MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to buy healthy food on campus? Strategy General Discussion 35 09-28-2010 04:43 PM
Cheap Insurance? TheBrickWall Automotive & Transportation 11 08-24-2010 07:28 PM
MSU Initiative: Healthy Food Options @1280/Chip Wagon Matt Wright General Discussion 29 02-11-2010 06:27 PM
Cheap Furniture? feonateresa General Discussion 31 07-08-2009 11:18 AM

How to eat cheap & healthy?

Old 07-05-2008 at 02:13 AM   #16
shleyaa

Liked: 8 Times

regarding the fridge rentals...how would you go about doing that? i was thinking of buying my own, but why do that when you can rent?! how much does it usually cost?

Old 07-05-2008 at 09:32 AM   #17
dragonfly

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shleyaa View Post
regarding the fridge rentals...how would you go about doing that? i was thinking of buying my own, but why do that when you can rent?! how much does it usually cost?
McMaster rents with Coldex, and their pricing can be found on this website.
http://www.coldexrents.com/mcmasterpricing.html

Last edited by dragonfly : 07-05-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-05-2008 at 09:44 AM   #18
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

those rental prices are insane!! you can buy your own fridge for less than that!!

http://www.walmart.ca/wps-portal/sto... tegoryId=240

that way you could have it for future years too!
Old 07-05-2008 at 10:03 AM   #19
dragonfly

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Yeah i definitely think I'm going to buy my own. Even if the rental prices were better, because I think i
ll have uses for it the next year. Either I'll keep it as my own fridge, or give it to my sister when she goes to university next year.
Sam's club and Costco also have good prices on some 4cuft fridges.

Last edited by dragonfly : 07-05-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-05-2008 at 04:35 PM   #20
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Buying one is a good idea for a student, I rented mine and I wish I had just bought one

Old 07-05-2008 at 04:45 PM   #21
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

As for eating healthy I would reccommend Bridges the vegtarian cafe. They have a lot of great options. If you're not vegetarian (I'm not) don't let the fact that it's vegetarian scare you. The food is excellent and you won't even notice that you're not eating meat or anything. Bridges is my favourite place to eat on campus. It's not super cheap though, but really filling.

There is a budget planner on the website somewhere that tells you according to your meal plan what you should have at the end of each week to get to the end year and spend all your money. It tells you an amount you'd be spending each day I believe too. I found this to be pretty helpful because I could look at it every once in a while and see if I was on track.

I bought the smallest meal plan last year and first term I was spending so little because I was afraid to run out and once it got closer to the end of the year I found out I had a lot of money left over so I started spending more. If I had worked it out in the beginning it would have been a better plan.

$20 a day sounds about right, unless you go somewhere like Bistro (also awesome food btw) for dinner.

I bought my own fridge too. They aren't that expensive and I found it was great to buy juice and water and keep it in my room because I find drinks are what takes up a lot of extra money. You can spend a little more on food you'd like to eat if you have drinks in your room to eat with it.

Cristina_n13, spiotrowski, ThatGuy, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to sew12 for this post.

Geek, tiger like this.
Old 07-28-2009 at 07:11 AM   #22
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

Where can I find that budget planner? I've searched for it but couldn't find it.
Old 07-28-2009 at 07:42 AM   #23
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Be sure to check out our articles on Food & Meal Plans, as well our The Secret Files articles which give tips on where to get the cheapest food, some great places to eat off-campus, etc.
Old 07-28-2009 at 01:30 PM   #24
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Hey MacEng, if you see this could you post how your budgeting went? Since it was a year ago, I'm sure you could provide some good insight for anyone stressed out about it this year. (:

Did you make any mistakes? Did you run out of cash early, or have a big lump sum at the end you had to 'waste?'
Old 07-28-2009 at 01:52 PM   #25
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
Where can I find that budget planner? I've searched for it but couldn't find it.
http://hospitality.mcmaster. ca/mea...008_2 009.pdf
Old 07-28-2009 at 04:25 PM   #26
myster

Liked: 10 Times

If you know how to cook, $7-8 is enough to eat healthy each day.

I try my best to keep it under $7 per day when I don't eat out.
Old 07-28-2009 at 05:50 PM   #27
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Cooking your own food is a lot cheaper than buying the same meal already made
Old 07-29-2009 at 12:03 PM   #28
shanntz

Liked: 2 Times

I also heard from my friends down at UWO, that Toronto market places ALWAYS have very competitive prices in terms of fresh veggies & meats.
So if you're down in the T.O to visit, bring along a cart and grab some goods before you head back up.
Old 07-29-2009 at 02:16 PM   #29
SSCLeadership

Liked: 12 Times

If you ever wanna check out Farmers Markets in downtown Hamilton, they have fresh and cheap foods that come in bulks! Check this out if you want, it has all the locations of Farmer Markets in Hamilton here, under the title "Mmmm Healthy". http://macpopthebubble.wordp ress.com/2009/07/

shanntz says thanks to SSCLeadership for this post.

.:callen:., ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 07-29-2009 at 02:30 PM   #30
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Microwave + Soup or Kraft Dinner = best balance between cost and healthiness (okay, well maybe not the Kraft dinner... but it's only $0.70 a box! ).