MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EZ-MUGSI, an alternative to ALT-F4 SPAM Q-tips First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 85 08-10-2011 10:11 AM
Email Spam ddrsakuramax General Discussion 59 08-07-2011 11:06 PM
How to setup my McMaster email to my apple email on my Macbook? ibro95 Computers & Tech 3 07-19-2011 02:30 PM
Spam on Macinsiders? J-Met General Discussion 16 12-23-2010 12:16 AM
Anyone else getting (what appears to be) Facebook spam? Kathy2 Computers & Tech 2 02-13-2010 01:39 AM

Email Spam {Solution}

Old 08-07-2011 at 09:22 PM   #1
HenryCheung

Liked: 12 Times

Email Spam {Solution}
Problem: Someone on facebook has used McMaster's first generation email as their facebook email, the intention of this person's actions are unknown, but regardless it has created an obvious spam problem with McMaster students. The blame should be McMaster's poor security, allowing public access to their mailing list. If McMaster's tech support is any indication it may take them quite sometime to fix this problem, especially since it's summer.

General Solution:
Have no fear though, in the mean time you can add a filter to stop the spam, simply add a filter which excludes all email sent TO "[email protected] .ca"

Please post instructions for other email services such as Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. as I myself am not familiar with them.

Other Solution:
Stop responding to email's sent to
"[email protected] .ca", however not knowing the extent of the mailing list, this might be difficult to accomplish.

For Gmail Users:

1.Go to Top Right corner gear icon
2.Select "Mail Settings"
2.Select "Filters" tab
3.Select "Create new filter"
4.In the "To:" input box add the following: "[email protected] .ca" (without quotations of course)
5.Click "Next Step"
6.Select "Delete" and "Skip the Inbox (Archive it)"
7.Hit "Create New Filter"
8.You're Done

Last edited by HenryCheung : 08-07-2011 at 09:30 PM.

J. Dorey, L'Étoile all say thanks to HenryCheung for this post.

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 08-07-2011 at 11:08 PM   #2
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Some of these emails are actually amusing

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 08-07-2011 at 11:31 PM   #3
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoko View Post
Some of these emails are actually amusing
Such as the ones dealing with how certain language and behaviour is not acceptable for Mac emails. At first I was SO mad, now I'm just laughing at everything.

Watoko likes this.
Old 08-08-2011 at 12:45 AM   #4
AgentTMa

Liked: 3 Times

This person is Alex Zhang, and its pree f-ed up that he comes up with this idea to spam everyone. he prob doesn't have a life and so he decides to do this to get some attention, even tho its negative attention he just willing to have any attention.
Old 08-08-2011 at 01:49 AM   #5
aya017

Liked: 22 Times

I don't get the emails. I'm curious, what do they say??
Old 08-08-2011 at 11:30 AM   #6
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTMa View Post
This person is Alex Zhang, and its pree f-ed up that he comes up with this idea to spam everyone. he prob doesn't have a life and so he decides to do this to get some attention, even tho its negative attention he just willing to have any attention.
He explained in one of the emails that his Facebook account was hacked. He's not sending anything.
Old 08-08-2011 at 12:01 PM   #7
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

It was still pretty funny. Actually quite genius. We spammed each other LOL -_-