MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How does a meal plan work? mehtaad First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-17-2011 04:39 PM
Meal Plan Du92 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 07-05-2011 10:11 PM
Meal Plan VoyozooT General Discussion 17 09-02-2009 09:57 PM
Meal Plan kimrose First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-24-2008 12:49 PM
meal plan? sarahc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-18-2008 01:59 PM

How does meal plan work?

Old 08-19-2012 at 05:35 PM   #1
Unregistered

How does meal plan work?
So money is purchased on a card, then each items cost money and deduct the balance? Is that right?

How much do you guys end up spending per day on average?

Is this process the same for those off campus student that want to eat mainly on campus (due to no cooking rule)?
Old 08-19-2012 at 06:05 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Depends on how many meals you eat and what you buy. I bought no drink and only burgers and fries sometimes chinese and averaged 7 dollars a meal
Old 08-19-2012 at 06:20 PM   #3
Unregistered

7x3 = 24 per day then? So mutiply that by 30 it means I should expect to spend 720 per month on food. Darn that seems alot.
Old 08-19-2012 at 06:24 PM   #4
Christ

Liked: 9 Times

There were some days when I spent less or more on food, but in the end I was left with almost $700 so I just bought random snacks on my last day and took it all home. If you're short on money, you can always refill your card whenever you like.
Old 08-19-2012 at 06:30 PM   #5
ArfuzeToLose

Liked: 1 Time

You enter, pick out what food you want. You'll have a certain initial balance depending on which meal plan you get. Before getting a table to eat or leaving the cafeteria to go back to residence or home etc, they scan your student card which holds that meal plan balance and it gets deducted each time based on what you just bought and its value.

Mine was the large. I don't remember how much was the initial balance but I ran out by January 1st. I have a high metabolism though and ate the most expensive food half the time. I probably spent 25-40$ a day. Most people I know though were pretty conservative with it.

Some of my other friends, even though they're big guys, they didn't have as much of an appetite and had over 300$ left over with a small size meal plan at the end of the year. So really it depends on what and how much you eat.
Old 08-19-2012 at 06:32 PM   #6
ArfuzeToLose

Liked: 1 Time

My final advice though, get a small or extra small and balance your budget unlike me. If anything you can always refill the car anytime by debit in a matter of minutes on campus or online
Old 08-19-2012 at 06:38 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

As Arfuze said it is best to just get the smallest and add more if necessary
Old 08-19-2012 at 11:35 PM   #8
Milk.Tea

Liked: 21 Times

There are two parts in your meal plan, a freedom account and a basic account.
Everyone has the same amount on their basic account, and the freedom account varies.
Freedom allows you to purchase from off campus location, and is transferable, meaning you can use this amount throughout the four/five years.
The basic account expires, but you don't get taxed on food.
http://hospitality.mcmaster. ca/mea...2012-2013.html
Check this link for details.

I spent about $7 on dinner, $3 on breakfast if I didn't make it, and $5 on lunch. So, I spent about $14 in a day. I advise you to buy a few non-perishable things, like canned soup, or cereal to save a few bucks. Also, don't buy drinks if you worry about spending too much.
http://hospitality.mcmaster. ca/mea... 12%202013.pdf
This is also a budget planner if you want to spend all of your money within the year.