MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting a Minor aya017 Academics 0 03-08-2011 10:33 PM
What is a minor really? MacAttk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-11-2010 05:44 AM
GIS Minor: How do I go about getting one? huzaifa47 Academics 8 04-18-2010 02:19 PM
Economics Minor? natashapoly General Discussion 4 05-04-2009 10:31 PM
Minor in Kin? notredame Academics 3 01-18-2009 05:18 PM

How does getting/having a minor work?

Old 03-13-2011 at 10:18 PM   #1
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

How does getting/having a minor work?
Hi, I am a prospective student who will most likely be in life sci I next year unless I get into health sci (I do not think I will). I would like to minor in something but how do you declare a minor?

Also, I have seen that it is possible to minor in music but do you have to go through an audition process like you do if you major in music?

One more question. Does having a minor take ALL your electives away? Because I would like to have the option of going to medschool later and need to take a couple humanities to fill prereqs for some med schools.

I would really appreciate any help! Thanks.
Old 03-13-2011 at 11:32 PM   #2
sf

Liked: 36 Times

You don't declare a minor until you graduate, so you have lots of time to think about which one you want to do/if you actually want to do one. A minor is only 24 units, so it definitely will not take up all your electives.

MirandaC says thanks to sf for this post.
Old 03-13-2011 at 11:40 PM   #3
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnerd View Post
Hi, I am a prospective student who will most likely be in life sci I next year unless I get into health sci (I do not think I will). I would like to minor in something but how do you declare a minor?

Also, I have seen that it is possible to minor in music but do you have to go through an audition process like you do if you major in music?

One more question. Does having a minor take ALL your electives away? Because I would like to have the option of going to medschool later and need to take a couple humanities to fill prereqs for some med schools.

I would really appreciate any help! Thanks.

1) Minors are not declared till graduation time. All you have to do is keep in mind what you would like a minor in, and keep the required number of credits in that area.

2) McMaster doesn't offer a minor in music or multimedia because of how selective the programs are. Music I is seperate from Humanities I, despite being in the same faculty. Music students start off in a class of 30-40 students.

3) No, you don't have to take all your electives right away

MirandaC says thanks to AelyaS for this post.
Old 03-14-2011 at 01:26 AM   #4
irule333

Liked: 2 Times

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1398.html

24 units of Music or Music Cognition of which no more than nine units may be from Level I, subject to the prerequisites and qualifying tests specified in this Calendar.

getting a minor is much easier if you play an instruemnt well enough for ensemble and EE6 courses, but it is still possible to get the music minor without it

no clue about multimedia however

MirandaC says thanks to irule333 for this post.
Old 03-14-2011 at 09:57 AM   #5
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by irule333 View Post
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1398.html

24 units of Music or Music Cognition of which no more than nine units may be from Level I, subject to the prerequisites and qualifying tests specified in this Calendar.

getting a minor is much easier if you play an instruemnt well enough for ensemble and EE6 courses, but it is still possible to get the music minor without it

no clue about multimedia however
I am starting grade 8 piano and I have played tuba for years so I have instruments. I was planning on joining ensembles anyway.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2011 at 08:14 PM   #6
Kayee

Liked: 2 Times

'Enrolment in each of the Commerce courses comprising the Business Minor, (excluding students registered in Engineering and Management, Commerce and Labour Studies students enrolled in COMMERCE 2BA3 and 3BC3 and students admitted to the Minor in Finance and the Minor in Accounting and Financial Management Services) is limited to 40 students who are registered in a four- or five-level McMaster degree program. Places in these courses will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.'

how does minors work if the space is limited?
Old 03-19-2011 at 11:17 PM   #7
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayee View Post
'Enrolment in each of the Commerce courses comprising the Business Minor, (excluding students registered in Engineering and Management, Commerce and Labour Studies students enrolled in COMMERCE 2BA3 and 3BC3 and students admitted to the Minor in Finance and the Minor in Accounting and Financial Management Services) is limited to 40 students who are registered in a four- or five-level McMaster degree program. Places in these courses will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.'

how does minors work if the space is limited?

... read the end of the paragraph. First one with all the courses gets the minors.