MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happens if I dont get into my 2nd year program? mfattal General Discussion 18 12-15-2011 12:20 AM
What happens if you DONT.... shes-a-diva* Academics 1 11-28-2010 01:00 PM
What dont you like about biking camais General Discussion 23 02-08-2010 03:47 PM
Electives that dont require you to go to class sycoman Academics 2 06-24-2009 10:21 PM
My students in the US dont know math Chad General Discussion 13 08-19-2007 09:14 PM

dont know what to do

Members have rated post #312278 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 04-27-2012 at 10:46 PM   #16
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngStud View Post
I have the same problem except that I am in 2nd year EE and I got a 0.85 CA. I've missed the midterms of almost all my courses in 2nd term and I couldn't do much when it came to exams so I missed them.

I've missed midterms due to high anxiety disorders and big depression. I don't think they will believe me howerver, what should I do ? Thank you. Should I change school, ? I'm going to miss Mac but I don't think I have a choice now...
From what I understand, the Engineering office and Sally Williams are very helpful so they would be your first line of contact. I'd also recommend speaking to an academic advisor, but also your doctors. They could provide medical documentation, and you may possibly find that you want a year to rest and get better before coming back or just transferring.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 04-27-2012 at 10:58 PM   #17
nan100

Liked: 3 Times

if i make a reinstatement letter who do i give it to ? and whos the academic advisor ?
Old 04-27-2012 at 11:00 PM   #18
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

Maybe your just not cut out for university..I don't mean to be too negative or harsh sounding, but it definitely isn't for everybody. You definitely don't want to be "that guy" who is still in the same undergrad program for the past 10 years and hasn't come close to graduating yet.

I've personally seen this happen with my friends brother who was in engineering...he took engineering classes when he first graduated high school and 10 years later...still not even close to graduating. I believe he's given up that path and started an electrical apprenticeship.

Why does it have to be another university? What's wrong with college? It might be the better choice for you. College training tends to be more hands on and the classes are more focused. The "engineering technology" programs also have very good employment prospects.

It's just something to consider - please don't take my advice the wrong way. Many countless souls go to university for almost no purpose at all other than they think it's what is expected of them and then they try out a technical major in college and immediately discover it's what they should have done all along.

lgdynasty likes this.
Old 04-27-2012 at 11:07 PM   #19
nan100

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercool View Post
Maybe your just not cut out for university..I don't mean to be too negative or harsh sounding, but it definitely isn't for everybody. You definitely don't want to be "that guy" who is still in the same undergrad program for the past 10 years and hasn't come close to graduating yet.

I've personally seen this happen with my friends brother who was in engineering...he took engineering classes when he first graduated high school and 10 years later...still not even close to graduating. I believe he's given up that path and started an electrical apprenticeship.

Why does it have to be another university? What's wrong with college? It might be the better choice for you. College training tends to be more hands on and the classes are more focused. The "engineering technology" programs also have very good employment prospects.

It's just something to consider - please don't take my advice the wrong way. Many countless souls go to university for almost no purpose at all other than they think it's what is expected of them and then they try out a technical major in college and immediately discover it's what they should have done all along.
I feel that university is for me i liked some of the coarses i took but some not as much i mainly want to get into the computer engineering field and the stuff i want to know the theory and everything behind computer engineering. plus i know i learned from my mistake and im positive i can do better and not spend 10 years for an undergrad

Abhimint likes this.
Old 04-27-2012 at 11:18 PM   #20
nan100

reinstatement form
Do i give my reinstatement form to someone or do i just give it to gilmour hall ?
Old 04-27-2012 at 11:19 PM   #21
Circa

Liked: 160 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedspec View Post
We all deal with anxiety and depression on a daily basis.. ..You just need to learn how to properly cope with stress.
That's a very ignorant statement from someone that knows absolutely nothing of his/her situation. Sure we may all "deal with some level of anxiety and depression" on a daily basis but did you think maybe there are different degrees to the impact it has on some versus others?

Abhimint, nerual all say thanks to Circa for this post.

Old 04-27-2012 at 11:24 PM   #22
stressedspec
Account Locked

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circa View Post
That's a very ignorant statement from someone that knows absolutely nothing of his/her situation. Sure we may all "deal with some level of anxiety and depression" on a daily basis but did you think maybe there are different degrees to the impact it has on some versus others?
well, my judgement was based entirely on how much anxiety and depression i have experienced. I had a similar experience during my first year and have struggled with anxiety/depression for a while. Without proper coping mechanisms i'm not sure where i would be. The op had stated they would have difficulty proving it. So lets assume that the individual has not seeked out any sort of professional care. My point is simple, seek out professional care. We are fortunate to have it available to us.
Old 04-27-2012 at 11:24 PM   #23
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngStud View Post
I have the same problem except that I am in 2nd year EE and I got a 0.85 CA. I've missed the midterms of almost all my courses in 2nd term and I couldn't do much when it came to exams so I missed them.

I've missed midterms due to high anxiety disorders and big depression. I don't think they will believe me howerver, what should I do ? Thank you. Should I change school, ? I'm going to miss Mac but I don't think I have a choice now...
You definitely can't apply to another university and pretend that the last year never happened. They will kick you out for lying.

You said you're in second year--so how were your first year marks? If they were decent, and this represents a significant drop, and you can get documentation proving anxiety/depression (these are real medical problems btw, not something that everyone experiences as someone said above), you should be okay to apply for reinstatement.

For the vast majority of reinstatement applications, you need to take a year off first--reapplying now for september is very sketch. If you have health problems, take the time to recover. Maybe take one or two online courses and do well in them. Taking a year off isn't necessarily a bad thing--it would be worse if you came back in september and were still sick and had the exact same problem as this year.

To the OP, the same thing goes--taking a year off isn't the worst thing. You could take a year off and work, make enough money so that it is less of a stress for you. Hopefully in the next year your mom can find a new job too. Again, taking a couple of online courses could help as well. You can show them you're capable of doing well (by doing well in the online courses) and that the problem has been rectified and should no longer affect your performance.
Old 04-27-2012 at 11:25 PM   #24
stressedspec
Account Locked

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan100 View Post
Do i give my reinstatement form to someone or do i just give it to gilmour hall ?
Students seeking reinstatement must complete the Reinstatement Request Form available at the Office of the Registrar or the Office of the Associate Dean of Engineering. The completed form and the $50 fee must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by June 30.

nan100 likes this.
Old 04-27-2012 at 11:28 PM   #25
Circa

Liked: 160 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedspec View Post
well, my judgement was based entirely on how much anxiety and depression i have experienced. I had a similar experience during my first year and have struggled with anxiety/depression for a while. Without proper coping mechanisms i'm not sure where i would be. The op had stated they would have difficulty proving it. So lets assume that the individual has not seeked out any sort of professional care. My point is simple, seek out professional care. We are fortunate to have it available to us.
I understand what you mean and agree that if that's the case, he/she should seek out professional care right away. It's important to understand if it's the workload/schooling that's causing the anxiety/depression, or the anxiety/depression from other life experiences that's interfering with the work and leading to poor grades. If it's the former, then I agree that better coping mechanisms have to be developed.
Old 04-27-2012 at 11:33 PM   #26
nan100

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
You definitely can't apply to another university and pretend that the last year never happened. They will kick you out for lying.

You said you're in second year--so how were your first year marks? If they were decent, and this represents a significant drop, and you can get documentation proving anxiety/depression (these are real medical problems btw, not something that everyone experiences as someone said above), you should be okay to apply for reinstatement.

For the vast majority of reinstatement applications, you need to take a year off first--reapplying now for september is very sketch. If you have health problems, take the time to recover. Maybe take one or two online courses and do well in them. Taking a year off isn't necessarily a bad thing--it would be worse if you came back in september and were still sick and had the exact same problem as this year.

To the OP, the same thing goes--taking a year off isn't the worst thing. You could take a year off and work, make enough money so that it is less of a stress for you. Hopefully in the next year your mom can find a new job too. Again, taking a couple of online courses could help as well. You can show them you're capable of doing well (by doing well in the online courses) and that the problem has been rectified and should no longer affect your performance.
my mom recently got a job few weeks ago and our expenses are starting to heal so i believe i can definately concentrate more on my studies if i get reinstated. and how can i take coarses online if mcmaster were to kick me out
Old 04-27-2012 at 11:35 PM   #27
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
my mom recently got a job few weeks ago and our expenses are starting to heal so i believe i can definately concentrate more on my studies if i get reinstated. and how can i take coarses online if mcmaster were to kick me out
If you get kicked out, people tend to take online courses through Athabasca.
I'm glad things are getting better
Old 04-27-2012 at 11:36 PM   #28
nan100

Quote:
If you get kicked out, people tend to take online courses through Athabasca.
I'm glad things are getting better
Whats Athabasca
Old 04-27-2012 at 11:38 PM   #29
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Whats Athabasca
Google it--it's a University in Alberta that offers a lot of online courses. You can find what courses are equivalent to McMaster ones on the Registrar's website (I think?)...wherever it talks about letters of permission. You wouldn't need a letter of permission though, if you get kicked out of McMaster. You could just apply for transfer credit if you get back in.
Old 04-27-2012 at 11:41 PM   #30
nan100

Quote:
Google it--it's a University in Alberta that offers a lot of online courses. You can find what courses are equivalent to McMaster ones on the Registrar's website (I think?)...wherever it talks about letters of permission. You wouldn't need a letter of permission though, if you get kicked out of McMaster. You could just apply for transfer credit if you get back in.
thanks alot oh and how long are the courses usually