MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tutorials and Labs (Not) Affected by the Strike smiles General Discussion 82 11-04-2009 12:23 AM
Tutorials & Labs Not Affected By The Strike Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-02-2009 11:06 AM
Strike manaya General Discussion 158 09-23-2009 05:55 PM
Go Strike lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-04-2008 06:43 PM
HSR Strike lorend ARCHIVES 0 11-15-2007 12:21 AM

How Do We Know if Our Tutorials Will Run During the Strike?

Old 11-01-2009 at 11:37 AM   #1
MarissaK

Liked: 0 Times

How Do We Know if Our Tutorials Will Run During the Strike?
So far none of my classes have posted anything on ELM. How do we know if we're supposed to go to the tutorial? I know we could just go and see if anyone shows up, but I kind of want to go home on Wednesday if I don't have class... is there any way I can find out in advance?
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:39 AM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2470 1

You can always try e-mailing your prof.
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:43 AM   #3
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Assume they won't run unless told otherwise via the LMS your class is using, or via e-mail from the Prof or TA.

Technically any tutorials run by TAs are supposed to be cancelled as of this week. If they are running it means your TA is "scabbing" and will probably find some way to let you know they plan to continue running tutorials.

If your TA is passionate about "scabbing" they probably would have already told you if they intend to continue running tutorials.

Profs will likely know what is going on with tutorials for their class as well so if you have a lecture before your tutorial for the week they will probably info the class about how things will proceed during the strike.
Old 11-01-2009 at 05:50 PM   #4
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

It can't hurt to be prepared and check this week, just in case. I haven't gotten anything from my History TA, so I'm going to class to see what's up.

Remember to thank your TA if they scab (even if it's not to help you), it can have serious consequences.
Old 11-01-2009 at 05:58 PM   #5
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

I only have 3 TAs and I'm sure 2 of them won't be scabbing but as far as I know 1 of them plans to. I wanted to buy him a coffee or something to bring to tutorial this week but I've never seen him drinking coffee and I see him a lot in the lab and stuff so I don't know if he's a coffee drinker otherwise I would. I will certainly be thanking him though because we have a major group project for this class that relies on the software he is teaching us in tutorial and he has a lot of knowledge on it. He's extremely helpful, knowledgeable and friendly and deserves a huge thank you for his dedication in the face of CUPE threatening "scabs."
Old 11-01-2009 at 06:09 PM   #6
samikas

Liked: 4 Times

This is somewhat bad advice; assume they are running until you are told otherwise and be sure that you don't miss anything.
TA's were not given a vote on the strike, and are NOT LEGALLY REQUIRED to strike.
http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /images/TA%20Frequently%20Asked%2 0Questions%20-%20In%20the%20event%2 0of%20a%20strike%20Oc t%20%2029.pdf

daisy says thanks to samikas for this post.
Old 11-01-2009 at 06:27 PM   #7
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

yeah i would go more with assuming they ARE going to be held still...because it seems as thought every TA i've spoken to, is opposed to what is going on, and are likely to cross the lines and continue to work....
better to go and not have class than not go and miss something
i guess it depends on how important your tutorials are to you to begin with lol
Old 11-01-2009 at 06:35 PM   #8
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

One of my profs told us in class last Friday in case of a strike tutorials will be cancelled... as for the others I just have to wait until tomorrow too. :(