MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy Second Year Electives TLulu Academics 1 06-30-2010 12:50 PM
easy electives for first year luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-29-2010 11:29 PM
Easy First Year Electives? Sweetie321 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2009 06:35 PM
easy 2nd year electives megzx89 Academics 1 12-29-2008 11:02 PM
Easy first-year Social Sciences Electives? Mr.Prodigy Academics 6 12-08-2008 07:36 AM

Easy First Year Electives

Old 06-16-2008 at 10:11 PM   #166
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

how do I do that?
Old 06-16-2008 at 10:48 PM   #167
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

They may have changed the course dramatically, but I was scheduled for 3 lectures/week too (I think it had something to do with the Registrar's Office only booking lectures in 3hr/week timeslots.) Anyway, we were told to just disregard our last scheduled lecture of the week, as well as the scheduled tutorial. I checked the course calendar, and it says that the course is 3hrs/week, including the experiential component, which leads me to believe that there will only be two lectures/week, plus an average of one hour of volunteering/week. I'm not 100% positive on that, but the course description for 2008 is exactly the same as the description for 2007, so the course probably hasn't changed that much.
Old 06-16-2008 at 11:52 PM   #168
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitaa View Post
hey I'm taking Math 1K03 and then Math 1M03, has anyone taken that here? Is it hard, and how is it formated?
I did that, but four years ago now...so I'm pretty sure the formatting has changed since then.

1K03 was a bunch of assignments (I think best 5/6), two tests and a final. I did okay in this class (good for me in a math class), and because I deferred a test my final was worth either 72% or 68%. My TA was really helpful which I think helped a lot.

1M03 was a bunch of tests (four maybe?) and a final. I didn't pass this class. My TA was unhelpful, and I didn't like how the prof lectured (I have no idea who it was though).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-17-2008 at 03:19 PM   #169
luv.ng.u

Liked: 1 Time

Hi, I'm entering first year Life Science next year.
so far, ive decided on..
term 1: bio 1M03, chem 1A03, math 1A03, psych 1X03, inquiry 1SC3
term2: inquiry 1SC3 (it continues on), bio 1A03, chem 1AA3, math 1B03, physics 1b03, psych 1xx3

or

term 1: bio 1M03, chem 1A03, math 1A03, psych 1X03, health st. 1a03
term2: bio 1A03, chem 1AA3, math 1B03, physics 1b03, psych 1xx3

which options would be better? cuz from what i've read, inquiry has no final exam (is there a midterm), you only have a group project with a dozen of pppls or so.. but health studies has 2 midterms (uncumulative -what does that mean?), exam, 2 papers, and 20% is tutorial participation. but, inquiry is a full term worth only 3 units. Is it possible to even take 6 courses in a term?
Sorry, there's a lot of questions.
Old 06-18-2008 at 11:52 AM   #170
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

from what i have heard about inquiry 1sc3, its actually a pretty simple and easy course. I think it wa sone lecture a week, so its not that big of a load. the course just consists of doing little presentations, assingments and group projects with other people in the class. Its just one hour a week and prob just have to dedicate a few more hours when you have a project. i've had lots of friends that had your option 1 and did fine in all their courses so i think it isn't a big problem. if you work hard then its not that bad. at least you won't have an exam/midterm for it. its just assignments. depends what style you like more.

i took health studies 1a03. check the review section, people have rated this course too. its very social science. i didn't like it at all. hated it actually since i'm so use to the science style of teaching and stuff. the material was very boring and not interesting and the tests were quite difficult. i hated it. but check the review section and see what other ppl have on their opinion.

i think if you are the type of person that will work hard, and dont' slack off alot, then option 1 is not a bad option at all. most people get really high grades in inquiry.
Old 06-18-2008 at 11:52 AM   #171
Thebe

Liked: 0 Times

Hi
I wanted to know what the course breakdown for the peace St 1B03 and the religious st 1B06. I also wanted to know if Mac is still offering the religion st 1J03. That seems like it is a very interesting course. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-18-2008 at 12:59 PM   #172
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Go to the Religious Studies' department website to see if the class is still going on.. but I'm pretty sure it is. What made you think otherwise? My friend is taking Religious Studies 1B06 right now and I know they have 4 or 5 tests based on each religion they learn (Judaism, Islam, Christianity, Hindu.. something else?) and a big essay and the final exam. Like I said above, check out the religious studies' site to see past course outlines.

Ditto to Eva's comment on Health Studies. It was my 2nd worst mark this year and I absolutely hated the class. The head TA Magda was really nice though, so props to her. But other than that... awful class. I'm not sure if it was the fact that the style was very "social science like" but I'm a person with a background in business, social science and science, and I found it awful.
Old 06-18-2008 at 01:21 PM   #173
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

is french 1z06 (beginner's french) supposed to be easy?
Old 06-18-2008 at 04:18 PM   #174
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

depends on how easily you learn languages, how much you remember from high school and elementary school, and how much effort you want to put into it.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-18-2008 at 11:40 PM   #175
seva2007

Music 1A03
Old 06-19-2008 at 08:47 PM   #176
leah.d

Question for chad since he seems to know alot:
have you heard any thing about gerontology 1B03?
i took 1a03 and it was okay but i heard 1b03 was more about how aging affects the body. I think that would be more down my route because i am in kin. it seemed like it was an esay form of everything we have already learned but applied to older people. what do you think?
also, i am very interested in making websites and editing photos
have you heard anything about MMEDIA 1A03?
i would love to take MMEDIA 1B03 but it seems very labour intensive and i don't even know if i have the prerequisites for it (probably have to take 1A03 first right?)
And if i don't know anything about other languages, will Linguisits 1A03 be hard for me? i hear everyone loves it, but im not sure i would.
and one last question. Theater and film 1 B03 looks awesome! can i take that if im in kin? or do i have to take 1a03 (and is that one not good?)
also if i can take it, are there lots of essays? im not so hot with essays but i can do them if they aren't crazy like the one from Enviro SCI 1B03. that one toook forever!!!
Old 06-19-2008 at 09:24 PM   #177
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Leah, if you're interested in making websites and photo editing, MMEDIA 1B03 is your best bet. I'm pretty sure there's no pre-req for it, just a few anti--req's but if you're in kin, I doubt you took anything that is an antireq to MMEDIA 1B03, unless you took some computer science courses.
Old 06-21-2008 at 11:53 AM   #178
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

do you have to be good at drawing or anything for media 1bo3?
Old 06-21-2008 at 10:14 PM   #179
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

I was just wondering, I'm taking bio and chem and such in Life sci, but I really wanted to take some sort of an anatomy course such as Kin, is this a good idea as an elective/?
Old 06-21-2008 at 10:53 PM   #180
lampk

i thought the same as u salimak, but unfortunately it won't fit into my schedule.
b/c im taking chem, bio, phys, math and pysch all in first term...that leaves room in 2nd term for electives, but they don't offer kinesiology 1Y03 in 2nd term, only 1YY3, but you cant do 1YY3 without 1Y03, so im screwed =(