MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Box.net (Like Dropbox) zango General Discussion 13 10-18-2011 07:42 PM
SFAS Dropbox MajorPager General Discussion 1 09-15-2011 07:40 PM
Payment Dropbox!? help quickly luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 04-29-2011 03:15 PM
Backup Your Essays And Projects With Dropbox (FREE!) Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-16-2010 04:00 PM
Double credit for Dropbox users! Jayson193 Student Deals & Discounts 6 10-10-2010 03:17 PM

Dropbox Space Race

Old 10-15-2012 at 01:15 PM   #1
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Dropbox Space Race
For those of you who use Dropbox (and even those who don't), you can earn free storage for 2 years by confirming your school email address with your current account. I just got an additional 3GBs. Go to the Dropbox Space Race page to register and confirm your McMaster email.

From the Dropbox Blog:
Quote:
How it works

Earn points by referring your classmates, friends, and professors to Dropbox (they just need to sign in with their school email and install Dropbox if they haven’t already), and by getting them to complete the “Get Started guide”. As you and your classmates earn more points, everyone from your school registered for Space Race will get more free space. Cosmic.

The Details
  • Rules
  • You must register for Space Race with an eligible school email address (if you have an existing Dropbox account you can still join)!
  • If you’ve signed up for Dropbox with a non-school email, no problem! You can verify your school account on the Space Race page.
  • Your school gets 1 point for each person who registers for Space Race and installs Dropbox on their computer (if they haven’t already).
  • Your school gets 2 more points for each person that goes through the Get Started guide (including you!)
  • Free Space!
  • Just by signing up, you get 3 GB for two years.
  • Each level your school achieves means more free space. That means the more classmates and friends you rally to Dropbox, the more space every Space Racer at your school gets, up to 25 GB for two years!
  • In addition to earning points, you’ll still get the normal 500 MB bonus for each referral.
  • You’ll have 8 weeks to get as many people as you can from your school signed up for Space Race!

Last edited by Yogurt : 10-15-2012 at 01:33 PM.

jim1, lt93, starfish all say thanks to Yogurt for this post.

lt93 likes this.
Old 10-15-2012 at 03:07 PM   #2
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

I already have like 75GB of Dropbox space, but I'm gonna do this anyway
Old 10-15-2012 at 04:32 PM   #3
BigT905

Liked: 6 Times

HOLYYY 75GB thats crazy.. i actually came on here to post about this .. good job getting to it first.. i signed up i hope everyone else signs up .. the max we can get is 25GB + 3GB ... WHICH is pretty damn cool if u ask me
Old 10-15-2012 at 07:25 PM   #4
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Yeah came on Mi to post about this. hopefully alot of students /alumni sign up and we get more, although its only valid for two years.
Old 10-15-2012 at 10:30 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I don't even use 100Mb on my google drive, and I find dropbox tedious to use.

So does anyone with a mac email address basically get some permanent high amount of space or is it only the contest winner who gets something?

Afzal likes this.
Old 10-15-2012 at 10:40 PM   #6
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Anyone with a McMaster email address.

You get 2GB standard on a free Dropbox account. I think it's possible to get another 1.5-2GB by completing certain newcomer "achievements" like linking Facebook and Twitter, and posting to them. You can earn even more through referrals. These are permanent.

For the Space Race thing, you get 3GB for 2 years if you register your McMaster email address. And depending on how many McMaster students also register their email address, you can get even more (I think in 3GB increments), with a cap of 25GB.

So far, I've used 1.25GB of my Dropbox space, and that's solely school stuff. I have crap spread over iCloud, Dropbox, and local document-media folders. I'm trying to regain control and reimplement my magnificent former folder hierarchy system, but the numerous options are making that incredible hard.
Old 10-16-2012 at 01:04 AM   #7
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I don't even use 100Mb on my google drive, and I find dropbox tedious to use.

So does anyone with a mac email address basically get some permanent high amount of space or is it only the contest winner who gets something?
Nope, for 2 years. I don't like the idea of limited-time space.

Yogurt likes this.
Old 10-16-2012 at 10:12 AM   #8
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I have had 5 gigs of online storage space with Windows Skydrive (attached to email account) since the beginning of high school, and I sync my laptop and desktop with it weekly. I never found the benefit of dropbox, especially since it has less space
Old 10-16-2012 at 10:47 AM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I have had 5 gigs of online storage space with Windows Skydrive (attached to email account) since the beginning of high school, and I sync my laptop and desktop with it weekly. I never found the benefit of dropbox, especially since it has less space
Why didn't you upgrade it back to 25GBs? They used to have 25GBs years ago and then dropped to 5GBs, but the people who had SkyDrive before the downgrade had the opportunity to upgrade back up to 25GBs.
Old 10-16-2012 at 10:51 AM   #10
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Why didn't you upgrade it back to 25GBs? They used to have 25GBs years ago and then dropped to 5GBs, but the people who had SkyDrive before the downgrade had the opportunity to upgrade back up to 25GBs.
I thought I used to have 25GB, but I only used like 100 mb so I wasn't horribly concerned. It is more the syncing of folders between computers using Mesh that I really liked, but it stored some data there too
Old 10-16-2012 at 12:03 PM   #11
Porsche911

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
I already have like 75GB of Dropbox space, but I'm gonna do this anyway
How did you get 75 GB?
Old 10-16-2012 at 12:09 PM   #12
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche911 View Post
How did you get 75 GB?
Some android phones come with temporary 50 GB of space.
Old 10-16-2012 at 12:29 PM   #13
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

awesome

i have a shared folder for a dj music pool, so more space never hurts

RyanC likes this.