MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Labs and Tutorials Vaidawg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-09-2010 02:58 PM
Labs and Tutorials LivLucy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 07-14-2010 06:16 PM
Tutorials & Labs Not Affected By The Strike Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-02-2009 11:06 AM
How Do We Know if Our Tutorials Will Run During the Strike? MarissaK General Discussion 7 11-01-2009 06:35 PM
Labs/Tutorials TheAxtmann First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 08-13-2009 06:32 PM

Tutorials and Labs (Not) Affected by the Strike

Old 11-01-2009 at 01:33 AM   #1
smiles

Liked: 20 Times

Tutorials and Labs (Not) Affected by the Strike
I think we should try to make a list of as many courses as we can and try to get as much info on whether labs and tutorials are canceled or not. Please copy and paste the list into your reply. Also try to make it in alphabetical order. Make edits as necessary, please don't abuse!!!I'll start:

First Year Courses
CHEM 1A03: Labs canceled, Tutorials running. Assignments/labs still due on time.
Chem 1E03: Labs Canceled
Engineer 1C03/1P03: Labs and Tutorials still running
HTH SCI 1G03: Tutorials running, at least for some sections.
Psych 1X03: PROCEEDS AS NORMAL.

Second Year Courses

Bio 2B03: no changes
Bio 2D03: labs running as normal
Bio 2E03: labs running as normal, FORMAL LAB STILL DUE
Chem 2OA3: no labs or tutorials..possibly online labs (somehow..not sure how they are working that yet)
Math 2A03: Tutorials, Office Hours and Assignment deadlines remain as scheduled.
Psych 2F03: No tutorials or office hours until further notice.
Stats 2B03: Pretty much proceeds as normal. Tutorials are still running (although there will not be any TA) and assignments are still due.

Third Year Courses
Sociol 3H06: tutorials canceled and no assignments due until the strike is over

Fourth Year Courses

IMPOARTANT: IF YOU DON'T SEE YOUR COURSE HERE, SCROLL DOWN AND CHECK THE LAST POST TO SEE THE MOST RECENT LIST

Last edited by smiles : 11-01-2009 at 01:07 PM.

benjs, feonateresa, Mowicz, salimak, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to smiles for this post.

daisy, lorend, salimak like this.
Old 11-01-2009 at 06:07 AM   #2
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times

Chem 2OA3: no labs or tutorials..possibly online labs (somehow..not sure how they are working that yet)
Old 11-01-2009 at 09:46 AM   #3
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Psych 1X03- Running as normal
Psych 2F03- No Tutorial or Office hours until further notice.
Old 11-01-2009 at 09:46 AM   #4
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Since CUPE is threatening negative action against TAs who scab I don't think its a good idea to keep a list on here of things that will be potentially running during the strike. It would be helpful for students but it will only make it easier for CUPE to find out which TAs are crossing the picket line and punish them.

I don't want to see any TAs punished by CUPE because we made it easy to identity them. It would be best if that information was kept as quiet as possible so CUPE can't identity and threaten our fellow students.
benjs
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-01-2009 at 09:50 AM   #5
Marlowe
Elite Member

With CUPE collecting membership fees from paychecks, they'll automatically have a list of which TAs are still getting paid. :(
Old 11-01-2009 at 09:52 AM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
With CUPE collecting membership fees from paychecks, they'll automatically have a list of which TAs are still getting paid. :(
That sucks.

McMaster needs to do something to protect the so called "scabs" who are helping their students, students who paid tuition to McMaster during this strike. CUPE threatening them is unfair and they should be protected.

daisy, malycknm like this.
Old 11-01-2009 at 09:53 AM   #7
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Here:

First Year Courses
CHEM 1A03: Labs canceled, Tutorials running. Assignments/labs still due on time.

Second Year Courses

Third Year Courses

Fourth Year Courses

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 11-01-2009 at 10:32 AM   #8
smiles

Liked: 20 Times

Thanks Bushra. Guys, like I asked in the original post... copy and paste the list into your reply!!!!!
Old 11-01-2009 at 10:56 AM   #9
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

1st Year Courses:
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:02 AM   #10
Marlowe
Elite Member

Its easier to keep it organized if you copy and paste guys

First Year Courses

Second Year Courses

Third Year Courses

Fourth Year Courses
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:22 AM   #11
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

Just a note, the lab and tutorial cancellations for CHEM 20A3 have yet to be officially announced by Dr.Stover, so its not official, but likely
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:40 AM   #12
monique

Liked: 1 Time

how do we find out whether or not tutorials are cancelled? I've checked ELM, my mac email, course websites and haven't heard anything. Shouldn't profs be letting us know what the deal is? I have a presentation in my tutorial this week and have no idea if it's happening or not.
Also, a friend of mine that's in labour studies says that we as students have the right to not cross the picket line and can't be penalized if we decide not to (i.e. we can't be penalized for not showing up to midterms if they occur during the strike) Is this true?
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:46 AM   #13
Marlowe
Elite Member

In terms of tutorials, if your professor has not posted anything yet than assume that it is still running. Get your presentation done, at least it will be out of the way. E-mail them if you want a more definite answer.

In terms of the not being penalized thing, the university is supposed to make alternate arrangements for you. However, even the picketers are supposed to cross the line for classes- they just aren't supposed to work. If you skip a midterm and try to use the picket line as an excuse its quite likely it won't work. Even if it does, it will probably mean that that percentage of your mark will just be added to your final exam. Again, email first though. Each prof could be different.

monique says thanks to Marlowe for this post.
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:51 AM   #14
monique

Liked: 1 Time

I've emailed both my prof and my TA about my presentation (I can't start it until I hear back from them) and haven't heard anything yet.
Yeah, i figure that you would still get penalized in the end so I'm not going to take my chances with that.