MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
studying for tests?! aw07 General Discussion 3 09-17-2011 12:08 AM
1M03, tips for Studying? cjwittmann Academics 4 08-17-2011 02:37 PM
Anyone else having trouble studying jeboi7 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 01-11-2011 07:25 PM
Studying on Campus Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 12-08-2008 09:24 PM
Studying Methods sycoman Academics 2 09-15-2008 04:44 PM

How do you organize your studying throughout the day?

Old 09-15-2011 at 08:31 PM   #1
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

How do you organize your studying throughout the day?
I need some advice on studying and taking notes from lectures. Right now I'm finding hard to adjust from the high school ways. Everytime I go to the lectures, I just write some notes on paper, but I haven't organized a good binder yet for each course.

What do you guys suggest? My courses like bio and chem have power points. Is it a good idea to print them off and take them to lectures? How do you organize your binders?

Then when you guys get home, what do you do? Start reviewing right away? And for how long? Gah! For some reason I am having a harder time adjusting from high school to uni life in terms of work and study.

jon.john23 says thanks to omgwtfitsp for this post.
Old 09-15-2011 at 08:34 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Right now I'm using a notebook for each of my courses. Prior to now I've always used normal papers and that really bugged me because of all the loose papers and... ugh. Never used computer for notes. Always had loose papers and printouts.

Old 09-15-2011 at 08:40 PM   #3
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfitsp View Post
I need some advice on studying and taking notes from lectures. Right now I'm finding hard to adjust from the high school ways. Everytime I go to the lectures, I just write some notes on paper, but I haven't organized a good binder yet for each course.

What do you guys suggest? My courses like bio and chem have power points. Is it a good idea to print them off and take them to lectures? How do you organize your binders?

Then when you guys get home, what do you do? Start reviewing right away? And for how long? Gah! For some reason I am having a harder time adjusting from high school to uni life in terms of work and study.
I had the same problem when I enter university. Printing off the lecture notes is a pretty good idea that way, you can put extra notes on it as the lecture goes.

I type my notes during lecture and while the lecture is going on, I organize my notes already to make it easier to read off when the lecture is done. But for language courses, I write my notes by hand. I don't really start reviewing the notes I took right away when I get home. I just glanced at them and add other notes that I didn't get to add during the lecture and I also refer to the textbook.

Don't worry, you'll get used to it. It just takes time to do so.
Old 09-15-2011 at 08:40 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

if u have powerpoints, print 4 slides/page and write anything prof says beside those slides.
else blackboard stuff, i take a clipboard/binder of loose paper and just write shit down then organize it all later. another way is to take 1 ringed notebook/class
Old 09-15-2011 at 08:45 PM   #5
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Depends on the class. For something like physics and math I just take notebooks and write in them, but I do practice problems on loose papers and put those in my binders since I don't think it will all fit in the notebook. For bio with kajuira everyone just prints the lectures and fills em in. In chem I also use a notebook for his notes and do problems on loose paper. and finally, psych is all online.
Old 09-15-2011 at 09:02 PM   #6
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

Sweet, okay thanks for your replies guys. It made me somewhat at ease that it's a normal thing and I'll get used to it. Now I just gotta start managing my time wisely
Old 09-15-2011 at 09:20 PM   #7
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

This is totally normal...I think it took me until second term to finally get my routine with types of classes and what types of binders/notebooks to use.

When they give you powerpoints, print them, and date them. That way you aren't wasting your time more than you have to writing everything, or having to log onto your laptop every time you need your notes. Write on them anything the professor says that seems important. Go home and put them in your binder in order (even review a little--I'd say 20 minutes).

For things they use the chalkboard for, ie. math, use a notebook. Try to write as neat as you can so you don't have to rewrite to study notes, because THIS will be your "study book". You will have a collection of all your notes together.

For all homework questions, for math and chem, get separate notebooks for each so all of your papers can be together and so you don't lose them.

This is what I found finally worked for me, after a ton of experimenting. Good luck this year! Don't get too stressed!!

jon.john23 likes this.