MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Major selection Ziggi Academics 2 06-15-2011 10:02 AM
Major Help !!! ghostanime20 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-01-2009 02:13 PM
double major? jordanrogers General Discussion 8 03-01-2009 08:01 PM
double major salad13 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 12-28-2008 04:45 PM

What does kinesiology get me? Major?

Old 05-02-2012 at 05:41 PM   #1
Farky

Liked: 0 Times

What does kinesiology get me? Major?
Hi!
I'm trying to decide between mac & U of T for next year.
At U of T they have this funky thing with majors/minors, you have to have either 2 majors or 1 major & 2 minors or something along those lines.
So I was wondering, what does the undergrad kin program get me? A major?
Can I go to mac and only do a major, or do I have to do a minor too?
Old 05-02-2012 at 05:48 PM   #2
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

no minor is required. you just need to meet the requirements to graduate with a B.Sc kin

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...13/pg1580.html

are the requirements for year 2-4 (there is plenty of elective space for a minor if you so choose).

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...13/pg1578.html
^that's the requirements for kin year 1.

Farky says thanks to yoni for this post.
Old 05-02-2012 at 06:10 PM   #3
Farky

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks
Also, how difficult are the physics based courses (biomech)
Keep in mind I only took grade 11 physics in summer school
Should I consider taking
physics 1L03, or should I just go for it?
What about the math courses? (I got a 91 in grade 12 functions & Ill probably end with ~ 89 in calc)
Old 05-02-2012 at 06:52 PM   #4
sdee

Liked: 8 Times

I'm not in Kin so I can't speak from experience but I do know two friends who never took physics in highschool and they didn't take 1L03 till second year and they were completely fine with all of their 1st year courses.
Also, in terms of high school marks... I don't think you can be certain based on your grade 12 math marks because university is WAY different. It is likely that you'll probably do well, given your mark but you also have to put in the work
There's Math 1LS3 and Math 1A03. Math 1LS3 was a pretty easy course and concepts weren't too hard. On the otherhand, if your a math person, you may choose Math 1A03 which is a bit more challenging.
Old 05-02-2012 at 06:57 PM   #5
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farky View Post
Thanks
Also, how difficult are the physics based courses (biomech)
Keep in mind I only took grade 11 physics in summer school
Should I consider taking
physics 1L03, or should I just go for it?
What about the math courses? (I got a 91 in grade 12 functions & Ill probably end with ~ 89 in calc)
the physics which you would need to take if you wish to do physics 1b03 or just wanna do 1 physics is physics 1l03. its easy and a review of gr 11 from what i hear. math 1ls3 is also easy so you should be fine if you take that. math 1a03 is better imo since integration is a nice skill to have especially in future physics/math courses and math 1a03 isnt too bad if you keep up.
Old 05-02-2012 at 10:33 PM   #6
jade177

Liked: 8 Times

Second year biomechanics is a review of grade 11 physics, and covers a bit of what you would have covered in grade 12 physics. It's fairly straight forward, and you'll have an additional edge from taking both Advanced Functions and Calc (there is a little bit of calculus in the second year biomechanics course)

If you are even remotely considering teacher's college as an option after graduating, then do a minor so that you have 2 teachables. Otherwise, there is no need for a minor.

I just finished my final year of Kin, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Old 06-08-2012 at 05:59 PM   #7
raptorboi

Liked: 6 Times

Great thing about Kin is they do the deciding for you the first two years so you don't have to worry about that(they do a good job too). Thers none of this deciding majors or n e of dat garb, Once your in you just focus on getting good marks and having fun.