MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinion on Electives and Switching Electives Lily88 Academics 8 07-02-2012 12:09 PM
Electives MirandaC Academics 4 05-08-2011 12:13 PM
GPA and Electives ninjamachete First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 12-07-2010 03:29 PM
Help with Electives precious Academics 6 12-25-2009 07:11 AM
Electives help! jade177 Academics 8 11-30-2008 06:25 PM

Electives?

Old 08-07-2012 at 03:31 PM   #1
AnanC206
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

Electives?
I currently have geo 1ha3 and econ 1b03 as my electives, and am wondering if those electives are better than pol sci 1g06, as I am kind of interested in pol sci, however I am unsure of its difficulty. My other courses are already pretty difficult and I dont want to slave over an elective, plus I am unsure if I would enjoy pol sci. Some help please? If you took any of these courses could you let me know how you found them and if you enjoyed them? Thank youuu!
Old 08-07-2012 at 03:56 PM   #2
MacDaddy

Liked: 5 Times

http://www.macinsiders.com/forumdisp...s-98.html?f=98
Old 08-07-2012 at 04:09 PM   #3
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

I really enjoyed economics not only because the material was really easy, but that it was interesting too. As for political science, if you have knowledge in basic political events and terms, then this class would be both easy and interesting. 1G06 is not a hard course at all if you attend both tutorials and lectures. I would say both economics 1b03 and political science 1g06 are great courses, that both lectures are really good and that the material is easy enough if you do the readings and attend lectures/tutorials. Hope this helps

AnanC206 says thanks to Misspolitics for this post.
Old 08-07-2012 at 04:16 PM   #4
AnanC206
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misspolitics View Post
I really enjoyed economics not only because the material was really easy, but that it was interesting too. As for political science, if you have knowledge in basic political events and terms, then this class would be both easy and interesting. 1G06 is not a hard course at all if you attend both tutorials and lectures. I would say both economics 1b03 and political science 1g06 are great courses, that both lectures are really good and that the material is easy enough if you do the readings and attend lectures/tutorials. Hope this helps
Cool! Assuming you took pol sci 1g06, are the essays difficult? I'm okay at essays, but I don't really like them :/
Old 08-07-2012 at 04:17 PM   #5
person33

Liked: 53 Times

depends for poli sci 1G06 if you have to read "on liberty" if you hated reading Shakespeare and other old english books in high school or dont understand philosophy type books then you will definately find that one hard to understand especially if you dont have a good ta, i dont know if you can avoid the day class if there is a different prof with a different syllabus, but i also found that 1G06 was pretty boring overall especially for people who dont have particular interests in politics, especially cdn politics , i had already planned on majoring in it so i liked it other than the cdn part but a lot of 2nd year courses are a lot better and dont have a pre req of 1G06 so if you want to take better poli sci courses id wait till next year. i liked geo 1ha3, really easy and if you have dr peace , hes a fantastic prof
Old 08-07-2012 at 04:22 PM   #6
AnanC206
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by person33 View Post
depends for poli sci 1G06 if you have to read "on liberty" if you hated reading Shakespeare and other old english books in high school or dont understand philosophy type books then you will definately find that one hard to understand especially if you dont have a good ta, i dont know if you can avoid the day class if there is a different prof with a different syllabus, but i also found that 1G06 was pretty boring overall especially for people who dont have particular interests in politics, especially cdn politics , i had already planned on majoring in it so i liked it other than the cdn part but a lot of 2nd year courses are a lot better and dont have a pre req of 1G06 so if you want to take better poli sci courses id wait till next year. i liked geo 1ha3, really easy and if you have dr peace , hes a fantastic prof
Hmm, yeah I don't really know if I'd be interested in the material in pol sci, which is my main worry. What are some of the topics that were discussed and covered in the class? I wish there was an american politics class, because I'm slightly more interested in that :/ oh well.
Old 08-07-2012 at 05:06 PM   #7
Con19

Liked: 4 Times

First off, Dr. Alway is fantastic (1G06 prof). Second, the course is a survey of the fields of Political Science that can be specialized in the upper years (Comparative politics, Public policy, International Relations, Canadian politics, and Political theory). So basically you get a taste of everything and obviously some areas are more interesting to some than others. It really is a great course though. My t.a was great and I hadn't heard about any bad ta's, which is important when so much of your mark is subjectively marked by them.
Old 08-07-2012 at 05:07 PM   #8
AnanC206
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con19 View Post
First off, Dr. Alway is fantastic (1G06 prof). Second, the course is a survey of the fields of Political Science that can be specialized in the upper years (Comparative politics, Public policy, International Relations, Canadian politics, and Political theory). So basically you get a taste of everything and obviously some areas are more interesting to some than others. It really is a great course though. My t.a was great and I hadn't heard about any bad ta's, which is important when so much of your mark is subjectively marked by them.
How hard was the 10 page essay? Thats what I'm worried about the most, and is why I'm still questioning whether I should take this course or not.
Old 08-07-2012 at 05:13 PM   #9
Con19

Liked: 4 Times

10 pages is really not that long as you move on into your degree program. Personally, my essay ended up being like 12 pages because we were allowed to choose the topic so if you're writing about something you enjoy, 10 pages fly by. Plus you write out an outline that is marked and your t.a looks it over and should help you help you out with the weaknesses and point out the strengths.

AnanC206 says thanks to Con19 for this post.
Old 08-07-2012 at 05:25 PM   #10
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misspolitics View Post
The essays were pretty basic and in most tutorials in first year, they give you the basics on what should be included in a proper essay. The essays in 1G06 prepare you for your second and third year courses because it makes you debate your point more objectively than any other course. This is a huge bonus if you plan on taking other electives that might make you write essays based on proving your point in your third or fourth years. I also saw I forgot to mention the book "On Liberty" This novel is not really that bad, but it's personal preference.
Old 08-08-2012 at 01:06 AM   #11
Goran

Liked: 43 Times

Econ 1B03-I personally didn't like it all that much. Yeah, its an easy class, and you never have to go to lectures since Holmes posts everything on Avenue, but the material is really dry and Holmes apparently made it a lot harder after all the cheating in the 2010 class.

Geo 1HA3-Super, super easy class. I had Mercier and everything on the midterm/final was 100% from lectures, so always go to class but don't bother buying a textbook. There are 4 assignments though, so it might be more work than you'll expect from an elective. There's an essay and a group project which could screw you over if you get stuck with a shitty group.

Pol Sci 1G06-Pretty simple, can be boring at times for sure. Generally the essay/test are not too bad if you're a decent writer and can connect different topics well. I wouldn't recommend it if you suck at writing since this is a 6 unit course so it'll hit your average pretty hard if you get a low mark.
Old 08-08-2012 at 09:49 AM   #12
campbekn

I took both 1G06 and Econ 1B03 - I HATED 1B03 and it showed in the mark. 1G06 exams are really straightforward as long as you attend lectures, and the second semester paper is a lot easier then the first semester one.
Old 08-08-2012 at 04:55 PM   #13
AnanC206
Account Disabled by User

the fact that geo 1ha3 is so easy is making this so difficult to choose! Are there any other easy, mildly interesting electives offered in sedcond semester?