MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Terribly slow internet healthsci1 Computers & Tech 37 03-28-2010 04:12 PM
Slow Internet? J-Met General Discussion 6 01-24-2009 10:55 AM
"Meatiest" Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili temara.brown Recipes 1 01-05-2009 09:16 PM
Slow LAN Speeds for DC++ BHChew First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-08-2008 11:43 PM

ELM - Slow and lags

Old 09-14-2009 at 12:03 AM   #61
smiles

Liked: 20 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen View Post
Learnlink is faster because no one uses it. Also if its because of sever load that elms so slow why didnt we experience something this bad with webct.
I don't know, why don't we experience this kind of thing with Google when millions of people are on it at once all the time? All I can say is... different systems work differently, maybe WebCT deals with overload better than ELM.
Old 09-14-2009 at 12:10 AM   #62
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles View Post
I don't know, why don't we experience this kind of thing with Google when millions of people are on it at once all the time? All I can say is... different systems work differently, maybe WebCT deals with overload better than ELM.
Different systems take different amounts of resources, but they have specific #s on how many people will use elm so they should have designed the system accordingly. As for google never being slow they have amazing programmers who know what their doing and they have more servers than you can imagine.
Old 09-14-2009 at 12:19 AM   #63
smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen View Post
Different systems take different amounts of resources, but they have specific #s on how many people will use elm so they should have designed the system accordingly. As for google never being slow they have amazing programmers who know what their doing and they have more servers than you can imagine.
Yeah... my point is that the problem is probably based on overload. For example, it's really fast now at 1 am.
Old 09-14-2009 at 12:26 AM   #64
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles View Post
Yeah... my point is that the problem is probably based on overload. For example, it's really fast now at 1 am.
I get wat your trying to say, but overload should have been considered. Since the designers knew that there are 20000 students at mac so they should have designed a system that would have worked with that kind of usage. However, they didnt so they were complete idiots.

lawleypop, niteskie like this.
Old 09-14-2009 at 12:33 AM   #65
smiles

Haha. I agree with you... I am in no way defending ELM. I think it sucks too.
Old 09-14-2009 at 07:56 AM   #66
thatdudeukno

****ING *******S!!! I pay over 7 grand in tuition for this shit?
Old 09-14-2009 at 09:54 AM   #67
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdudeukno View Post
****ING *******S!!! I pay over 7 grand in tuition for this shit?
Yep. Sounds about right.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-14-2009 at 10:05 AM   #68
PilotMal

Liked: 30 Times

I'm pretty sure they're trying to sort this stuff out now. I was talking to one of my profs about it this morning and apparently there's a lot of bugs, especially since it was just integrated September 1st. The school has been in contact with the designing company and you can be sure they've had enough bitchin' come their way to get this solved.

For now, I'd say to just be patient and keep persevering with ELM; it sucks now, but it will [hopefully] get better.
Old 09-14-2009 at 12:02 PM   #69
samikas

Liked: 4 Times

Elms blows. I don't care if it's a new system, or if there is overload, that should have been looked after, tested, thought out before the school year began. 4 out of my 5 classes are using the system, with profs and students alike depending on it to be robust, fast, and accessible. I say, FAIL to whomever decided to go forward with it.
Old 09-14-2009 at 12:56 PM   #70
MilesMee

Liked: 0 Times

this program is worse than ****ing mugsi and thats saying something
Old 09-14-2009 at 01:27 PM   #71
Myaccount

Liked: 3 Times

Half an hour ago, it had three courses out, now it's saying I have no courses. Laaaaaaame.
Old 09-14-2009 at 01:32 PM   #72
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myaccount View Post
Half an hour ago, it had three courses out, now it's saying I have no courses. Laaaaaaame.
Yeah, I'm having problems loading the individual course pages... by problems I mean it's not loading at all :\
Old 09-14-2009 at 01:45 PM   #73
smiles

ELM is giving me this message now instead of loading like it's supposed to:

"We are encountering load problems with ELM. We are actively working with Blackboard to resolve the problem. This is not indicative of how the system will normally operate. Blackboard is providing us the highest priority support with this issue.

We appreciate your patience as we work to resolve the issue with ELM."

Let's just hope that they resolve this damn issue soon.
Old 09-14-2009 at 02:19 PM   #74
Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times

For people in Biology courses and didn't attend classes today...the department has set up a temporary page on their website for profs to post notes and such at
http://www.biology.mcmaster. ca/course_info/

Harlequin, jhan523, maclover, manu, syaseen all say thanks to Omega_X13 for this post.
Old 09-14-2009 at 03:48 PM   #75
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

^^ you saved my life, mate! thanks a lot!