MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrical and biomedical engineering info titan General Discussion 3 11-20-2013 09:40 PM
Electrical & Biomedical Engineering J.Clouseau First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 69 02-27-2013 01:09 AM
Electrical and Biomedical Engineering! TabbishAziz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 03-30-2012 09:11 AM
Electrical and Biomedical Engineering w/ Management jp1390 Academics 8 06-05-2010 10:30 PM
Electrical & Biomedical Engineering nytrogyn First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 03-21-2009 10:49 AM

What does electrical and biomedical engineering mean?

Old 07-24-2014 at 12:02 PM   #1
ralts40
Account Locked

Liked: 3 Times

What does electrical and biomedical engineering mean?
Hi, I saw that there are multiple options for second year engineering, like chemical and bio-engineering, electrical and biomedical engineering, engineering and management/societ etc.. Pardon my ignorance, but is it 1 degree or double degree for, for example chemical and bio-engineering? Is it a degree in:
i) Chemical Engineering
ii) Bio-engineering

Or is it one degree called chemical and bio-engineering?

Is it the same thing for engineering and management/society? 2 degrees or 1 degree?
And does majors and degrees mean the exact same thing(After you graduate)?

Thanks in advance for helping me clear my misunderstandings
Old 07-24-2014 at 12:19 PM   #2
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

For the bioeng's you can think of it as an electrical or chemical degree with a specialization in biomedical engineering. Your degree will say chemical or electrical tho

Society and Management are a bit different. They are essentially added courses in a complimentary area. Society I believe gives or can give you a minor. Management would allow you to get an MBA in one year.

All are good programs and I would break it down more by interest:

Elec Bio -> like electrical or software and want to work in the biomedical field such as imaging or body sensors or EEG etc.

Chem Bio -> like chem but more into tissue engineering. Less about the machine (as opposed to elec) but more into the tissue interface with the machine. [im really generalizing here. dont know a ton about the program]

Management -> You are interested in the people side of business and could see yourself as a project manager.

Society -> You're flexible and like doing different things. Or have other interests to explore.

ralts40 says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.
Old 07-24-2014 at 03:51 PM   #3
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

It means staying up until 5am everyday.
Old 07-24-2014 at 05:40 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralts40 View Post
Hi, I saw that there are multiple options for second year engineering, like chemical and bio-engineering, electrical and biomedical engineering, engineering and management/societ etc.. Pardon my ignorance, but is it 1 degree or double degree for, for example chemical and bio-engineering? Is it a degree in:
i) Chemical Engineering
ii) Bio-engineering

Or is it one degree called chemical and bio-engineering?

Is it the same thing for engineering and management/society? 2 degrees or 1 degree?
And does majors and degrees mean the exact same thing(After you graduate)?

Thanks in advance for helping me clear my misunderstandings
A major is your specific program, whereas the degree is the qualification you get. For example, you can major in biology, but your degree is BSc or BSc (Hons). When people say "I have a degree in bio" what they really mean is that they have a BSc or BSc (Hons) in biology. So no, they don't mean the exact same thing.
Old 07-24-2014 at 08:09 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

It's just an extra specialization that supposedly helps you gear towards the healthcare industry. Creating medical devices requires the Electrical engineering knowledge to create /program and the bio part is to incorporate how it will interact with humans