MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
good idea? AAAAAnson Computers & Tech 0 09-13-2012 11:05 PM
Good idea? Lilly_Allen General Discussion 2 08-30-2012 01:10 AM
Is it a good idea to get a job now? omgwtfitsp General Discussion 4 09-08-2011 09:55 AM
Dropping Electives in Engineering: good idea? keioffice Academics 4 09-12-2008 05:47 PM
Working Part-Time: Good Idea or Bad Idea? lorend Jobs & Employment Tips 2 02-28-2008 01:10 PM

Is dropping out a good idea

Old 11-24-2012 at 06:02 PM   #1
laura1265

Liked: 7 Times

Is dropping out a good idea
I'm not for sure going to but it's not for sure, it's just university is not what I thought it would be. I'm really afraid that I'm going to fail out anyway, I've already dropped one of courses and my entire plan has been compromised. I really just don't know what I want anymore and I would prefer not to be wasting my money while I'm trying to figure it out. On top of that I'm dealing some personal issues that make it really hard to focus. I'm going to go to academic advising on Monday, but I really just need some advice.
Old 11-24-2012 at 06:27 PM   #2
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Dropping is the worst thing you can do.
Take it from me. A good friend of mine has parents who dropped out when the going got tough. They struggle with debts, jobs, finances...even paying the groceries week to week. They foreclosed their house and sent her out to work part-time to pay rent.
All because they didn't stick with it.
No one wants to give them decent jobs. No one wants to give them mortgages.
They're stuck. In a rut.
When the going gets tough, you stick with it.
Having problems in psych? Maybe it's not your thing. Maybe you should transfer to another programme. Or university. Or try a college.
But.
Never.
Give.
Up.

Old 11-24-2012 at 06:31 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Your money is already gone for this semester, so you should at least work your ass off for this term's exams... then you're allowed to consider dropping for term 2 Don't waste the money you've spent unless you're really unable to continue.

Pros of not dropping:
Money isn't totally wasted (you at least get credit)
Might reconsider

Cons of not dropping:
Exam stress
Old 11-24-2012 at 06:42 PM   #4
laura1265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Take it from me. A good friend of mine has parents who dropped out when the going got tough. They struggle with debts, jobs, finances...even paying the groceries week to week. They foreclosed their house and sent her out to work part-time to pay rent.
They're stuck. In a rut.
Having problems in psych? Maybe it's not your thing. Maybe you should transfer to another programme. Or university. Or try a college.
But.
Never.
Give.
Up.
I don't mean forever, I mean more like a year or a semester. Just to kinda figure my shit out
Old 11-24-2012 at 06:43 PM   #5
laura1265

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Your money is already gone for this semester, so you should at least work your ass off for this term's exams... then you're allowed to consider dropping for term 2 Don't waste the money you've spent unless you're really unable to continue.

Pros of not dropping:
Money isn't totally wasted (you at least get credit)
Might reconsider

Cons of not dropping:
Exam stress
I meant next semester
Old 11-24-2012 at 06:46 PM   #6
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

Eh...I say just stick with it.

Honestly, I have started to feel the same way...so your definitely not the only one who is stressed out.

Actually, it's kind of a relief that I'm not the only one who feels this way...studying so hard for a test only to fall short is a sinking feeling that's hard to shake off :(

Commie42, Zebedee like this.
Old 11-24-2012 at 07:17 PM   #7
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
They're stuck. In a rut.
But.
Never.
Give.
Up.
Well said. Stick with it. When things get hard in school, go for extra help. when your stressed, make some time to just relax and get your mind off things. when your dealing with personal things, go hug someone

hillary13, Zebedee like this.
Old 11-24-2012 at 07:23 PM   #8
laura1265

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHiggins View Post
when your dealing with personal things, go hug someone

Commie42 likes this.
Old 11-24-2012 at 07:26 PM   #9
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

I'm actually really surprised that the averages are so bad for that Math 1F03 3rd test...I thought that was the easiest test yet.

The final was apparently easier than the tests...so if that course is one of the courses you were stressed out about, hopefully this year will be the same!

Also, you live on res...it must be a lot easier to form study groups with people. I'm sure there are many other people who probably feel the exact same thing you are currently going through.

Actually..this is kind of an interesting story: A rep I met on Welcome Week informed me that although there are many students at Mac who excel and don't have much difficulties, there are also many people who really struggle. He said the key was to never give up - he mentioned he had something like a 15% in Physics 1B03 and was able to pull his mark up

Commie42 likes this.
Old 11-24-2012 at 07:30 PM   #10
laura1265

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercool View Post
I'm actually really surprised that the averages are so bad for that Math 1F03 3rd test...I thought that was the easiest test yet.

The final was apparently easier than the tests...so if that course is one of the courses you were stressed out about, hopefully this year will be the same!

Also, you live on res...it must be a lot easier to form study groups with people. I'm sure there are many other people who probably feel the exact same thing you are currently going through.

Actually..this is kind of an interesting story: A rep I met on Welcome Week informed me that although there are many students at Mac who excel and don't have much difficulties, there are also many people who really struggle. He said the key was to never give up - he mentioned he had something like a 15% in Physics 1B03 and was able to pull his mark up
I wish I could tell you it was as simple as that, but its so much more complicated
Old 11-24-2012 at 07:30 PM   #11
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

There is no shame in dropping out if you're not sure this is what you want to be doing. I did two years of the CYW program at Mohawk, took three years off to work and figure out what I really wanted to do and then applied at McMaster. One of the best decisions I have ever made, I have absolutely no regrets. Take a semester, a year, or more off - travel, work, meet all different kinds of people and seek out all kinds of new experiences. Check out things like www.couchsurfing.org and www.helpx.com. The more things you expose yourself to, the more you'll figure out what you like. There's no sense in wasting money on something you don't enjoy AND aren't good at - you're right that you'll either fail out or end up with a degree that has nothing to do with what you want to do.

laura1265, nadinee like this.
Old 11-24-2012 at 08:05 PM   #12
Lulie

Liked: 18 Times

A lot of us say we want to drop out - I say it alllll the time - but we don't because when it comes down to it, there's some part of the university experience that we enjoy, or we fear what ppl would say if we did (parents/friends/relatives), or we don't know what else to do with our lives.
Those last two things I listed? Not good enough reasons for staying in/going to uni.
Mildly disagree with above posters who say that you need to continue/keep trying/don't give up.... Sometimes uni is not meant to be. There are tons of ppl that drop out, EVEN WITH GOOD GRADES, that end up somewhere else and most of the time they are happier. As mentioned, transferring is also another option.

You're in first year. Finish off your semester, take the winter break to really figure things out. I don't know what personal problems you are having, but if you can, try to resolve some of them (friends, SO, even parents [this was my problem in first year. parents would call me and involve me in their fights]), or even learn some stress-coping mechanisms during the break.

Most of all.... try to find a reason why you would want to continue at uni or leave it for something else. It's nice to have some sort of plan... even if it doesn't work out.

Goodluck.

laura1265 says thanks to Lulie for this post.
Old 11-24-2012 at 08:46 PM   #13
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

School is for suckers. Especially a bachelors degree. If you got something better lined up, then get out as soon as possible!
Old 11-24-2012 at 09:37 PM   #14
nadinee

Liked: 16 Times

I highly agree with zebedee... do not give up. I cannot excel that enough. you are capable of a lot more than you can imagine.

Commie42, jim1 like this.
Old 11-24-2012 at 09:46 PM   #15
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

I once dropped out of a university I didn't like before completing the first term and it was the best decision I ever made. Now I'm in my first term at Mac and I'm doing really well.

Do whatever your heart tells you. Dropping out doesn't mean you're never going to go to university. You can always restart university in the future.

laura1265 likes this.