MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone NOT buy textbooks? CAHopeful General Discussion 19 06-26-2011 06:40 PM
When to buy textbooks! joannaas First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-19-2010 04:01 PM
Textbooks! tobiasd First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-15-2010 10:54 PM
Why did I even buy some of these textbooks... Ownaginatios Academics 14 12-08-2008 06:53 PM
Textbooks kayleech Academics 16 09-01-2007 04:45 PM

e-textbooks

Old 08-03-2011 at 02:35 PM   #1
aleshia.
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

e-textbooks
Hey everyone! So I know that I don't know what textbooks I need for the upcoming year yet, and I know that once the list comes out, it will probably change, but I'm starting to look around and consider my options for purchasing them.
I was just wondering if anyone has ever used e-textbooks? This website sells them, and also physical copies, if that's what you're looking for. It seems like a great alternative.
Old 08-03-2011 at 03:01 PM   #2
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

psst... www.isohunt.com

aleshia., InvisoBill all say thanks to ikantsepll for this post.

InvisoBill likes this.
Old 08-03-2011 at 03:11 PM   #3
aleshia.
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
psst... www.isohunt.com
well, now i feel dumb.. aha.
Old 08-03-2011 at 03:27 PM   #4
ikantsepll
J's Prince

You can't get them all, and often times you only find old editions, but hey, it's a pirates life for us

aleshia. likes this.
Old 08-03-2011 at 07:04 PM   #5
Shane.A

Liked: 2 Times

Hey, I've been using my e-reader for about a year now. I have placed textbooks on it before. I love it because I can place the books and class notes on my e-reader but on the other hand it's way more convenient using the actual books. Flipping through pages is faster, formulas and tables stay in place unlike on an e-reader, and it just feels better reading from a text. If you have no problems with reading from one I'd say go for it. You'll save yourself some money and back problems!
Old 08-03-2011 at 07:22 PM   #6
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

but then you miss out on the fun of buying it just in case you need it, but then never open it once. and then when the version changes the next year, the icing on the cake!!!

srsly though, i've never bought a new textbook, and i regret buying the used ones that i did buy unless they were absolutely mandatory for the course (i.e. social sciences/humanities courses that test specifically out of a text)

i did use a bunch of PDF's for most of my courses. i honestly dont mind reading off a computer screen for the amount of time im gonna be reading the damn things. plus, control+F is ftw. looking through indices is horribly inefficient.
Old 08-03-2011 at 08:10 PM   #7
aleshia.
Account Disabled by User

ahh! this makes me super excited! ahah. i don't mind reading off the computer either.. i'll just have to block facebook while i'm doing it..

Quote:
i did use a bunch of PDF's for most of my courses. i honestly dont mind reading off a computer screen for the amount of time im gonna be reading the damn things. plus, control+F is ftw. looking through indices is horribly inefficient
i agree with that COMPLETELY. control+F is my lifeline.
Old 08-03-2011 at 09:26 PM   #8
InvisoBill

Liked: 23 Times

I was considering whether, instead of spending like close to $1000 on all my textbooks, I should just spend a fraction of that on like an e-book reader and just use PDFs... much more convenient than reading them on a laptop.

My only concern would be whether I'd be able to find all the necessary PDFs and if zooming in/out on the reader would be more comfortable than reading out of a book. Does anyone who frequently uses like an iPad or something have any advice?
Old 08-03-2011 at 11:04 PM   #9
missscarlett

Liked: 9 Times

Try to get someone who has a reader to let you try theirs out. I have an iPad and I plan to put as many of my textbooks as I can on it, because I'll be commuting and I don't want to lug books around. Zooming in and out is fine for me, the text size is big enough, and you can just make parts bigger if you want to examine a diagram or something.

InvisoBill says thanks to missscarlett for this post.
Old 08-03-2011 at 11:18 PM   #10
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by missscarlett View Post
Try to get someone who has a reader to let you try theirs out. I have an iPad and I plan to put as many of my textbooks as I can on it, because I'll be commuting and I don't want to lug books around. Zooming in and out is fine for me, the text size is big enough, and you can just make parts bigger if you want to examine a diagram or something.
Though I do support ebooks (evident from my earlier posts in this thread lolo), don't take the weight into too much consideration. You never really end up taking textbooks to campus since you're only there for lecture/lab/tutorial and reading during breaks never works. Trust me. Google is far superior.
Old 08-03-2011 at 11:26 PM   #11
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I tend to try and find pdfs for my laptop, then i can do some notes at school while I'm sitting around. Never works, though.

/I would really appreciate anyone sending me some pdfs, my course are update on my profile hint hint lol
Old 08-03-2011 at 11:49 PM   #12
InvisoBill

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I tend to try and find pdfs for my laptop, then i can do some notes at school while I'm sitting around. Never works, though.

/I would really appreciate anyone sending me some pdfs, my course are update on my profile hint hint lol
Why doesn't your method work? Not convenient? Online distractions? Or some other reason?

If you use that magical contraption by name of Google, perhaps you might find a bay for people like us... yarr that be the place I plunder for bootay... *cough* yarr *cough*

But ask around, you might be able to find perhaps an older student with PDFs of like an older edition. I know one guy in the Engineering group uploaded like a bunch of PDFs and solutions for us. Pretty nice of him

I'm also wondering if the CDs that come with some textbooks have the actual textbooks on them or are the CDs just solutions?

Last edited by InvisoBill : 08-04-2011 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Cause Imma BAWS
Old 08-03-2011 at 11:49 PM   #13
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post

PM me your email and I'll hook you up with 3U03 text

Seems like that's the only course we have together :c

But that's the only text I found anyways lol.
Old 08-04-2011 at 12:28 AM   #14
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisoBill View Post
Why doesn't your method work? Not convenient? Online distractions? Or some other reason?

If you use that magical contraption by name of Google, perhaps you might find a bay for people like us... yarr that be the place I plunder for bootay... *cough* yarr *cough*

But ask around, you might be able to find perhaps an older student with PDFs of like an older edition. I know one guy in the Engineering group uploaded like a bunch of PDFs and solutions for us. Pretty nice of him

I'm also wondering if the CDs that come with some textbooks have the actual textbooks on them or are the CDs just solutions?
Nah its just too heavy to bring a textbook commuting, so I kinda get stuck leaving it at home. Pain in the butt when I want to use it for some reason. The reason it doesn't work is its hard to find texts online - all I could get was Bio 2B03 last year.

/yarr I have been to da bay, 'tis limited in books of the text variety but not busty sidebar beauties yarr

Last edited by britb : 08-04-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-04-2011 at 12:39 AM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
PM me your email and I'll hook you up with 3U03 text

Seems like that's the only course we have together :c

But that's the only text I found anyways lol.
Ooh, look at you being all resourceful . Me too, please and thank you?