MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: Who do you think will be the next MSU President?
Kieran Alkerton 37 31.09%
Ashkan Eshaghbeigi 32 26.89%
Tauseef Khan 5 4.20%
Mary Koziol 35 29.41%
Casey Park 10 8.40%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New blog post from MSU President mkozi MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-05-2010 08:42 AM
First Blog as President-Elect mkozi MacInsiders Announcements 6 04-24-2010 03:30 PM
McMaster's New President Is... lorend MacInsiders Announcements 17 10-16-2009 02:34 PM
MSU Vice President Elections temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 3 04-05-2009 10:02 AM
And the next MSU President is... Chad MacInsiders Announcements 124 02-13-2009 11:46 AM

Who do you think will be the next MSU President?

Old 02-05-2010 at 12:09 PM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Who do you think will be the next MSU President?
Note: This is not who you WANT to win. Who do you THINK will win?

Last edited by Kathy2 : 02-05-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2010 at 12:35 PM   #2
danallan

Liked: 27 Times

I voted for abstain.
I hope he wins!

snaps likes this.
Old 02-05-2010 at 12:36 PM   #3
Nosh

Liked: 17 Times

Casey and his Miley songs stole the hearts of too many first year voters , realistically I think it's Casey Park . During this election I met two kinds of voters at Mac; those who were for Casey Park and those who wanted ANYONE but Casey. The think is it seemed like more upper years wanted no Casey but they divided the 'No Casey' vote between three worthy candidates i.e. Ash , Mary and Kieran. This is what screwed them over , Casey won't necessarily win because he was the best , just that the other style of candidates who were less like him divided their vote. I don't know if i explained that as well as it was in my head , but basically the concept is that of the Canadian Government ; the only reason the conservatives are in is because the left wing vote is so divided .
Old 02-05-2010
RockerSocker
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-05-2010 at 12:40 PM   #4
McIntyre

Liked: 182 Times

Keep in mind generally elections are won by second place votes. That could be a huge thing! I think Ash has been the best at appealing to that and I think he has a really good shot.

danallan likes this.
Old 02-05-2010 at 12:51 PM   #5
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I think realistically it will be Ash or Kieran. I'm probably leaning slightly more towards Ash though.

I think either will do a good job though.
Old 02-05-2010 at 12:52 PM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

I think it will be Kieran but I agree that Ash also has a good shot, due to what McIntyre has said about 2nd place votes. The preferential ballot is important, and I think that will be Casey's downfall, I know I ranked him last and I imagine a lot of others did as well.

So yes essentially I think the top 2 will end up being Kieran and Ash, order to be determined and Mary in the 3rd position. Unfortunately for Tauseef I think he will have been knocked out in the first round.

To echo Marlowe's post I think both Kieran or Ash would do a great job. I voted Ash first and Kieran second so as long as the result leads to one of them being the next MSU President I think the MSU will do well next year.
Old 02-05-2010 at 01:01 PM   #7
aani

Liked: 9 Times

When do we find out the results?
Old 02-05-2010 at 01:05 PM   #8
maya_kanani

Liked: 1 Time

Whenever they finish counting the ballots...which could realistically be anytime today.

Old 02-05-2010 at 01:08 PM   #9
sew12
Elite Member

There are a lot more votes this year than last year, and since its a preferential voting ballot there are many rounds of counting as far as I know. First they have to go through first place votes and the contestant with the least first place votes is knocked out and so on and so forth.

It could still be a while. I have to go to work soon but I'm super curious about the results.
Old 02-05-2010 at 01:09 PM   #10
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

I think Ash deserves to win, and that 's who I voted for, but I think Kieran will take it.

Politics is all about image, and though I can't really pinpoint it exactly, I think he had the most presidential image of all the candidates. If he wins I would attribute it to an excellent marketing team.

(I'm not saying he didn't have good policies as well; I just get the feeling a lot of people who Ive talked to that support Kieran didn't really know what his policies were but for some reason thought he would be a good president nonetheless).
Old 02-05-2010 at 01:09 PM   #11
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

if is casey wins it is bitter sweet for him - yah you won, but you were voted for by your friends + people dumb enough to like bad songs.

I can't imagine it would feel good compared to coming up with all kinds of great ideas and people really liking your plans.

sinsintome likes this.
Old 02-05-2010 at 01:15 PM   #12
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
if is casey wins it is bitter sweet for him - yah you won, but you were voted for by your friends + people dumb enough to like bad songs.

I can't imagine it would feel good compared to coming up with all kinds of great ideas and people really liking your plans.
If Casey wins (I don't even like to think about this as a possibility) I doubt he would view his win in that way.

Just saying.

Even if it were true I doubt anyone's going to be like "only dumb people voted for me."
Old 02-05-2010 at 01:30 PM   #13
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

If Casey wins, I'll cry myself to sleep with sadness...

Oh wait: No I won't , I'll go on not really caring about the MSU next year unless Casey really turns his entire image around which is really really unlikely because I don't think he sees the problem.

And then we have yet another year where many people hardly care for the MSU, relative to other things... We'll always have the MES there for us though!
Old 02-05-2010 at 01:33 PM   #14
KN1991

Liked: 52 Times

You should also consider that although we heard alot of "woo miley cyrus.. i'm voting for you miley!! err... i mean casey!!!" that doesn't mean those first years actually got out to the ballots. Casey's facebook group definitly got alot of support but there's a possibility none of them took the time to cast their vote.

& Nosh i couldn't agree with you more. After aaron joined Kieran i was hoping they'd allll form together (or something along those lines) to prevent a split of votes. But i think the preferential voting system will prevent Casey from taking the top spot, and hmmmmm maybe kieran or ash will be elected. (However i did see a lot of supporters for Mary) sooo we'll just have to wait and seee!

Bree_21 likes this.