MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I transfer from electrical to tron? vagabond Academics 2 03-31-2014 09:30 AM
Med Phys 1E03 and Med Phys 2B03?? chelseac First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 04-14-2012 09:32 PM
So, how are you tron people finding mechatronics? Ownaginatios Academics 16 10-24-2010 11:53 PM
Getting a head start in Tron Boolean Academics 7 06-13-2010 07:24 PM

Eng Phys 3W04 and other tron courses

Old 08-28-2014 at 04:11 PM   #16
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

To be straight with you, I have never heard of those. So I haven't the foggiest. A quick search yielded the following:

<startDescription>
Digital image formation and representation; filtering, enhancement and restoration; edge detection; discrete image transforms; encoding and compression; segmentation; recognition and interpretation; 3D imagery; applications. Three lectures, one tutorial, one lab every other week; second term Prerequisite(s): ELEC ENG 3TP4, 3TQ4 or STATS 3Y03 Antirequisite(s): COMP ENG 4TN3 Not offered in 2011-2012.
<endDescription>

Some of the topics* are covered in (small) part in Mech 4K03, more towards the end. It also reminds me of a few topics touched upon in other courses (SFWR 2MX3 and another course I cannot name for the life of me right now -- oh, and Eng Phys 3W04 in a pinch since it relates to mathematical simulation).

Is it useful for Tron/Robotics? Certainly. It seems excellent specifically for navigation algorithms, where a robot would use visual feedback to either map an area or reach a destination by following landmarks and/or cues.

* Image processing, edge detection, discrete image transforms and encoding/compression.

Last edited by Zachary : 08-28-2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Lucidity.
Old 08-28-2014 at 05:01 PM   #17
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Thanks for the answers. What Software Electives do you think are the easiest?

I'm just asking because I went thru all the course outlines and lectures for Software electives I could find, and couldn't understand a single topic. So I just picked the two courses with profs best rated on ratemyprofessor.

It's almost like every single class in the elective list A, has nothing to do with anything Tron students have seen so far.

Quote:
Software 4O03: Optimisation
Does what it says on the tin: course that deals with optimisation algorithms (Bellman-Ford, Djikstra et cetera). If you don't know what those are, no worries: neither did I going in. It helps to read up on them a wee bit beforehand, though. Usual assignments, midterm, exam format. No programming, at least not explicitly. Prof Deza is an absolute treat and really cares whether you were able to understand something or not.
Could you suggest a book I should read to prepare myself better for this course?

Last edited by GeorgeLucas : 08-28-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-29-2014 at 01:32 PM   #18
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

I can't think of anything off of the top of my head right now -- I'll edit this post later and add a recommendation as it comes to me (I hope).

For a cursory overview of what the course is about (sort of the history behind it and what it involves), check out this wiki article. I should add that 'Operations Research' is a much more appropriate name for the 4O03 course -- optimisation is but a (big) part of what it involves.

If you do find yourself at sixes and sevens picking technical electives, you can't go wrong with Security (4C03), Operations Research (4O03) , and Databases (4DB3).

Last edited by Zachary : 08-29-2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Rebellious brackets.
Old 10-09-2014 at 11:28 PM   #19
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

What can you tell me about Software Engineering 4J03?

4O03 turned out to be a bunch of ass, looking for something that at least has a textbook or slides that make sense and aren't borrowed from a 3rd party resource.
Old 10-10-2014 at 12:54 AM   #20
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

If Rong Zheng is going to be teaching 4J03 (as she did last year), DO NOT take the course. She's the second worst prof (after Dr. Janicki) I've ever come across and the material in the course (comm systems) is the driest stuff I've ever laid my eyes on. Rong Zheng is the reason I wouldn't recommend SFWR 4C03 anymore either as Dr. Soltys left Mac and this course is being taught by Dr. Zheng now.

However, if Douglas Down were to teach the course (as he did a couple years ago), it would definitely be comprehendible and maybe worth taking as you'll definitely walk out of the course having learned something (since its Dougy).

Also, I don't know how people appreciate Dr. Deza so much. Yes, he's not an a-hole and most likely would never fail you, but he's really bad at teaching IMO. Not only is he hard to understand because of his accent, he also writes illegibly on the board..

Would like to mention: You should be fine with any course taught by Dr. Douglas Down, Dr. Fei Chiang, or Dr Robert Teather. These are the best profs I've come across at Mac, aside from Dr. Michael Soltys, who unfortunately left Mac this year. So SFWR 4DB3 is a good choice since its taught by Dr. Chiang.

Last edited by nikJ : 10-10-2014 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Grammar