MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking FOR ROOM MATES AT WEST VILLAGE SUITES davied Residence & Housing 4 08-11-2011 02:44 PM
West Village Suites Roommate Search! :) katdawg14 Residence & Housing 9 10-25-2010 03:28 AM
West Village Suites - don't live here JackBauer133 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 8 05-12-2010 10:56 PM
West Village Suites... mh519 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 20 08-11-2009 07:43 PM

West village suites ? Yay or Nay ?

Old 08-10-2011 at 11:52 PM   #1
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

West village suites ? Yay or Nay ?
Hi,

I was very impressed by west village suites in terms of security, design, location and the style of living. However, I have few questions.

Is the internet there good? I heard that their internet has alot of problems. Am I allowed to download TV shows etc there ?? Is there a download cap?

Any other things that I missed? I am really worried.

Thanks

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-11-2011 at 12:04 AM   #2
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

I lived there last year in an all male 5 room suite. All the things you mentioned are a big plus to living. However, this is at a cost. Nice accommodations but pricey.

In terms of internet, I generally did not have issues. If you plan on using the internet for school work and/or surfing/chatting you will not see a difference anytime of day. However, you will see a slowdown in terms of download speed during the evening hours (7pm-12pm). By slowdown I mean you will download at like 500kb/s versus the 2-4mb/s I would get at 3am. I download many weekly shows and never had any issues. The only time we had an internet problem was for about a week were surfing was down to a crawl but that was due to a blown circuit board in the building's electrical room.
Old 08-11-2011 at 12:13 AM   #3
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

No download cap ?

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-11-2011
Rath
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-11-2011 at 02:12 AM   #4
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
No download cap ?
Not formally no. However, the building manager did say he would bring it to our attention if there was a large amount of bandwidth usage from out suite. However, we never had any such complaints and I know for a fact we all downloaded quite a bit.

L'Étoile says thanks to pavlov for this post.
Old 08-11-2011 at 02:41 PM   #5
IIkingdrewII

Liked: 3 Times

I'll be staying there this year as well. One of my suitmates has roomed at the WVS for 3 years in a row now. So although like in any living situation there are downsides, the service/ experience that her beared witness to couldn't have been that bad.

The ammeneties and atmosphere found on sight far surpass the living standards of most of the residence buildings in the area. Unfortunately it comes at a cost. Dont worry too much about too many small details, you'll stress yourself out too much lol.

I understand that if you're staying in the Dundurn Houses as opposed to the West Village Suites theres a download cap of 200G or something? But the rental staff at the West Village Suites didnt bring anything to my attention. I presume this is because they purchase a larger package of Bandwidth than the Dundurn Houses invest into.

See you in the fall
Drew

L'Étoile says thanks to IIkingdrewII for this post.
Old 08-11-2011 at 02:54 PM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Noor,

For the sake of everyone next year, could you please provide your feedback on them if you intend to stay there?
Old 08-11-2011 at 02:58 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Sidenote- Even if you have a download cap, you're welcome to use my rez internet anytime !
Old 08-11-2011 at 03:05 PM   #8
H.L.

Liked: 2 Times

Hi,

I've been living in the Suites for the past two years. I've had no problems and I highly recommend living here.