MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grad School Acceptance Clematis Academics 4 02-25-2011 11:56 AM
Do You Want to Go to Grad School? lorend Academics 5 10-25-2010 12:19 AM
Grad school xo.monica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 12-28-2009 08:46 PM
Anyone else applying to grad school this year? Kathy2 Academics 4 12-23-2009 12:25 PM
Music 2g03 Ensemble Performance lbqjenny Academics 4 06-21-2009 01:24 PM

does music ensemble course (g03) count for humanities/soc sci course for grad school?

Old 06-11-2011 at 09:05 AM   #1
shimje

Liked: 0 Times

does music ensemble course (g03) count for humanities/soc sci course for grad school?
hello!!)
im looking at some grad school optionss and
both pharmacy and medschool requires full yr humanities/soc sci!
would music emsemble course of g03 count for requirement~?
i think it would but i just wanna make sure that it ACTUALLY does

Thanks!!
Old 06-11-2011 at 10:22 AM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

If you wanna "make sure that it ACTUALLY does" well you better call the grad school/med school and ask them.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 06-11-2011 at 11:10 AM   #3
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Is the course code 1G03? You've given us like...no information.

Music is a Humanities credit, and this course sounds like it's a half year course
Old 06-11-2011 at 11:32 AM   #4
H.L.

Liked: 2 Times

This course runs the full year, even though it is worth 3 credits.
Old 06-11-2011 at 12:39 PM   #5
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I'd doubt it. The whole point of '1 yr humanities/soc sci' is to make sure they are not admitting a computer than cant string a sentence together. Music is great, but doesnt do that.
Old 06-11-2011 at 12:53 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I'd doubt it. The whole point of '1 yr humanities/soc sci' is to make sure they are not admitting a computer than cant string a sentence together. Music is great, but doesnt do that.
If they had restrictions on what humanities/socsci courses you could take, then the admissions pages would say that. If one year of humanities/socsci is required, then you can take any humanities/socsci course you want (with the exception of psych, which after 1st year is counted as a 'science' at most schools--it should say on their website, though).

Also, if it's a 3-unit course then I'm pretty sure it only counts as a half-year, even though the course itself is a full year. You should contact the schools you're interested in to double-check, though.
Old 06-11-2011 at 12:54 PM   #7
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

I'd be surprised if they didn't take it. Most of those schools just say a full year or two half courses of any courses in soc. sci or humanities, and list music as a part of that. I think the point isn't so that they are sure you can read or write - I'm sure if you got into university you can do it well enough, plus it's not like grad/med schols in ontario require english. They just want to see you have other interests/take well rounded courses or something.
Old 06-11-2011 at 01:01 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

There's no restrictions when they say a full year of humanities/soc sci courses, and so I would think it would be fine for the pre-req. However, if you want to be 100% sure, look into the schools you're interested in and contact them just to verify. Also, you'll need another credit as this is only a 3-unit course and they usually require a full-year/6-unit course.