MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My timetable + Concerns!! ENG! PROF?? mfattal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 08-08-2011 07:56 PM
Need New Laptop any suggestions? merc67 Computers & Tech 10 07-28-2011 11:51 AM
Advice/Suggestions ? L'Étoile Academics 28 06-01-2011 03:11 PM
Game suggestions The_Silencer Gaming 11 11-24-2008 02:39 PM

Eng 1 Timetable & Prof List - Suggestions?

Old 08-09-2011 at 08:06 PM   #1
michiidee

Liked: 0 Times

Eng 1 Timetable & Prof List - Suggestions?
Hi, I'm a First Year Eng student trying to workout a decent timetable.
I prefer my classes during the day and like my end of the week to be lighter

I've posted my Term 1 below. Please feel free to make any suggestions or comments.

I wasn't able to find some of my profs listed with the courses.. is that normal? & can someone tell me when that info would be available.

So far I've got...

MATH 1ZA3 C02 - MCLEAN, C
MATH 1ZA3 T01 - CHILDS, A
PHYSICS 1D03 - MCKAY, NL
ECON 1B03 - HOLMES, H
ENG 1C03 C01 - DOYLE, T
ENG 1P03 C03 - FLEISIG, RV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg term1.JPG (171.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg term2.JPG (165.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-09-2011 at 08:11 PM   #2
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

McLean is pretty good for Math. For 1ZA3 almost all of the profs are good, so it doesn't matter too much. For the tutorial it'll be run by TA's, so you don't really have a prof there.

For 1C03/1P03, Doyle/Fleisig teach all the cores (if it's the same as every other year), so you've got no options there. They aren't the best, but they aren't that bad either. Doyle put me to sleep though, EVERY LECTURE. That was legitimately the only class I've fallen asleep in every time without fail (until I decided I could stop walking 15 minutes to go to class and sleep and just stay at rez and sleep :p)

michiidee says thanks to Zimonada for this post.

InvisoBill likes this.
Old 08-09-2011 at 08:32 PM   #3
michiidee

Liked: 0 Times

Should I bother changing anything with the way the classes are set up?
Old 08-09-2011 at 08:33 PM   #4
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Someone told me that McLean is the only good prof for 1ZC3 though :o
Old 08-09-2011 at 08:52 PM   #5
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiidee View Post
Should I bother changing anything with the way the classes are set up?
IMO you've got probably one of the nicer Eng timetables I've seen, it's pretty evenly spaced out. The only thing is you have a fair number of 1 hour breaks, which is either great or terrible; they're awesome cause you get an hour to chill (or actually do work, but usually just chill for all the effort it takes to get started) and eat or do whatever, but they're also bad because usually not a lot of productivity happens within those 1 hour breaks. In that sense, longer breaks are better because you get more time to actually sit down and get some stuff done. Personally though, with longer breaks I just chilled longer, so they're only really helpful if you actually make use of them :p

Other than that, I'd move your physics lab/tutorial if you could, but there's nowhere else you can really stick it... I guess you could have it on Tuesday/Wednesday afternoon and just conflict with Econ, but that's not ideal. Everyone here seems to say Econ is a super-skippable class though, so maybe it's not that bad. That's mostly because I hate morning labs, and hate physics, and mine was on a Friday, so I kinda have something against that; but if you can deal with it, leave it there and get it out of the way for the week.

Oh, and maybe consider moving your 1P03 lectures. I didn't know they had 1P03 lectures during the day this year, last year they were both night classes (2 hours, either Monday or Wednesday), so I don't know if it'd be better or not. I actually didn't mind the night class since it was shorter than the traditional 3-hour night class, so it was more bearable. Plus if you pay attention, the material can actually be interesting (though people say otherwise). Anyway, if you switched it to a night class, you'd free up your Fridays for the most part, since there'd be no more 1P03 and you can just skip Econ. Not to mention you'd have 2 days where you don't start at 12:30, which can be FANTASTIC (especially since you'll have the 1P03 and 1C03 group projects in one term, could mean quite a few late nights...) :p

On that note though, see if you can swap 1C03 with 1D04 in second term. Supposedly 1D04 was much harder in second term, though iunno how true that is. More importantly, 1C03 has a group project (as does 1P03), so if you have 1C03 second term, then you split up the group projects, which might make it more manageable. On the other hand, half of the eng kids have 1C03 first term, so half of them do both projects at the same time, and most of them make it through I guess :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Someone told me that McLean is the only good prof for 1ZC3 though :o
Well, for 1ZA3 you've got Childs and McLean, who have both been here a while (I think) and know their stuff, and can teach well. Then you have Mares, who came here last year, and has supposedly gotten pretty decent (I had him for his first class, and by the time he started improving I stopped going to his class and teaching myself). At least he tries pretty hard anyway. And he rides a bike with mirrors on his helmet, which I always find hilarious when I see him.

For 1ZC3, McLean is really the only good prof since the other two (last year and this year) were Asian, and I presume they have pretty hefty accents again this year too. Zhao is back from last year, I actually liked him, though everyone else seemed to hate him. His accent was kinda bad but he taught pretty decently IMO. Plus some of the things he said were good for a chuckle (because of the accent...). The other prof I'm not sure about. But yeah, McLean is probably the only consistently good prof for 1ZC3, because he has no accent AND can teach well!

Last edited by Zimonada : 08-09-2011 at 08:55 PM.