forward to May, all her roommates are moving to new locations so new people are living there to occupy the summer months. All of them prior to move in knew of the dog and accepted it; however, after a few weeks, one of them throws a fit, complains to management about "being allergic" to dogs and says she never accepted such a thing. A bunch of spin and bs later, an email is received threatening legal action about the dog's presence.

Intimidation tactics aren't cool, kids.

notimpressed likes this.
Old 09-29-2013 at 08:13 PM   #6
Atheist?

wow that sounds like a complete dick move on the roommate's part

oh well only got 7 months left here so meh
hopefully the dog wasn't forced to leave
Old 09-29-2013 at 08:29 PM   #7
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

it was fun living there but it is a ripoff no matter how you look at it. internet getting dced, small ass shower on my side always annoyed me. good thing about the place is the room size since they are pretty big. thats about it.

notimpressed likes this.
Old 09-29-2013 at 08:57 PM   #8
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

That's cause Dundurn Property Management (I live at their student housing main/dundurn) cut off the ties. Most likely the cleaning contract left with them. And yea when i went to see my friend there just tailgated. As for dundurn, I think my total base rent went up 50 bucks, but I still get promos with em

And yea I went there first year to KASA, so bad..

notimpressed likes this.
Old 09-30-2013 at 10:11 AM   #9
notimpressed

Liked: Liked 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
Girlfriend lived there in a September to September span. She got a dog in October, which was OK by all her roommates and which WVS allows. Fast forward to May, all her roommates are moving to new locations so new people are living there to occupy the summer months. All of them prior to move in knew of the dog and accepted it; however, after a few weeks, one of them throws a fit, complains to management about "being allergic" to dogs and says she never accepted such a thing. A bunch of spin and bs later, an email is received threatening legal action about the dog's presence.

Intimidation tactics aren't cool, kids.
Wow that is such a scumbag thing to do, especially since they OK'd the dog at first and then changed their minds.
Old 09-30-2013 at 10:19 AM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by notimpressed View Post
Wow that is such a scumbag thing to do, especially since they OK'd the dog at first and then changed their minds.
It would help if they "OK'd the dog" in writing, but even if they didn't, you're not legally allowed to forbid pets in rental housing.
The dog was there first and the new roommates knew about the dog when they signed the lease. Unless they can prove that they didn't, then there's nothing legally that can be done.
Like eullwm said, it's intimidation tactics.
Old 09-30-2013 at 10:37 AM   #11
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
It would help if they "OK'd the dog" in writing, but even if they didn't, you're not legally allowed to forbid pets in rental housing.
The dog was there first and the new roommates knew about the dog when they signed the lease. Unless they can prove that they didn't, then there's nothing legally that can be done.
Like eullwm said, it's intimidation tactics.
well, actually:
Quote:
However, a landlord may have grounds to apply to evict a tenant, either for having a pet or for smoking, if the pet or smoke damages the property or bothers other tenants.
- source, source2

so if the person is claiming an allergy then it's within the landlord's rights to do something.

not that I'm defending that roommate or the landlord, just throwing 2 cents in.
Old 09-30-2013 at 10:46 AM   #12
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
well, actually:
- source, source2

so if the person is claiming an allergy then it's within the landlord's rights to do something.

not that I'm defending that roommate or the landlord, just throwing 2 cents in.
I thought that was only if they didn't know ahead of time?
That's like me saying, okay, I can't breathe when I'm around cigarette smoke, but I'll go live in a smoking building and have the other tenants evicted :/
Old 09-30-2013 at 11:38 AM   #13
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
I thought that was only if they didn't know ahead of time?
That's like me saying, okay, I can't breathe when I'm around cigarette smoke, but I'll go live in a smoking building and have the other tenants evicted :/

but the roommate could say that they developed the allergy while staying there, and then it would be valid

it's dumb and not really fair.
Old 09-30-2013 at 12:11 PM   #14
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

This is why you see someone's true face when you live with them. Some ppl are real dbags
Old 09-30-2013 at 09:14 PM   #15
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
but the roommate could say that they developed the allergy while staying there, and then it would be valid

it's dumb and not really fair.
They'd have to prove that and medically speaking, you don't just develop an allergy within weeks. It's possible the person didn't know about their allergy beforehand, but that's still their problem.

Idk, it's pointless arguing this, but I do think the dog has a strong case for staying.