MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
building/modding guitars and effects jewfro9000 Music 19 09-19-2010 11:06 PM
Body Image Issues Anonymouse Body & Food 8 09-13-2010 09:15 PM
Body Art Series Pt2: Piercings kokosas Misc 15 07-16-2008 08:22 AM
Body Art Series Pt1: Tattoos kokosas Misc 8 06-30-2008 09:18 AM

The Effects of Caffeine on the Body

Caffeine has a variety of effects on basically all areas of the body. These effects can be good but can also be bad as well. Since caffeine effects everyone differently, knowing how it can impact you is very important. Generally, caffeine causes messages to be passed through your nervous system more quickly, blood pressure to rise, and causes your stomach to produce more acid. Caffeine also helps to wake you up and increase alertness, which are two of the more positive aspects of caffeine intake.

Every student intakes caffeine at some point or another, whether it be every morning with a cup of coffee or having energy drinks at exam time. Because of this, understanding all of the benefits and set-backs of caffeine is helpful. Caffeine not only impacts your physical body, but also your mind and even emotions as well. The negative side effects of caffeine listed above are most common in people who are generally not as healthy as they could be to begin with. However, if the person consuming the caffeine product is in overall good health, the effects of caffeine are usually positive or beneficial to the individual. Caffeine can be useful during long periods of studying as it has been proven to reduce boredom for a short period of time which comes from completing a repetitive task.

The most important thing to remember with caffeine is that it should always be taken in small doses. Also, a person who intakes caffeine on a regular basis will be more immune to it as opposed to a person who only rarely has it. Additionally, for people who are more sensitive to the effects of caffeine, it can even cause increased insomnia and stress in situations where normally the person would be fine.

Basically, when in-taking caffeine, know how much is good for you and if you start feeling shaky or stressed it's probably a good idea to stop drinking it for the day!

bloodywarz, optimism all say thanks to ksterne for this post.
Published by
Communications Intern

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 09-25-2010 at 09:07 AM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Actually, wasn't there a recent study that revealed that it's not "waking you up," it's just restoring coffee-drinkers to their regular energy level because they're experiencing a withdrawal? It's like getting their fix.

(Thus if a non-regular drinker suddenly decided to have a cup of Joe in the morning, they wouldn't feel much)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-25-2010 at 09:16 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Actually, wasn't there a recent study that revealed that it's not "waking you up," it's just restoring coffee-drinkers to their regular energy level because they're experiencing a withdrawal? It's like getting their fix.

(Thus if a non-regular drinker suddenly decided to have a cup of Joe in the morning, they wouldn't feel much)
Link?

6chars

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-25-2010 at 09:22 AM   #4
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Link?

6chars
Been looking for it. It was actually posted by somebody else on MI. D:<

Obviously not a reputable source, but the best I can find with a 2 second google search:
http://voices.washingtonpost .com/c... wake_you.html

Last edited by lawleypop : 09-25-2010 at 09:27 AM.

Old 09-25-2010 at 09:30 AM   #5
dhyong

Liked: 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Been looking for it. It was actually posted by somebody else on MI. D:<

Obviously not a reputable source, but the best I can find with a 2 second google search:
http://voices.washingtonpost .com/c... wake_you.html
http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v3...pp201071a.html

lawleypop says thanks to dhyong for this post.

Old 09-25-2010 at 10:53 AM   #6
Kayee

Liked: 2 Times
I have to drink a cup of coffee if I have 830 class and I hate it!

Rakim likes this.

Old 09-25-2010 at 11:01 AM   #7
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times
Its impossible for me to not feel "awake" without caffeine.

Old 09-25-2010 at 11:02 AM   #8
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayee View Post
You don't have to do anything. >_<

Old 09-25-2010 at 11:09 AM   #9
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayee View Post
Caffeine pills. They're little pink bundles of joy.

Rakim likes this.

Old 09-25-2010 at 11:26 AM   #10
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
Caffeine pills. They're little pink bundles of joy.
I'm guessing your talking about wake-ups or something found in a drug store. I find caffeine pills that you get from a supplement store (hence, 100% synthesized caffeine with minimum fillers) to be the better choice. They are usually a white color, with a chalky texture.

Old 09-25-2010 at 11:32 AM   #11
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlov View Post
I'm guessing your talking about wake-ups or something found in a drug store. I find caffeine pills that you get from a supplement store (hence, 100% synthesized caffeine with minimum fillers) to be the better choice. They are usually a white color, with a chalky texture.
Yeah, the ones from Shoppers, the Life Brand ones which are probably just repackaged Wake-Ups. Don't tease me about better ways of ingesting caffeine. Where's the closest supplements place I could snag from?

Old 09-25-2010 at 11:37 AM   #12
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times
In no way am I addicted, but I just loads of coffee because it tastes amazing.

Old 09-25-2010 at 11:56 AM   #13
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times
Timmys Double Double usually does the trick

Old 09-25-2010 at 11:56 AM   #14
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times
though a lot of it makes you pee lmao

Old 09-25-2010 at 12:01 PM   #15
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.p92 View Post
Timmys Double Double usually does the trick

I dislike Tim Horton's coffee, but would only buy it because it was cheap. Then I discovered Union Market coffee and never looked at Tim Hortons again.

Large, no sugar, skim milk, and a little cream

Article Tools