MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To Drop Physics 1b03? mikki7 Academics 23 03-11-2013 07:21 PM
Physics..should I drop? lifesciman1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 11-08-2011 08:49 PM
If you're going to drop Physics 1B03, let me know! mikem Academics 17 01-02-2010 09:00 AM

Drop PHYSICS 1B03???? Help

Old 03-14-2014 at 12:31 AM   #1
sley2233

Liked: 0 Times

Drop PHYSICS 1B03???? Help
Hey I was just wondering about your opinions on dropping physics 1B03. I failed the only midterm
worth 25% pretty badly. I am not sure how the final exam is going to go?

What are your takes on this?

Thanks,
Old 03-14-2014 at 01:13 AM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Is it a required course for your program? Dropping it may bar you out of it. You can still work hard and do well (I did bad on my 25% midterm too) so it's your choice.

I would talk to your acadmic advisor about it. Go to them and drop in, today is the last day to drop course without failure
Old 03-14-2014 at 01:27 AM   #3
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

This is where you have to gamble.

You can drop it, take it over the summer and spend more time on other courses.

Or you can floor it. Take the midterm solutions, identify your weaknesses and find more problems tailored to that weakness. You'll need to spend more time on 1B03 than other courses when the exam come up. If you do well, you will pass the course. The question on how well you'll pass it depends on your labs and assignments. If they're all decent, then you can aim for a 5. 6 at the most.

Sometimes, a pass is a pass.

MimeMime likes this.
Old 03-14-2014 at 01:42 AM   #4
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

i would drop for sure. better to have a cancel and a reduced courseload (9 instead of 10 courses assuming you took 5 and 5 a term) than to have like a 2-3 in a course for science. if all your other courses are going well, drop physics since it will kill ur gpa.
Old 03-14-2014 at 01:50 AM   #5
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

i would drop for sure. better to have a cancel and a reduced courseload (9 instead of 10 courses assuming you took 5 and 5 a term) than to have like a 2-3 in a course for science. if all your other courses are going well, drop physics since it will kill ur gpa.
Old 03-14-2014 at 11:47 AM   #6
BilluRises

Liked: 3 Times

Listen to me, drop that course and take phys 1b03 and 1bb3 during the summer, I wish I did when I had the chance. I passed my first 1b03 midterm decently but was absolutely destroyed by the exam, it dropped my mark by around 25% drop the course.
Old 03-14-2014 at 12:56 PM   #7
sley2233

Liked: 0 Times

Okay thanks for the input guys, I just wnna pass as of now.... How was the final exam though?
Old 03-14-2014 at 01:32 PM   #8
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sley2233 View Post
Okay thanks for the input guys, I just wnna pass as of now.... How was the final exam though?
One thing I'd like to point out though, especially when today is the last day to drop courses (according to what I read here).

BilluRises pointed out that he took the same course as you and mentioned that the exam wasn't easy. If you got bombed on the exam as well, you will have to retake the course and it will impact your GPA. You may regret it.

Summer school isn't really that bad and is somewhat recommended. I have taken some to lighten my course loads in my upper years. It is fast paced and you will write the midterm two weeks after the course started. You can easily pass it with flying colors and your brain can easily recall what you've learned by the time school starts in the fall.

If you want to get it over and done with and have the summer off. You can do it but it may impact your overall GPA in your upper years.

Just wanted to leave that here for you to dwell on. Play it safe or gun it. It is your call.

Talk to your advisor and he/she will help you make that decision.
Old 03-14-2014 at 02:14 PM   #9
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Liked: 9 Times

Find your balls and make the call based on what YOU think is best for YOU. No one can determine what the best course of action is for you better than you can yourself. We dont know how highly you value your GPA, we dont know if you are the type who is happy with just passing. This is your education, so take control of it and do what you think will be most beneficial to you in the long run.

starfish likes this.
Old 03-14-2014 at 09:29 PM   #10
BilluRises

Liked: 3 Times

Final exam class avg for Dr.Hughes was like 35% and it was 50% of your mark
Old 03-14-2014 at 09:44 PM   #11
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times

I was in a similar situation last yr...flunked the midterm and decided that I'll drop it and take it in the summer rather than take my chances on an exam nicknamed the terminator. Trust me when I say it was SO much easier during the summer. Dr. Massa and Nejat made the course interesting and doable. The questions were straight-forward and fair. I ended up getting a really good mark in 1b03 and finished 1bb3 as well last summer. Best decision I've made in my undergrad to date.
Old 03-14-2014 at 09:55 PM   #12
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

You got one hour to decide