MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
McMaster's Motto Shmowen Academics 19 08-20-2010 11:42 AM
McMaster's Colours cowpuppy General Discussion 17 12-01-2009 06:26 PM
McMaster's on STRIKEE!?!?! crys.eg General Discussion 73 07-28-2009 03:07 PM

McMaster's New President Is...

McMaster's New President Is...

McMaster's new president is going to be Patrick Deane, the vice-principal academic at Queen's University, Elizabeth Church reports at the Globe and Mail.

Deane took his post at Queen's in 2005, after acting as president at the University of Winnipeg for more than a year. He came to Canada in 1978 and has a PhD in English literature from the University of Western Ontario. He taught at Western and also at the University of Toronto. He is originally from South Africa.

You can read more about Dr. Deane and his involvement in cracking down on the Queen's homecoming in the Globe Article.

Thanks for the tip from Joey Coleman!
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 10-14-2009 at 09:41 PM   #2
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times
Cool, he went to the same university as my dad (University of the Witwatersrand)

Old 10-14-2009 at 09:42 PM   #3
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times
The Silhouette will have full coverage tomorrow. The paper should be on newsstands by noon.

We've known for a few hours and have been working on the file.

I just realized I haven't updated my information on the site. I'm now at The Globe and Mail commentating on higher education: www.globecampus.ca/blogs/colemans-campus/

I contributed to The Globe and Mail article linked.

Deane is a great choice for McMaster's next president and I look forward to seeing him move McMaster forward during his five year term.

lorend says thanks to fullsmash26 for this post.

Old 10-14-2009 at 10:07 PM   #4
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times
He keeps sheep. Tehe

I could rant about the severance package Peter George got, or the pay that these people get every year...

But this guy keeps sheep. How can I rail against someone who keeps sheep!?!

Baaaahaaaa indeed.

aya017, frhnh, Maegs like this.

Old 10-14-2009 at 10:14 PM   #5
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.erl View Post

I could rant about the severance package Peter George got, or the pay that these people get every year...
Was it really that large? I would think that being a president of McMaster is a job that deserves reasonably high compensation.

Old 10-14-2009 at 10:16 PM   #6
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times
I think it said 1.4 million?

Just wondering with all this cracking down and party-ending, will he get rid of our PJ Parade?

Old 10-14-2009 at 10:22 PM   #7
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
I think it said 1.4 million?

Just wondering with all this cracking down and party-ending, will he get rid of our PJ Parade?
The PJ Parade is not leading down a path that will result in fatalities. It was only a matter of time before someone died during the street parties associated with the Queen's Homecoming.

He has a Peter George like beard.

The problem with P.G's severance is how the university tried to hide it. http://oncampus.macleans.ca/educatio...er-retirement/

Old 10-14-2009 at 10:35 PM   #8
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
He did a great job cracking down on Aberdeen from what I hear

In all seriousness though, I will miss Peter George. He was indeed a legend. Even if he was an overpayed legend.

Old 10-14-2009 at 10:45 PM   #9
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Oh. Sayonara Peter George. :/ Lots of people in positions like these are overpaid but what can I say.

Old 10-14-2009 at 10:48 PM   #10
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
http://www.facebook.com/video/video....subj=501676751
^Best moment of Welcome Week.

Old 10-15-2009 at 12:04 AM   #11
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Oh. Sayonara Peter George. :/ Lots of people in positions like these are overpaid but what can I say.
From what I've heard, even though he was paid a ridiculous amount he was great at getting fundraising for McMaster.

Old 10-15-2009 at 07:56 AM   #12
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times
never taught or worked at Mac? this new president wouldn't be my first choice.

Peter George hasn't left yet you know say your good-bye when his term finishes

Old 10-15-2009 at 08:07 AM   #13
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times
Nothing against Deane, but I am glad I am graduating just as PG leaves. Great President!

Old 10-15-2009 at 12:53 PM   #14
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times
...you would...

Old 10-15-2009 at 06:07 PM   #15
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times
Message for alumni:

...today the appointment of McMaster's next president. Patrick Deane will become president on July 1, 2010.

I have provided the link to the official announcement that will be issued this afternoon and hope you will agree that the Committee to Select a President made an outstanding choice. It found a candidate who will uphold the strong traditions of the University and further strengthen its academic and research programs and its reputation as one of the world's top 100 universities, while addressing its financial health. He succeeds Peter George who retires June 30, 2010 after serving 15 years as McMaster president. I know Patrick is looking forward to getting to know more about McMaster and to meeting members of our alumni community. Please watch for the next edition of the McMaster Times that will include a profile of our new president.
Thank you for your ongoing interest in your university.

Sincerely,
Don Pether,
Chair, McMaster Board of Governors

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search