MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't have required courses; confused! alexadams04 Introduce Yourself 1 09-25-2014 07:36 PM
What if I can't get into my required courses yet? goldenx Academics 5 06-18-2013 05:20 PM
How many 2nd and 3rd year courses are you required to take? snair Academics 4 05-27-2011 10:16 AM
Required courses are full anthony First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-30-2010 12:15 AM
what to do if conflicting courses and both courses are very required? killza Academics 11 06-12-2010 05:08 PM

Don't have required courses

Old 09-25-2014 at 03:43 PM   #1
alexadams04

Liked: 0 Times

Don't have required courses
Hey everyone. So I'm a bit confused, hoping some of you guys can help me out. I am in Social Sciences I, wanting to go into Honors Geography and Earth Sciences (which I can't post a link to for some reason... just copy/paste that into google, it's in the academic calendar).

First I want to ask if this is cool, even though I'm in Social Sciences. The Admission says completion of any level I program, so I just assumed.

The thing is though, I just decided a little while ago, and I am missing some of the required courses... and the deadline for adding/dropping courses has passed. I wanted to know what my option were. If I cancel a course, what is the cancellation fee? Can I take the required courses over summer, or can I take them in second year? If someone could clear it up, that''d be great.

Also from the same link above, can I use units for more than one category? Like it says 3 units are required from ENVIR SCI 1B03, which is also listed in the 15 units. Can that course count for both? If that makes any sense. Thanks guys
Old 09-25-2014 at 05:58 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

First, you can't post the link because you don't have enough posts yet - I believe you need 5. You can get around this by posting the url and inserting a space somewhere to break it up so it's not recognized as a url.

Yes, completion of any level 1 program is fine.

The deadline for adding/dropping courses for term 1&3 has passed, but you have plenty of time to change term 2 courses. So, the first question is whether or not the courses you're missing are offered in term 2.

The fee for cancelling a course depends on the date and whether it's a 3-unit or 6-unit course. There is an entire fee schedule on the student accounts and cashiers website. I think right now you'd get refunded 80% of a 3-unit course, but I'm not totally sure - my memory might be wrong.

If you enjoy the course(s) you're currently in though, I'd recommend keeping them. It can save you from having to take an elective you don't want down the road, if you do end up doing summer school for extra credits. And then, it keeps your options open if you change your mind about the program you want.

Whether or not you can take the courses in the summer depends on the courses and if they can find someone to teach them (and what the demand is). The summer courselist changes each year and usually comes out sometime in the winter term (I think Feb? Not sure exactly). However, certain courses (such as the first-year bio and chem) are pretty much consistently offered every year.

As for your last part, I don't think it can count for both but I'm not 100% sure.

You should talk to an academic advisor; they can help you plan out the courses you need to take to get into the program you want.
Old 09-25-2014 at 06:17 PM   #3
MeenaM

Liked: 0 Times

For your first question, yes it is possible to switch faculties as long as you have all the required courses for the program. When you finish year 1, you just choose the program you want (all of them for every faculty and possible combinations will be listed - except for like maybe the special ones like nursing and health sciences and stuff).

I took courses over the summer, so I can vouch that Bio, chem and physics courses will be available.

Last edited by MeenaM : 09-25-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-25-2014 at 07:37 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeenaM View Post
I took courses over the summer, so I can vouch that Bio, chem and physics courses will be available.
As I said before, the courses offered each summer are subject to change. Just because you took a course last summer, that does NOT guarantee that it will be offered in any other summer. However, as I also said before, the big first-year science courses such as bio and chem (and physics, though I didn't explicitly mention it) are pretty much always offered. This is because there is such high demand and plenty of people who can teach it.

It's important for the future though to keep in mind that the courses can change - you don't want to plan your whole university career assuming that you can take a course in the summer only to find out that it's not offered.